It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA warns P&G for adding vitamin C to Nyquil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
So I guess this is the FDA's war on useful vitamins. I heard they were hating on Vitamin B-12 and now claim Vitamin C does not help prevent colds. I think I would rather trust the stuff that comes from oranges over anything the FDA says is okay. Is this the start of the codex vitamin war? Ban everything useful to a human being?

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 14-10-2009 by ancient_wisdom]

but the CDC and FDA are okay with mercury being in the swine flu vaccines. Ridiculous.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by ancient_wisdom]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I saw this too and about flipped. This is absolutely the first step of Codex.

Both B-12 and C have MAJOR health benefits. B-12 is even considered by some to be the cure for some forms of cancer. C is definitely an immune system booster.

This reeks of an attempt to turn people off to the natural things that will help fight viruses so that the vaccines are more widely accepted.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You also can say that vitamin D cures rickets. Or that Vitamin C cures scurvy. Or niacin cures pellagra.

I love that vitamins cannot LEGALLY "cure" diseases of vitamin deficiency.

All of modern medicine is founded on these disease/cures, but they aren't legal anymore.

Awesome. Really. Just astoundingly awesome.

THEN, they want you to TRUST them above all others. And are annoyed as all get out when you don't.

I have an idea. People don't trust organizations that are obviously lying. Don't do things that are obviously blantantly deception, and maybe people won't question you so much eh?

[edit on 2009/10/14 by Aeons]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Isn't this about NyQuil making medical claims that taking additional vitamin C (ascorbic acid) can help ameliorate a cold while the FDA doesn't feel there is evidence to support the claim? Ascorbic acid is added to many foods as an antioxidant but no health claims about preventing or treating a disease are made.

I'll keep my eyes pealed but this one doesn't strike me as some Codex move.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ancient_wisdom

Oh, man. When I get sick, or even slightly feel like I might get sick, I immediately suck up the Vitamin C. I'll take like ten 500mg tablets a day.

This kind of reminds me of when the FDA jumped on Cheerios when they claimed it helped lower your cholesterol.

Heaven forbid we wouldn't want people to get better. They're a much bigger pull on big pharma when they stay sick.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Maybe P&G are looking for a legal fight with the FDA.

That'd be a change of pace. P&G - defender of vitamins. Long ways from P&G, the company that was targetted by fundamentalist Christians for a Satanic Logo.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
* for EnlightenUp for being ballsy

[edit on 10/14/2009 by reticledc]

reply to post by EnlightenUp

I agree with that thought.
Most vitamins can be more harmful than helpful in larger doses, including vitamin C.

The point is that vitamins, while beneficial to overall health, may or may not be so specific.
Except in the afore mentioned specific cased of diseases stemming from a deficiency in those vitamins.

I have been a firm believer that we should be putting the best foods into our bodies, and allowing ourselves to fight off the infections naturally.
While vitamins may be beneficial to someone lacking them, I don't see the logic in adding extra to every single thing we consume, instead of teaching people to eat right in the first place.

If anyone has ever read the ingredients on NyQuil, you can see my point.
It's bad enough.(sarcasm)

Everyone could be jumping all over this as conspiracy, but I think the FDA is doing their freaking job for a change.

[edit on 10/14/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

I was wondering if you got white feces and constipation from taking 5000 mg a day of vitamin c?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
In fact there are a great many natural cures out there that the pharmas don't want advertised -- even if there IS clinical proof -- because they are not patentable.

I just found out about all the great stuff that you can do with coconut oil today. It has a natural anti-microbial that helps with preventing and curing diseases including yeast infections.

Cayenne is a natural blood sugar regulator that can be taken in a pinch when ones insulin goes bad or is missing. (wife is diabetic)

Countless other items out there. Most everything we take on a daily basis originates from a natural and balanced herbal or mineral blend. Companies just twist and tweak it till they can patent it and then lobby to get the natural form outlawed.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc

I was wondering if you got white feces and constipation from taking 5000 mg a day of vitamin c?

Any excess Vitamin C intake I ever did was self-regulating and a quick learn. It has kindly given me the complete polar opposite from constipation.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Never had a problem with it. Vit C is water soluble so you usually just pee the excess out - it has made my pee sort of yellow, though.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Any excess Vitamin C intake I ever did was self-regulating and a quick learn. It has kindly given me the complete polar opposite from constipation.

Yes, it does sort of have that dieuretic effect, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

This is a sign that you aren't producing enough bile.

Vitamin C should usually do the opposite effect - causing loose bowels not constipation.

I would suggest that something is off in your liver/gallbladder, or that you are having problems with the conversion of cholesterol to bile.

I think you may want to consider that you are regularly severely hypo-vitaminotic for vitamin c.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morbo the Annihilator
Yes, it does sort of have that dieuretic effect, doesn't it?

LOL. Well, without being too graphic, you could say it was rather diuretic and my body was confused about which was the bladder.

[edit on 10/14/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I heard a report from Hopkins I believe a long time ago, that got squashed, that they found Vit C had no affects on colds whatsoever. Not that it is not healthy for you, but just doesn't fight colds.

Also, Vit C is now being added to everything, and now people are running into dangers of overdosing.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Isn't this about NyQuil making medical claims that taking additional vitamin C (ascorbic acid) can help ameliorate a cold while the FDA doesn't feel there is evidence to support the claim? Ascorbic acid is added to many foods as an antioxidant but no health claims about preventing or treating a disease are made.

I'll keep my eyes pealed but this one doesn't strike me as some Codex move.

I'd say it's partially a marketing campaign that is praying on the very common misconception that Vitamin C cures something: There are countless studies showing that Vitamin C does NOTHING to cure a cold - sure, it's an essential vitamin that you need to stay health, but it is in no way a cure.

It has more to do with the interaction between vitamin C and common ingredients in cough syrups. Vitamin C can lower the amount of pain relieving drugs passed through urine, such as acetaminophen, which in turn leaves them in the bloodstream for longer and can cause more drastic side effects to those who are sensitive.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Vitamin C is an Immune system builder-it is not the cure for the cold-so they are right in that.

It simply strengthens your immune system so that you can better fight the cold.

Amazing how a little word play can make things sound entirely different.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I stand corrected.
It was hearsay anyway.

In all seriousness, too much is no good, and 5000 mg per day is waaaay too much.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

exactly, it's not about whether or not what FDA says is true, it's about looking at their actions. Why not just tell P and G to adjust their labels, and not simply ban V C from it? The nyquil label says it helps to fight off the cold, I'm sure it doesn't say it's the cure-all for the common cold, everyone knows there is no such thing. FDA is creating a straw man argument, claiming that people say Vitamin C cures cancer and so they need to rush it off the shelves (they also rush other things that DO cure cancer off the shelves). Bottom line is, FDA is pure corruption, it's not based on health it's based on money.

new topics

top topics

join