It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dilema about teleportation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hi all. I have been discussing a topic with my friends for a long time.
It is about the process of teleportation. I will try to explain but I don't know if
I can keep it clear or correct. So it is like this:
When you are teleported you are disassembled in atoms and assembled on the
other side, I know that every one knows this but when this happens your memory
is copied 100 %. And you can say that when you exit from the point B that
everything is fine. But some of my friends and I think that you die in the process
and another perfect copy is made, so you don't remember dying. Others say that
you don't die because your atoms are carried over a distance and reassembled.
It is obvious that the others cant notice any change because everything is the
same about you, and probably the teleported person won't know the answer as
well.
I think that some day if we prove that a soul exists than we can say either way
for sure. Because we will see if the same soul is transferred or destroyed.
I really like so see what are your thoughts on the subject.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If teleportation existed it would be easy to know. I speculate that you would not die, when death is looked at from a spiritual point of view.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If we truely are a spiritual being having a physical experience, then if you were able to essentially shed the molecules that form your body, then move as a purely spiritual being to wherever you wanted to go, then call molecules back to take the shape of your body (and hopefully your clothing as well), then yes, it may well be different molecules that make up the physical aspect of you, but your soul, essence and being was never destroyed, and is therefore the same.

Of course, how one goes about dissolving and recreating a physical body is somewhat beyond me!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This is actually a pretty interesting issue, since it asks about the basic nature of our identity. Are we identified with a certain molecular configuration, or something more? Every seven years or so ever atom in our body is replaced, but yet we still seem to be the same person.

Another issue is what exactly is a soul. In Star Trek, for example, the teleporters there made a back up copy of a person's memories and personality, so that if a transporter error occurred, they could simply try again. This would suggest that a mere brain scan would get at what a person's soul is. But is it? Don't know, but it's fun to think about.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheIrvy
If we truely are a spiritual being having a physical experience, then if you were able to essentially shed the molecules that form your body, then move as a purely spiritual being to wherever you wanted to go, then call molecules back to take the shape of your body (and hopefully your clothing as well), then yes, it may well be different molecules that make up the physical aspect of you, but your soul, essence and being was never destroyed, and is therefore the same.

Of course, how one goes about dissolving and recreating a physical body is somewhat beyond me!

i agree. i remember reading once that by the time you die, every cell in your body has been remade, in other words, you don't leave the earth the same person at least in a sense of atoms and cells. Does anyone else know what i'm talking about?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I understand you. But can you say the same thing about the brain.
Im not up to date on the studies done about the brain, the last time
I was reading they said that the brain doesn't regenerate. So it remains unchanged. And also some parts of the ears, at least in
humans.
And another thing if the soul exists then when you teleport a person
you also need to transfer the soul. the question then is is the soul bound
to the atoms or their smaller parts or not ?
So you are saying that if we succeed to teleport a person without enough
knowledge about the soul than he will die at point B.
I agree.
All of this is based on if the soul part exists.
I think that when we will be able to teleport complex organism such as humans we still wont have enough knowledge about the soul.
Because teleportation isnt seen as paranormal as the soul thus the
progress will be faster in that area. It requires faster computer to map
the position of the atoms and some kind of instant scan.
On the other hand about the soul I dont know from where to begin

I want to say that we dont have progressed in this direction as much.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
hmmm. . . .

imo your original atoms are broken down into sub atomic particles and disperse. What comes out the other side is an alchemic reproduction made from base materials.

as for the spirit and all that jazz i can't even begin to ponder the implications

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If you die during teleportation you wouldn't know it anyway because you're dead already while your facsimile carries your memories.

So all's good til' all humans are facsimiles.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The insider reports that I have seen have reported that teleportation is an on-going process through the "Corridors" that are used to move people and materials to our man-made bases on the Moon, Mars and off-planet ships.

The insiders say that there is a post-teleportational feeling like a jet lag and that they have to take some sort of drug to help them re-acclimate after being teleported.

