It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

85,000 Iraqis killed in almost 5 years of war

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

85,000 Iraqis killed in almost 5 years of war

news.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD – Iraq's government said at least 85,000 people were killed from 2004 to 2008, officially answering one of the biggest questions of the conflict — how many perished in the sectarian violence that nearly led to a civil war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So.. When does it exactly become genocide? When we kill 100,000 innocent people? Just think, if we never invaded Iraq, 85 THOUSAND people would still be alive and with their families. Even the "terrorists" cannot come close to a number so terrible.

The 85,694 represents about 0.3 percent of Iraq's estimated 29 million population. In a sign of how significant the numbers are, that would be akin to the United States losing about 900,000 people over a similar period.

My heart goes out to anyone who has been affected by this horrible occupation. It is destroying not only their country, but ours as well. We are hell bent on destruction and doing a damn good job at it, sadly.

Just think.. if someone invaded us on false pretense, killed eighty five thousand of our family members, would you not fight back? Would you think they are helping? No. I know I wouldn't.

This article should be a wake up call to anyone who thinks we are helping over there. We are slaughtering innocents and stealing oil.

That's not war, thats criminal.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/14/2009 by deadline527]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
George Bush could tell Americans that the wars are over oil and they still would deny it. You could show them pictures of dead children and they would call them fakes. There is no way of changing this peridigm.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

It's so sad that you are right

Only thing that could help.. honestly, is a better education

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am an American and I never denied any of that stuff. Nor did I defend the stupid strategic blunder that was the Iraq War part 2.

So why you gotta be making sweeping generalizations about Americans like that?

Oh because your media said so, it must be true!!!

For crying out loud, you sound like "just another American" to me!

If your going to wash your brain, at least wash it in truth rather than media propaganda and lies.

Right a better education would help, because if your actually going to make sweeping generalizations like that perhaps you would be surprised to find out you are technically wrong.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Nearly every American I talk to does not know the real reasons we are at war. Yes this is a sweeping generalization, but a true one.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Seems bizarrely low seeing that there are 1.5m estimated war widows? If that 85,000 were assumed to be men of marriageable ages then that's an average of 17.64 wives per man. I didn't think polygamy was commonplace

[edit on 14-10-2009 by chillpill]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
George Bush could tell Americans that the wars are over oil and they still would deny it. You could show them pictures of dead children and they would call them fakes. There is no way of changing this peridigm.

For the 1 millionth time - The US does not control Iraqi oil fields. The Chinese bought the biggest contract. So get it thru' your thick head because that argument is way past being constructive.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
A Lancet/John Hopkins study put the figure at nearly 1.5 million - and that was 2 years ago.

The methodology had been used in previous conflicts and had a variance of +/- 1.5%

The UN estimated 5 million displaced persons.

Meanwhile, the western government sponsored "Iraq Body Count" gave a figure which was far lower, but used for its figures only those deaths which had been reported in the press.

Iraq is a modern tragedy, and it's easy to see why both the US and UK are seen as something of a pariah on the global stage.

Frankly, I'm ashamed of my government - the excuses they used to take resources and the treatment they have meted out since.

We went to war with Germany over similar practices - is it now right just because our own countries are doing it?

john124
Chinese companies are proxies - do a little research.

[edit on 14/10/2009 by budski]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Iraq's government said at least 85,000 people were killed from 2004 to 2008, officially answering one of the biggest questions of the conflict — how many perished in the sectarian violence that nearly led to a civil war.

Now class, what is the definition of sectarian violence? Anybody?

any violent conflict between different sects of the same religion, especially between Catholic and Protestant Christians or between Shia and Sunni Muslims

Nevermind that this estimate is about people killed by sectarian violence. Lets just ignore that tiny little detail.

And now back to your regularly scheduled bashing of the US.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527

So.. When does it exactly become genocide?

After they finish blowing each other up over religious differences.

I haven't read anywhere in your post that you admit most of those killings have been Iraqi on Iraqi [Sunni/Shia] caused deaths. I'm sorry but when most people read the words [Bombings] You fail to mention they are at masques or markets etc some will assume it's American jets bombing people.

Has the US caused Iraqi civilian deaths? Yes. But when some calculate all the numbers which seems to be a giant shell game by all sides they always seem to be added up with the US holding the bag.

Early Divisions at Root of Sunni-Shia Conflict

2006 Article: Shia and Sunni Muslims in Iraq continue to clash violently, and their conflict appears to have no solution. Juan Cole, Professor of Middle East History at the University of Michigan, talks with Andrea Seabrook about the differences between the two Islamic sects and why the differences seem so intractable.

The religious differences that contribute to Iraq's sectarian violence have deep historical roots. We asked University of Michigan professor of Middle East history, Juan Cole, when the split took place between Sunni and Shia Muslims.

Mr. JUAN COLE (University of Michigan): Well, it's something that occurred over a long period of time in scholars' views, but the key moment was when the prophet Mohammed died. And the question was, who would succeed him?

I dont know you tell me here are some of the latest headlines.

