It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic electricity discovered!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Researchers have discovered a magnetic equivalent to electricity: single magnetic charges that can behave and interact like electrical ones.
The work is the first to make use of the magnetic monopoles that exist in special crystals known as spin ice.
Writing in Nature journal, a team showed that monopoles gather to form a "magnetic current" like electricity.
The phenomenon, dubbed "magnetricity", could be used in magnetic storage or in computing.

Full story

This should lead to some exciting new technologies!
Keep an eye on this one for sure

wow, the implications are mind boggling

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14/10/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
also on bbc news,.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You mean old technology?

Maybe it is a new method of composing the technology, but it is a very old capability none the less.

The capability to generate energy from other energy forms has existed longer than our species has.

Also, the military has known about this for a very long time. It is just far too simplistic for them to have overlooked.

They may be dumb, but they are not That dumb.

Nice to hear they are finally admitting it to the public though! Only 500 more years of being milked dry before they let us actually use it

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Awesome! Yet another very cool (pun intended) new technology from the world of sub-atomic physics!

S+F

by the way muzzleflash, alternate means of energy may be an old idea but the technology and capability to manipulate Muons is not ~that~ old...

[edit on 14-10-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Cool, now we can have the flying cars we were promised.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Isn't this the same thing that Nikola Tesla did many many years ago ?? He was able to power a light bulb just by shoving a rod in the ground. The government carted away all his research after his death.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hopefully this will spark some new inventions/technology. I think it's inevitable, however how much we will be privy too is probably going to be limited. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Maybe this is Magnetron and his Might Warriors trying to trick us into thinking Magnets are still cool.

Well, they are.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
One person who comes to mind when I think of this subject:

Nikola Tesla

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is bogus, I totally came up with this in my other life, I remember when I came out with the original twitter around 100 B.C and Julius Caesar stole the rights, so I showed them how lead improved taste and how they could form it into some crude plumbing pipes to bring in drinking water, so who's the boss? Not Tony Danza I can tell you that much.

Seriously though, star and flag, you post some good stuff my man, I love reading topics like this.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
In the article:

"These crystals are made up of pyramids of charged atoms"

A possible energy source that takes the form of a pyramid? hmmm? No wonder everyone made pyramids back in antiquity. Very cool news Warrenb. Hopefully a step closer to free or cheaper energy. S&F.

RedPill

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluePillOrRedPill
In the article:

"These crystals are made up of pyramids of charged atoms"

A possible energy source that takes the form of a pyramid? hmmm? No wonder everyone made pyramids back in antiquity. Very cool news Warrenb. Hopefully a step closer to free or cheaper energy. S&F.

RedPill

Free energy will only come after the NWO reduce the population to 500,000,000.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeAndAware
Isn't this the same thing that Nikola Tesla did many many years ago ?? He was able to power a light bulb just by shoving a rod in the ground. The government carted away all his research after his death.

This is different from what Tesla did. Tesla did a lot of research on wireless transmission of power and some research involving harvesting energy from electric potentials generated by the earth's atmosphere. I am of course paraphrasing, I'm not an expert on Tesla's work. But his inventions were based on well known electromagnetic principles, like Maxwell's equations and stuff like that.

This is subatomic level stuff that is, as far as I can tell, still quite far from practical use. It employs magnetic monopoles, which as the time I went to college were believed to be impossible. So there is something promising about this, though it's hard (at least for me) to tell what could be done with it.

-rrr

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickyrrr

Originally posted by AwakeAndAware

This is different from what Tesla did. Tesla did a lot of research on wireless transmission of power and some research involving harvesting energy from electric potentials generated by the earth's atmosphere. I am of course paraphrasing, I'm not an expert on Tesla's work. But his inventions were based on well known electromagnetic principles, like Maxwell's equations and stuff like that.

This is subatomic level stuff that is, as far as I can tell, still quite far from practical use. It employs magnetic monopoles, which as the time I went to college were believed to be impossible. So there is something promising about this, though it's hard (at least for me) to tell what could be done with it.

-rrr

Tesla's work resulted in AC or Alternative Current as opposed to Edison's DC or Direct Current. All elecrical work none the less but not magnetic i dont think.

RedPill

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
As a theoretical physicist who worked with Julian Schwinger, a Nobel Prize winner and one of the three founders of quantum electrodynamics, I can assure you that this experimental research has NOT discovered the magnetic monopole first theorized by British physicist, Paul Dirac. Creating localised conditions inside crystals that behave as though they possess magnetic charge is not the same as generating magnetic monopole counterparts of the electron. Science journalists love to exaggerate......

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This technology is as old as Jesus, just look at this popsci article from Spring of 1980. The guy who worked this monopole generator has been suppress by the US gov. interest, hopeful those can engineers can find a way to synthesize the monopoles in other materials besides crystals. JP. MORGAN NEED NOT APPLY.

But it's great to see monopole existence out in the open.
www.newebmasters.com...

The of one many monopole generator inventors being suppressed. pesn.com...

Just to throw out numbers, some 1.5 Tons of Torque could come from monopole generators. The resistive forces of monopoles can go to at least 10 to 20 tons per square meter x 1/4" thickness.

I'll admit I'm not far along in physics to know what this means specifically at the moment. I'm wonder if these monopoles could be strong enough to bend light or become superconductive at room temp?

Here's a recent previous discovery on monopoles
www.physorg.com...
and this one with formulas is a much older discovery.

leedskalnin.net...

[edit on 14-10-2009 by Pillar]

[edit on 14-10-2009 by Pillar]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
What the hell?

I thought this was common knowledge. I've either dreamt it or read about it in a sci-fi book or something, but i've known about this for years.

Sometimes i dream about the free energy available using magnets and kinesis. Big machines that power themselves with huge magnets. No joke...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Wow thats really awesome stuff

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkmustache
This is bogus, I totally came up with this in my other life, I remember when I came out with the original twitter around 100 B.C and Julius Caesar stole the rights, so I showed them how lead improved taste and how they could form it into some crude plumbing pipes to bring in drinking water, so who's the boss? Not Tony Danza I can tell you that much.

Yeah, seriously. I remember back in the those days I was the inventor of viral plays, like 2 Girls, 1 Goblet. I get no recognition for the viral videos of today.

On subject, though, news like this kinda angers me. I mean, stuff like this had been discovered by Tesla years ago, yet no one in the MSM give him the respect he deserves these days. If there's one brilliant mind that's been walked all over and forgotten about by mainstream science, it's gotta be Tesla.

Besides, if those Area 51 stories of magnetic transport and magnetic power that are mentioned in the Dulce Files by Branton are true, then it turns out it's been around for a longer than 40 years.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Mind boggling indeed!

Monopoles could bring a whole new dimension to applied physics (pun intended.)

Great find!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join