It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Earthquake Swarm at Yellowstone- October 14, 2009

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

It has become more an "Official Yellowstone caldera news thread" than one solely for the 2008/2009 swarm, and it obtained a somewhat "mythical" status (I think it's the biggest thread on ATS) so it's a bit disappointing seeing it ending in this way.

By the way, earthquake swarms occur almost monthly on Yellowstone, but of course they're not all dense of events like this last one (which is still not comparable to the December 2008 one, though).

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
I personally think it's because they want to avoid as much as possible alarmists getting excited at watching in real time tenths of earthquakes popping up in their lists and posting "imminent catastrophe" videos on Youtube, like it happened last year during the December 2008 swarm.

In other words, they're intentionally suppressing (potentially) life saving data from an unworthy public, even though we're the ones funding it?

I completely understand.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I don't mean to downplay this thread.
This is important info and I'll be keeping an eye on it. I just meant to alert everyone that we HAVE seen this before.

That being said, I suppose we need to talk about it in case... well, you know.

Good thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

No, they're actually not, since full data will eventually be available after earthquakes are reviewed by seismologists. They're only delaying it so that it doesn't appear in real-time. Of course, this is only my conjecture. When earthquakes are big enough they can't ignore them (their automatic detection systems would capture them anyway, since they haven't been completely disabled).

[edit on 2009-10-15 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wormwood Squirm

The Growler (EA-18G) is just an electronic attack (radar jamming) aircraft. Contrary to what the name conjures up in the head, it does not sound different from any other F-18. I highly doubt that the widespread sounds being heard by people in the northeast are formations of said jet.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

I am sure it is military related though.
Probably those darn tunnelers again on their way to hook up area 51 with seattle!
I even started a thread about it when they came through here!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Of course the ptb denied everything and said the geologists
were full of it!
Nah, thats not suspicious at all!

www.projectcamelot.net...
www.whale.to...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-10-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

It's late here... I was just being a little sarcastic. If they really wanted to suppress it, we wouldn't be watching it in RT -2:00m in GEE.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I have lived here in the Pacific Northwest for over thirty years now. I have heard many fighter jets, been through all the Mount St Helens erruptions and several earthquakes.

The rumbling that I have heard is NOT a plane. My husband retired from the Navy after 20 years and he would have immediately been able to identify which plane it was....if it had been a plane, which it was not.

I still believe that it is NOT a man-made sound. It sounds like thunder from far away, only it lasts too long and the sound is too low, without the cracking associated with thunder. You can hear it as much as you feel it...which is why I think it is resonating. It makes me think of a volcano rumbling (sounded like Helens when it errupted) except for I have found no correlation with seismisity when I have heard it.

I first started noticing it when Yellowstone started acting up, so I will be VERY curious to see if it picks up with this possible new cluster. If there is a system of lava flows connected underground, then we shall see....

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
ANOTHER 18-event (so far) micro swarm is occurring right now.

If this is anything like the last one in January, then we are just in the beginning stages of this. This puts us up in the 50 to 60 event region right now, in only a couple of hours.

Does anyone recall what the top magnitude single quake was during the last swarm? Wasn't it like 4.9? Meaning, of course, that we may well see a larger event or two within this swarm if it continues, which apparently, for the moment, it is.

The more I think about it the more I think it makes absolute sense to keep this thread because it is a new swarm. Imagine two months from now trying to figure out which page the new swarm started on in the mega thread. No thanks. This works better, and this swarm is now clearly a distinct event from the last one.

But there is no reason anyone can't continue to update the other thread.

[edit on Thu Oct 15th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

The strongest event during last December 2008 swarm was 3.87 magnitude, but there were many 3.0 + magnitude earthquakes as well. It was a rather intense swarm, not comparable at all with this one.

Have a look here, start from December 27 2008:
theinterveners.org...

I don't think any of the earthquakes occurred during this October 2009 swarm have been bigger than 2.2-2.3 magnitude.

[edit on 2009-10-15 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Here is everything in that area from USGS, 1.0+:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

MAP 1.0 2009/10/14 15:47:42 44.318 -110.558 5.2 58 km ( 36 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 1.7 2009/10/14 13:41:59 44.317 -110.557 5.9 58 km ( 36 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 1.1 2009/10/14 13:12:31 44.319 -110.544 4.6 59 km ( 36 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 2.0 2009/10/14 13:02:00 44.315 -110.548 6.0 59 km ( 37 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 1.7 2009/10/13 17:34:10 44.661 -109.998 12.3 40 km ( 25 mi) S of Cooke City-Silver Gate, MT
MAP 1.1 2009/10/13 14:48:13 44.678 -110.455 2.5 45 km ( 28 mi) SSE of Gardiner, MT
MAP 1.7 2009/10/13 11:23:27 44.666 -110.001 11.4 39 km ( 24 mi) S of Cooke City-Silver Gate, MT

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

This latest micro swarm has now reached over 30 events on its own, and continues. This could heat up to more intense, so I am not ready to compare the two yet, at least for several days. I say micro swarm to distinguish it as a separate cluster of grouped micro quakes from this overall swarm, which is now up into the 70's of events in just this short time.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

I have lived here in the Pacific Northwest for over thirty years now. I have heard many fighter jets, been through all the Mount St Helens erruptions and several earthquakes.

