It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Apartment Complex Bans Flying the American Flag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Oregon Apartment Complex Bans Flying the American Flag

www.foxnews.com

An Oregon apartment complex is banning its residents from flying American flags, not only from their dwellings but also their vehicles, KATU in Portland reported.

The ban also applies to flag stickers on cars, as well as sports flags.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Wow... this is what it is coming down too.

Everyone afraid of stepping on someone's toes and feelings, that our nation's flag is no longer able to be viewed.

It is sad, sad times my friends. This is "PC" to the extreme.

Personally, I would love to be living there at the moment and have them try to evict me.. since I would immediately be getting some sort of flag paint job on my car.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Come to America, we won't fly our flag so as not to offend you.

I'm sure they will not be following up witht the threat of eviction now that its gotten national attention.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Are they banning all flags or just American?
I know of a complex that won't let you fly any flags on any type of poles because they're afraid if someone runs into one and gets hurt they'll be sued.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Look up "American flag" and then "Military Flag of America." According to Jordan Maxwell, what most people would consider to be an American Flag is actually a Military Flag.

So, what you go around parading and flying is actually not an American Flag at all...it's a War Flag. We are constantly at War it seems. Makes sense to fly the Military Flag then. Call it whatever name you want. It is what it is.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
If Americans aren't allowed to fly the stars and stripes, they will have no idea what country they're living in and all hell will break loose.

Joking aside, I'm really not surprised at this. We bend over backwards and extend courtesies to immigrants which would be totally denied us if we went to their countries. Some say that makes us civillized. No that makes us pushovers.

However let's keep it in perspective. So far it's just Oregon. Perhaps public outcry will stop this politically correct madness before it can spread.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

Completely not true, that War flag stuff is only a BS rumor based on an untrue Conspiracy Theory:

Idiot Legal Arguments: A Casebook for Dealing with Extremist Legal Arguments
US Atty-Gen 483 [1925] that "In flag manufacture a fringe is not considered to be a part of the flag and it is without heraldic significance." and citing most other published court cases on this topic); Schneider v. Schlaefer

State v. Martz (Ohio App. unpub 6/9/97) app.dismissed 80 Ohio St.3d 1423, 685 NE2d 237 ("Appellant claims the trial court was without jurisdiction ... because the courtroom displayed a military style US flag with gold fringe. We disagree."); (claimed the fringe on the American flag "the court was thus a foreign power, and the trial judge was the supreme ruler of a foreign power, devoid of any jurisdiction over him")

Sadlier v. Payne (D Utah 1997) 974 F.Supp 1411; McCann v. Greenway (WD Mo 1997) 952 F.Supp 647; Schneider v. Schlaefer (ED Wisc 1997) 975 F.Supp 1160 (all three quoting the 1925 US Atty-Gen Opinion); similarly for anything yellow on tip of flagpole. Dulisse v. Twardowski (ED Penn unpub 7/16/98). [The nitwits have amongst themselves this strange superstition that the presence of a gold trim on a courtroom's flag somehow imposes some different sort of law than what's expected -- although they cannot get their stories straight on whether it's martial law or maritime law, the two being very different. They have absolutely no legal authority for any of this and seem to be making it up as they go along. They don't seem to have noticed that the gold trim appears only on INDOOR flags, which are made of fairly flimsy material and would hang limp and drab without either breeze or sunlight indoors, so the gold trim provides some esthetic compensation for the lack of sunlight and breeze, and that all OUTDOOR flags, even the ones at military bases and on ships, don't have this fringe, because outdoor flags are made of heavier fabric and the wind and damp would soon ruin a fringe. Back in 1925 the US Attorney-General relied on the opinion of the predecessor to the US Army's Institute of Heraldry that the fringe was not an addition or alteration of the flag, and therefore not illegal, and moreover had no symbolic meaning. Currently the Institute of Heraldry and the non-government Flag Research Center both issue fact sheets debunking this militia myth about the fringe on the flag. There apparently has NEVER been a successful challenge to a court's decision or jurisdiction based on the absence of a correct flag or the presence of an "incorrect" flag in the courtroom.

