It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the difference between ghosts, spirits, ghouls, and entities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I want to ask you all a question. In your opinion what is the difference between ghosts, spirits, ghouls, and entities? Are they simply all synomyms? Are there any diffences that seperate them from the rest. Feel free to discuss your ideas on what each of these things are.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
I want to ask you all a question. In your opinion what is the difference between ghosts, spirits, ghouls, and entities? Are they simply all synomyms? Are there any diffences that seperate them from the rest. Feel free to discuss your ideas on what each of these things are.

Ghosts- Intelligent spirits that know they are dead

Spirits- The soul of a living thing still on earth. Not all spirits are ghosts, but all ghosts are spirits.

ghouls- Ghosts that are haunting you

entities- Beings that are on earth that fit anywhere in the paranormal, from ghosts to aliens.

Those are my views atleast.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
You leave out alot of the spirit world.
Are you only interested those examples?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I don't consider them all the same; Ghoul has the most specific definition:

ghoul
1. One who delights in the revolting, morbid, or loathsome.
2. A grave robber.
3. An evil spirit or demon in Muslim folklore believed to plunder graves and feed on corpses.

Entity is actually the antonym of ghost. Entity means it exists as a fact. You and me; corporate entities such as Nike and Microsoft exist as a fact. You can show someone that you exist anytime. Ghosts don't exist as a fact. They could be hallucinations or just mistaken identity.*** (I am not judging or saying ghosts do not exist, but a skeptical mind has to be open to those possibilities as well. I understand there are ghost pictures that are unexplained out there, but that doesn't prove they exist, it's just evidence that they might exist.)

As for ghosts/spirits, they're pretty similar in definition. A disembodied soul being the common theme there.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

You can discuss other things, those are just some of the most common ones. I just thought of another one, what about phantoms?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Personally I think they are all different words for the same thing.

Their specific meaning may be different in a literal sense, but the absence of hard facts or evidence leads me to suggest that these are terms used subjectively by people who have had experiences.

Kind of like that saying about the world's religions being fingers on a hand that is pointing to the moon. They all have elements of truth but are not truth in and of themselves.

Or that story about the blind men and the elephant. Each one felt a different piece of the elephant and concluded wildly different things about what they were touching. All of them were right and all of them were wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

If I'm correct, a phantom is a spirit that's not really part of a demention, that it just 'exists'.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I was always under the impression that a ghost was the "memory" of a person that necessarily isn't aware that they are still here- like someone who passed unexpectedly and doesn't realize that they are dead.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

A ghost is a being that refuses to leave and knows that he or she is dead. Their sometimes visible to the human eyes and sometimes not.

A spirit is a being that lives within a physical shell. It can leave the body or is forced out once the physical shell expires.

A ghoul is what knows is dead but still wants to cause mischief in the living world. It haunts you or scares you.

An entitie.... I have no idea.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tojfrd7931

Not really. Cause if the ghost doesn't realize that its dead it would soon because he or she will try to talk to the living. If the living doesn't respond then he or she should know that their dead. So I think a ghost is one that doesn't want to leave the living world because of lingering attachments.

top topics

join