Militia leader among eight killed in Iraq bombing

Baquba, Iraq - At least eight people were killed and seven injured when a bomb exploded in a market in the mostly Sunni town of Buhriz on Tuesday evening, medics and witnesses told the German Press Agency dpa. Laith Mashan, the leader of the local Sahwa, or "Awakening," government-allied militia and two of his associates were killed in the blast, police told Baghdad's Aswat al-Iraq news agency.

Iraq bombings target reconciliation meeting, killing 26

The midday bombings targeted the Anbar provincial council's headquarters during a meeting between representatives of the Shiite Muslim-led government and local members of the Awakening movement, a Sunni Muslim group that turned against the insurgency in 2006.

Two car bombs exploded in rapid succession in a parking lot outside the government offices where the meeting was being held, then a suicide attacker detonated a third bomb outside the city's hospital as those injured in the first explosions were arriving.

Triple bombing kills scores in Iraq's Anbar Province

At least 25 people were killed and dozens wounded in a triple bombing in the western Iraqi city of Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, on Sunday. The bombings occurred during a reconciliation meeting, sparking fears of a resurgence of violence in an area that was the epicenter of the insurgency until local tribal leaders allied with the US to drive out insurgents in late 2007.

8 Iraqis killed in bombing/New report on Iraqi deaths

Three successive bomb explosions killed at least eight people and injured 42 in the northern Iraqi city of Karbala today. Two bombs exploded in main streets of the Shiite holy city, another one in a market area.

Suicide Bombing Kills Six In Iraq's Diyala Province

At least six people were killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile northeastern Iraqi province of Diyala on Tuesday, according to police officials and local media reports.

The casualties occurred when a suicide bomber detonated his explosive-packed vest inside a cafe in the town of Buhriz, located south of the provincial capital of Baquba. Ten others were injured in the explosion.

Iraq: Bomb attack kills two soldiers, injures four

Three civilians were killed and six others were injured when a roadside bomb apparently targeting a police patrol exploded in the neighbourhood of al-Thawra, west of the city of Mosul, some 400 kilometres north of Baghdad.

In the nearby district of al-Islah al-Zaraai, a family of six, including three small children, were injured when a bomb exploded in their neighbour's house, police said.

A group of gunmen on Monday fatally shot an Iraqi construction contractor outside Ramadi, police said. They declined to say whether the killing was an underworld crime or politically motivated.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chillpill
Seems bizarrely low seeing that there are 1.5m estimated war widows? If that 85,000 were assumed to be men of marriageable ages then that's an average of 17.64 wives per man. I didn't think polygamy was commonplace

[edit on 14-10-2009 by chillpill]

That's what I thought, as well.

The anti-war people used to claim that the U.S. all by itself had killed anywhere from 500,000 to 1 million iraqis. Now it's supposedly 85,000, which is a lot of people, but also makes me wonder if even this number has been inflated.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Before the invasion of Europe to fight against the tyranny of Nazi Germany, the Allies spent 2 years planning the occupation and the reconstruction.

Before the invasion of Iraq, they spent zero time planning the occupation and the reconstruction.

Do you think that if our military planners had spent any time at all considering how to police the cities there would have been less sectarian violence?

I think that if it had been planned properly, it wouldn't be the mess it is today.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Do you think that if our military planners had spent any time at all considering how to police the cities there would have been less sectarian violence?

Oh I get it. So them blowing each other up over religion is our fault. Yeah, that makes total sense. We're completely responsible for two groups who kill each other over what flavor of religion they believe in.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

Oh I get it. So them blowing each other up over religion is our fault. Yeah, that makes total sense. We're completely responsible for two groups who kill each other over what flavor of religion they believe in.

Please

spare me the histrionic accusation of xenophobia.

I said

There's a big difference to what you are saying...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Where, pray tell, did you find anything evenly remotely similar to xenophobia in my post?

Seeing as how they've been killing each other for a very long time without us being present, I highly doubt our presence has made much of an impact as far as that is concerned. But please, feel free to keep blaming it all on the US. It seems to be the current "in" thing around here.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

A Lancet/John Hopkins study put the figure at nearly 1.5 million - and that was 2 years ago.

Here's a good source about that John Hopkins study:

www.abcnews.go.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Yes.

There's been a lot of those pieces in the establishment controlled media.

Who'd of thought...

I've been through all this before and have authored quite a few threads and argued quite a few cases.

Bottom line is who you want to believe.

The occupying forces and their media stooges?

Or someone else?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

It's made a huge impact.

What do you think happens when law and order falls apart, and the occupying army do nothing even resembling a police action, in order to keep a semblance of order.

What would have happened if UK had just left NI to get on with it?

Pretty much the same thing.

Truth is, if there had been plans made for the occupation and reconstruction it wouldn't be in the mess it is.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Bottom line is who you want to believe.

The occupying forces and their media stooges?

Or someone else?

Gotcha. Doesn't matter if the research has holes it in; if it's against the war, it has to be true, right? So much for "denying ignorance".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join