It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Eagle Scout Suspended From School for 20 Days for Keeping Pocketknife in Car

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It appears that someone is singling out an Eagle scout and US soldier for special treatment. The school personnel all look like jerks [likely deservedly so] and the public outcry should have them retreating soon. This reminds me of a Mark Twain quote:
"In the first place God made idiots; that was for practice; then he made school boards."

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
A pair of human hands is much deadlier than a 2-inch pocket survival knife locked away in a school parking lot.

What shall we do about hands then? Keep them in chains.. ? Hack them off.. ?

For the children people, I'm serious, don't laugh.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
WTH. WTH.WTH.WTH.WTH,
second line:
WTH.WTH.WTH.WTH.

Fire the principal for being such a douchebag.
If this kid's community doesn't jump all over this something is seriously wrong.

Ps - WTH!!

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
As a scout leader here in my small community, I am disgusted that this school would take a stance like this. If you want to hit him for the 5 days, fine. But I would also be looking at who has pepper-spray, mace, keys and/or nail files in their possession. I know a lot of my scout's parents and there are enough of us to make a lot of noise if some BS like this was pulled here. The people in that community have to know that they need to rally around this scout and not let this biased school board get away with this.

If anyone happens to know the phone number of the school or school board, please post it here. No mods, super mods, Gods or anyone else, I am not looking for the info for malicious means... Geezus... I would do the search myself if not for a noon meeting but if no one posts it (either because they fear the mods or they just can't find it), I will post it this afternoon.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Weapons aren't allowed on school grounds.

He had a weapon and got in trouble for it, for a soldier right out of basic he can't really follow orders that well.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Weapons aren't allowed on school grounds.

Definition of weapon?

Be pretty ironic if the same rubes who confiscated his scout pocket knife were clubbed with a tire iron from the same car. Maybe just slammed with a textbook or two? Chocked with some rope from the gymnasium?

For a zero tolerance school I'd bet you 10 bazillion dollars that school is full of weapons in every classroom and every students hands.

I call for the removal of every weapon from school grounds. Every last one.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Not my school, so my definition could be differant from theirs.

I don't care if you don't like it, rules are rules and he broke one.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I don't care if you don't like it, rules are rules and he broke one.

That's the point. Without a concrete definition of "weapon" this rule has everyone in the building being suspended. The building being closed down.

They've all broken it just by having keys in their pockets and laces in their shoes.

It's not like my kids will ever be subjected to a public school so they can ban brething for all I care. I'm just annoyed at the intellectual inconsistency and even more annoyed at the ease with which those presumably in charge dismiss their faults at the expense of the children they are allegedly attempting to "keep safe."

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

You have no point. You are throwing out random items and saying they could be used as a weapon. Instead of saying keys or a car jack is a weapon why don't you call the school and ask their definition.

Better yet, ask if they have a list of items that could be seen as a weapon.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A pocket knife is not considered a weapon under New York State penal code. The law shouldn't stop at the parking lot of a school...it should be fairly applied to ALL (adults & minors) at all times.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This is all the more reason why I taught my children how to wield a #2 pencil. It is legal everywhere [for now] and can be devastatingly effective.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Over here the weapon has to designed for crime/killing and with an ease of access (such as a quick-fold stilleto or something) for it to be considered a criminal act. A pocket knife such a multitool with is hardly such a weapon, especially if its locked away in a car.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
School policies have not changed. Even when I was in high school in the 80's this was the rule. No weapons of ANY KIND are allowed on school ground and that includes you car if you are parking on school property. The school was well in their right to do what they did. You guys are buying into the typical Fox news swing on stories. They are conveniently leaving that fact out. This is not a new policy and is pretty well common sense. Being a Boy Scout has nothing to do with the schools policies which are mandated by the Board of education.

If he had gone on a slashing spree cutting up other kids or teachers then the media would be swinging this the other way. "Why was this kid allowed to have a knife on school grounds to begin with..blah...blah...blah..." You can look at this any way you want. The fact still remains this kid was in the wrong.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The kids attitude was that since he was a scout that he was above the law. He is spoiled and his mommy always let him have his way. The rule is zero tolerance, maybe he has to go back to english and learn how to read.

He broke the rules. He needs to man up.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

And before the 80's we had rifle teams with ammunition and firearms stored on site and kept our guns in our trucks or lockers as hunting before school and after school was common.

This rule is ridiculous, these school(s) are ridiculous, society is freaking absurd and frankly any and all apologists for this draconian slave nonsense is actively participating in the problem.

It's like somewhere along the line people started enjoying that ruler across the knuckles or that paddle on the backside. They beg for it, thank their masters for the beating and wait eagerly for the next whooping.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I suppose Columbine was ridicules as well? Or Virginia Tech, There are many to list now. How many kids and teachers have to be gunned down for someone such as yourself to understand guns,knives, any weapon should not be allowed on school grounds. These people that committed these heinous crimes brought these weapons onto school grounds...what do you think would happen if they could keep these weapons in their lockers. This isnt the old west anymore.....we are suppose to be civilized now.

[edit on 10/15/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
The kids attitude was that since he was a scout that he was above the law. He is spoiled and his mommy always let him have his way. The rule is zero tolerance, maybe he has to go back to english and learn how to read.

He broke the rules. He needs to man up.

So why is the school still overrun with weapons if the position is "zero tolerance?"

And, you know, if he really is an upstanding Eagle Scout without a blemish on his record he is better than most of the trash in public schools.

A simple fact of life is that some people can be trusted and have the opportunity to lose said trust and other people cannot be truated and have the opportunity to earn said trust. Actions and behavior and presentation dictate which is which.

Both the scout and ghetto-fabulous Wayne may be remarkably trustworthy or equally corrupt but how they present themselves decides which has it to lose and which has it to earn.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

And how many massacres have to happen at "gun-free zones" before people like you realize some signage isnt going to stop a psycho?

EDIT TO ADD

These gun-free policies and zero tolerance positions trickled their way into schools long before Columbine. If there is a cause and effect here it isnt Columbine creating gun-free zones.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Sooo your answer is let the kiddies bring even more weapons to school and keep them in their lockers. What kind of rational thinking is this? Sounds more like the rantings of militia members. Allowing something such as what you have stated would cause death 10 fold.

I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you don't then maybe you would look at this from a different perspective then.

[edit on 10/15/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The reality is more complicated than that. Simply permitting any and all to bring firearms to school as society stands now would not solve anything.

Though if I were to hazard a guess based on statistics of violent offenders that overall assault and murder rates would remain the same.

What needs to happen is people have to get over this nonsensical fear and subsequent fictionalization of firearms that has been happening in the past 30 years or so.

A new wave of normalization has to occur to make up for all of the ignorance and fear mongering that has made them not tools of the homestead for game and recreation but sinister Hollywood power machines sought after by malcontents and little fatherless degenerates with petty ambitions of ho's and bill's.

Going after a student who by all accounts has done everything right to this point for having a tool in his car, a tool that everybody I know and have known has always had on their person or in their glove box or in their bag, is not the way to create a more responsible society.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join