The rumbling that I have heard is NOT a plane. My husband retired from the Navy after 20 years and he would have immediately been able to identify which plane it was....if it had been a plane, which it was not.

I still believe that it is NOT a man-made sound. It sounds like thunder from far away, only it lasts too long and the sound is too low, without the cracking associated with thunder. You can hear it as much as you feel it...which is why I think it is resonating. It makes me think of a volcano rumbling (sounded like Helens when it errupted) except for I have found no correlation with seismisity when I have heard it.

I first started noticing it when Yellowstone started acting up, so I will be VERY curious to see if it picks up with this possible new cluster. If there is a system of lava flows connected underground, then we shall see....

OK come to think of it I am just outside Vancouver and I do hear and feel rumblings at night but that is logging. What do they do in the NW? They log. What I hear is big loads of trees being dropped onto ships and trucks.

Anywhere near NW Washington state could be logging or planes. The latest round of plane noises are from new Growlers with new engines that sound completely different. These engines are brand new to everyone.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

i dont think all these unusual sounds in all the different threads can be these new engines you talk about and also give as the reason for the sounds in multiple threads on ATS... just my opinion because you have stated the same thing over and over in all these weird sound related threads i have seen

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

LOL....logs falling? I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh. Yes, there is still logging going on here in our beautiful state, but many many miles away from me and they certainly aren't cutting any down after dark.

Ummmm....to compare a tree falling to what I have been hearing is just kinda silly. Also, I don't care WHAT kind of jet we are talking about...these sounds are NOT a jet. Anyways...to stay on topic here:

In what I am seeing on the real-time graphs, it looks to me like these quakes may be originating closer to the Tetons. Take a look at these stations:

Teton stations

The ones in the 100 microns are just a mess....but even the 1000 micron stations are clearly showing what are obviously quakes...recording on all stations.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE

i dont think all these unusual sounds in all the different threads can be these new engines you talk about and also give as the reason for the sounds in multiple threads on ATS... just my opinion because you have stated the same thing over and over in all these weird sound related threads i have seen

OK you ever hear of Occam's Razor? The sounds are either jets, logging or blasting and moving rocks during construction in the mountains in this part of the world.

If you think for a minute that this is volcanic activity in the NW USA and part of Canada then you are absolutely 100% wrong like 2+2=5.

If this were the case then the whole workforce at reputable places like Microsoft and Boeing plus all the people in the cities and country around here would also hear it and it would be top news everywhere worldwide.

A few people on ATS are not going to be the ones that figure out if a volcanic system is awakening in the NW for god sakes. It would be experts and everyone would be hearing and feeling it, not just the few who cant seem to swallow a rational explanation.

If the volcanic system here were active it would be of grave concern and everyone would know.

edit spelling

[edit on 15-10-2009 by Wormwood Squirm]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

LOL....logs falling? I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh. Yes, there is still logging going on here in our beautiful state, but many many miles away from me and they certainly aren't cutting any down after dark.

Ummmm....to compare a tree falling to what I have been hearing is just kinda silly. Also, I don't care WHAT kind of jet we are talking about...these sounds are NOT a jet. Anyways...to stay on topic here:

In what I am seeing on the real-time graphs, it looks to me like these quakes may be originating closer to the Tetons. Take a look at these stations:

Teton stations

The ones in the 100 microns are just a mess....but even the 1000 micron stations are clearly showing what are obviously quakes...recording on all stations.

LOL I am not talking about a single tree cutting LMAO. At night here in Squamish BC I hear them picking up and dropping huge loads of trees at a single time onto trains etc.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wormwood Squirm

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE

OK you ever hear of Occam's Razor? The sounds are either jets, logging or blasting and moving rocks during construction in the mountains in this part of the world.

If you think for a minute that this is volcanic activity in the NW USA and part of Canada then you are absolutely 100% wrong like 2+2=5.

If this were the case then the whole workforce at reputable places like Microsoft and Boeing plus all the people in the cities and country around here would also here it and it would be top news everywhere worldwide.

A few people on ATS are not going to be the ones that figure out if a volcanic system is awaking in the NW fro god sakes. It would be experts and everyone would be hearing and feeling it, not just the few who cant seem to swallow a rational explanation.

wow take a zanax or something dude no sense in getting all emotional about it i know half the stuff i have heard is not so called jet engines so you believe your end ill believe mine

Lets get back on subject the subject is earthquakes not jet engines

[edit on 15-10-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Teton stations

I can say with a high degree of confidence (to quote the NIE
) that they are not originating from the Tetons, and are originating very close to Yellowstone Lake, or under the Lake itself, like last time. This is because I am actively monitoring every available broadband station right now in GEE, and they are strongest at H17A, which is right on the Lake. I am also monitoring FLWY (part of the Tetons), and they are nowhere near as strong there.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I am not an emotional soap opera druggy type. Keep your xanax I don't need it.
You need to get a grip on reality. The earth is not churning in the NW. Nor are they secretly drilling tunnels for aliens either.

End of story. Back to Yellowstone topic please.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join