[edit on 10/15/2009 by defcon5]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

we British here in British n.ireland are already in the same mess... where flying the flag of our country is banned in all our government buildings in case it offends the irish

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
In the block of flats I live in you aren't allowed to fly flags, or have fairy lights and things hanging on the balcony (no problems with plants, flowers, veg, etc).

I think it's a reasonable request, frankly flags and lights make the place look a bit tacky.

link   
Maaaaan, this multiple post malarky is really starting to wind me up!

I'm really sorry about this, better stop using this computer!

[edit on 15-10-2009 by DenyAllKnowledge]

link   
Maaaaan, this multiple post malarky is really starting to wind me up!

I'm really sorry about this, better stop using this computer!

[edit on 15-10-2009 by DenyAllKnowledge]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I completely agree, it's a military flag

also, if an overwhelming large majority of the nation's money goes towards military funding it's also a military country

so, it makes sense that a military country could only have a military flag

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hmm sounds a bit sensational. Gasp its from Fox News! I wonder if there's a connection?

Clausen learned on Wednesday that American flags and others such as Mexican flags and college team flags were no longer allowed on vehicles parked at the complex.

There is no specific language in the tenants' rental agreement about flags, but there is a clause that permits the owners to control what goes on in the apartments' common areas. Clausen was surprised to learn the manager was interpreting this to pertain to flags.

Source

Seriously though, this thread should go in the US madness forum.

Lets not argue about the flag while the rug gets pulled out from under us.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Actually the point he made was not related to the gold fringe. It was related to having red and white vertical stripes instead of horizontal ones.

He (Jordan) quotes from a section of a book and then references to another site.

Honestly I think if the truth is somewhere, I'm afraid it'll be hard to find and verify. You can always question the validity of the source.

Here's a link to one of his pages. The bit about the flag (including 2 footnotes) is about 70% of the length down:

www.jordanmaxwell.com...

By no means am I saying it's true, but it's worth checking out. Another site I had looked at said that the gold fringes would deteriorate in the outside weather, so that is why they are only used indoors. As far as the Eagle atop it, well some say it has something to do with the French word for dove and some kind of ritual where the dove turns into a hawk; I don't remember too much about that, but they did mention Colin Powel.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Finally there is a place in the US where there is no flag flying the stars and
stripes !

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
[edit on 15-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Seriously, this is just a news story about one wackadoodle who took the idea of p.c. too far. Pretty lame, but had to know that as soon as the tenants made it public knowledge, she would have to back down. That's what happens often, when one makes decisions based on what one "thinks" others want to see/hear.

Originally posted by The Savage Khan
Hmm sounds a bit sensational. Gasp its from Fox News! I wonder if there's a connection?

It's my observation that any story on Fox News regarding OR will be sensationalized and/ or marginalized to "left-wing loonies" or something like that. It's ok, we all know that deep down, O'Reilly and the rest of the "crew" really love us.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If I had the money, I would go door to door and give EVERYONE in that complex a flag to display all at the same time.

What are they going to do when EVERYONE is flying the flag?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
People finally woke up there in management. looks like enough people complained and woke the manager up . She was informed that she was breaking the law by this ban.

ALBANY, Ore. -- Flags are OK again at an Albany apartment complex after the property manager reviewed the policy and decided she didn't have the legal standing to ban flags from the exteriors of apartments and vehicles parked at the complex. "If people want to fly any flag of any nationality, it's their right," said Barb Holcomb with Oaks Apartments.

Source:

Flag ban lifted at Oaks Apartments after outcry

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The flag ban has been lifted.

www.katu.com...

ALBANY, Ore. -- Flags are OK again at an Albany apartment complex after the property manager reviewed the policy and decided she didn't have the legal standing to ban flags from the exteriors of apartments and vehicles parked at the complex.

"If people want to fly any flag of any nationality, it's their right," said Barb Holcomb with Oaks Apartments.

Wise move on their behalf, considering how stupid it was to begin with.

top topics

join