It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama poised to announce Afghanistan troop surge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Obama poised to announce Afghanistan troop surge

www.heraldscotland.com

Signals emerged out of Washington last night that Barack Obama will soon announce a surge of up to 45,000 US troops for Afghanistan as hours earlier Gordon Brown told MPs Britain’s military commitment would increase by 500 to 9500.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This could be great news. If the commanders on the ground are able to do their jobs and not hindered by politics in Washington and the media in Atlanta.

The fight must be taken to the enemy. The idea of fortifying ourselves in urban areas will not finish the fight. We have to go after the Taliban, even if that means going into Pakistan.

If Afghanistan is allowed to fall, Pakistan's collapse won't be far behind. It will lay the foundation for a crapstorm of epic proportions involving India and massive terror attacks on the West. Thats why it is of the utmost importance that we finish this fight. I hope that Washington understands this.

www.heraldscotland.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
As far as I am concerned, the President is waiting far too long to do what he has promised to do since he has been elected -- to wage war in Afghanistan and to defeat the Taliban. However, I cannot help but feel that the President is being indecisive (playing politics?) and testing the polls perhaps? The quicker he begins his Iraqi style "troop surge" the better it will be for all concerned -- especially the Afghani people. Maybe this war can come to an end all that sooner and some semblance of normalcy can return to their traumatized lives.

Politics aside, as long as troops are committed to a battlefield, the government should support those troops with the will and commitment to win. If the commanders on the field say that we need a certain amount of men and material to "get the job" done then this is exactly what must be delivered.

If there is no will to win, if there is no commitment to win, then we have no business being in Afghanistan or, for that matter, in any military arena. It's as simple as that. Indecision costs the lives of "our" men and women" in arms. The lack of will to win, again costs our troops dearly through low marale which translates in lives. If we are going to fight a war....FIGHT IT, otherwise, pack up your kit, go home, put up a fence and wait.......

[edit on 10/15/2009 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Amen to everything you said.

IMO, there is no time to waste. I was under the impression he already had a game plan when he won the election.

Guess I was wrong.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

A rush to pass the stimulus

A rush to pass healthcare

A rush to bail out banks, insurance companies, auto industry

War. Meh, lemme think about it.

Did I get that right?

join