Insiders also say that the teleportational technologies have been around for several decades, ever since the '70s. Two of them have testified that they have been to Mars and back; one of them has said that he went to Mars just for a one-hour-long meeting, then back to Earth.

Other than taking a single dose of a drug to help the re-acclimate back into the physical, they suffer no ill-effects of the teleportation. You must understand that, although the body is connected to the soul, the soul does not cease to exist when the body dies, or is teleported.

It has already been proven that the mind exists in the non-local field, so, when a body is teleported, the soul is not deconstructed like the body is and, when the body is reconstructed, the soul re-animates the body and the body carries on like nothing happened, except for a minor bit of "jet lag".

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
My understanding of the physics behind the teleportation process is as follows:

Dematerializing:

1. There would be a requirement for some kind of device that would be able to scan every single atom in your body in real time and record the quantum state of each of those atoms at a single point in time ... otherwise, the reproduction will NOT be an identical copy ... physically or mentally.

2. Obviously the information obtained from this scan would need to be stored somewhere but the data storage requirements would be astronomical ... easily in the peta/exa bytes range.

3. Once the scanning process is completed and the data safely stored, the individual scanned would have to have each and every atom in his/her body converted into some form of energy ... naturally this implies the death of the individual.
The matter / energy conversion would liberate an incredible amount of energy as per E=mc^2 and this massive energy release would have to be manipulated/contained/stored safely somehow.

The less savoury (but much simpler) alternative would be to simply kill the scanned individual and dispose of his/her body !

Rematerializing:

1. There are two obvious methods for recreating the transported individual:
(a) By transmitting sufficient energy from the dematerialization point to the rematerialization point or
(b) Using locally available energy.

2. The initially scanned data need to be transmitted to the receiving point to be used as the blueprint for recreation of the individual.
Again, here we're talking about transmitting an astronomical amount of info and would require some kind of technological capability for transmitting the total peta/exa bytes within a very short time period.

3. Assuming that the data has been successfully transmitted/received and that sufficient energy is available, then the reassembly point would have to have some kind of technology that could convert the energy into resultant matter (atoms) that now have the identical quantum states of the original matter (atoms) ... energy to matter conversion m=E/c^2.
Also, it would be imperative that the technology exists to recreate each of the trillions of atoms AT THE SAME TIME to prevent quantum state drift away from the original quantum states ... because if you create the atoms one by one, by the time the last atom has been created, all preceding atoms would have completely acquired different quantum states as these states would evolve and change over time period taken to recreate every single atom within the original individual.

Finally, an obvious side effect of teleportation based on the above:

If the quantum states of every atom within the individual can be scanned and stored, this implies the possibility, given sufficient energy, of recreating numerous copies of the original individual.
So if an individual is teleported but subsequently dies at some future time, then another identical individual (minus the additional memories acquired since re-materialization and death) could be recreated from the scanned and stored data ... a form of immortality ?

Also, what if after scanning/data transmission that say, 10 individuals are rematerialized AT THE SAME TIME, then which one can claim to be the original ? My thought is that they all were created from the same data stream at the same time, therefore ALL can claim originality. What about the legal standing of each of these copies ? What if the original was married ?

Additionally, what about the possibility of being scanned and stored but arranging to be rematerialized in say 1 years time, or 10 years time, or even 1000 years time ? A form of time travel into the future. Would you take up the option given the opportunity ?

[edit on 15/10/09 by tauristercus]

[edit on 15/10/09 by tauristercus]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

Historical-Mozart Im into the conspiracy theories but I highly doubt that
you can be teleported to the moon or other place in the 70's.
Because you require insane amount of computational power.
Not to mention the interference from the celestian bodies on the beam
which carries the information.
Back to the topic you can also use teleportation for medicinal porpoises.
So we have concluded if the "soul" exists and if they teleport it along
with the atoms or their smaller parts then you dont die, but if the "soul"
does not exist then you die at point B.

new topics

top topics

join