It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record October cold has folks scrambling to winterize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

A record-breaking cold snap that has made this the most frigid start in memory for October has people scrambling to winterize home, car and self.

"This really has never that happened in the time that most people have been here, so it's really remarkable," said National Weather Service meteorologist Matt Solum.

In Billings, record lows were set each of the last three days, while on Friday a low temperature of 18 degrees tied the record from 1993. Each consecutive low has been more frigid still, with Saturday bringing a record of 16 degrees; Sunday, 14 degrees; and Monday, 13 degrees.

The record-breaking streak ended Tuesday morning, with a low of 25 degrees. The record cold for Oct. 13 is 20 degrees, set in 1969.

The biting cold has people scurrying to amass winter gear.

"We see a lot of farm and ranch clients, and they're usually out working, so, when it gets cold, they can't work and they start coming to town and shopping," said Nancy Reichert, assistant manager at Shipton's Big R.

A surge in demand at Shipton's for insulated bib overalls and jeans, thick Carhartt jackets and ice scrapers always follows the first temperature dip, but this year the dip has come earlier than usual.

According to the National Weather Service, Oct. 28 is the earliest date that temperatures of 16 or lower have hit Billings in the past. October's start is turning out to be the coldest ever, with an average daily temperature that is almost 6 degrees lower than previous benchmarks.

billingsgazette.com...

The Sun's activity is still very quite, even though from time to time there have been some sunspots, it has not been enough to stop the slow activity that has plagued the surace of the Sun the past 3years +

As this continues we will continue to experience earlier, and earlier winters, as well as colder winters.

So far this winter seems set to be a bad one. So those who will be affected by winter soon, on the northern hemisphere should prepare.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Funny, I've been scrambling to winterize myself. Related to survival- I wonder how people are well equipped for extreme and/or unexpected cold. I wish I could score high end goose down on the cheap.

Interesting point about the sun.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Well theres one group of minions that will be rubbing there hands in glee rather than cold this winter.

Gas and electricity companies, yet again, regardless of where you come from.

Pathetic

[edit on 15-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
So far in England we have had one of the warmest Octobers I can remember.

In the midlands most days have been about 70F. Though it's starting to be misty in the mornings, but no frosts yet.

Some great Autumn pictures here

Stunning pictures that herald the arrival of Autumn

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Those were some really nice pictures there, made my morning along with my coffee. Thanks.

It has been a miserable spring, summer and autumn is not changing that in Scotland where I am from.

I expect it to be the same this winter, if you expect the worst its always a pleasant surprise if you get anything else over here

Its costing me £310 quid a month here to heat my home by the way hence me moaning about gas and electricity.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
that would be a heat wave, here in missoula we hit 9 above one night and 11 above a nother with about a 20mph wind... the temps them self are not bad, yesterday we were at 24 for a low and i was out at work in a shirt, no coat, its when the wind blows that gets me.
But its definatly early, quite the indian summer we are having..
Unless its going to be a real montana winter for a change..
should warm up this week a bit, not sure what the predictions are past that.

new topics

top topics

join