It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apartment Residents Told to Take Down US Flags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I may not idolize the United States flag like some might. I may even cringe at overly-"patriotic" displays of the United States flag on occasion. I may even support the Supreme Court decision to allow burning of the United States flag as protected under the First Amendment. Still, even I know it is not only immoral, but a violation of Civil Liberties and Constitutional Rights to deny another the ability to fly Old Glory.

Apartment residents told to take down U.S. Flags

At the Oaks Apartments in Albany, the management can fly their own flag advertising one and two bedroom apartments - but residents have been told they can't fly any flags at all.

The ban includes even flag stickers on cars.

The mother of one soldier fighting in Iraq put up a poster in her son's apartment window when she learned of the ban. Her son's roommate said he'll risk eviction to make sure it stays.

The thing that makes this sting even worse is that they aren't preventing people from posting flags to their property, but threatening to evict those who put up posters, or have stickers or flags attached to their own private property such as motorcycles and cars!

Does that mean that if you have a tattoo of a United States flag on your own body that you would be evicted for violating your tenet rules of not displaying a U.S. flag?

This is wrong on so many levels, and what makes me even more irate about this is that it is happening in my State! My State might be pretty liberal in some respects (while simultaneously pretty conservative in other respects) but this is going too far.

Someone needs to put the smack-down on people that attempt to do such things as this. Sure, it is their property that they are leasing out to renters, and they can make rules that dictate what can or can't be done to their physical property, banning permanent fixtures such as flag poles. That is their right. However, it is not their right to declare what one can or can't openly display without physical harm to the Property Owner's physical property, such as hanging a flag, or a poster, or putting bumper stickers or flags on a tenet's own vehicle or body...especially when you are talking about the U.S. Flag in the United States!

Where is the ACLU when you need them?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Erm... I think this is already a thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord
Erm... I think this is already a thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

6 hours too late.
Odd that it didn't come up in the Search function. Thank you fleetlord.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This absolutely disgusts me. If they wanna fly the American flag to support our troops damnit they should me able to!!! I would face eviction rather than disgracing my country and all who have died for it.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
This absolutely disgusts me. If they wanna fly the American flag to support our troops damnit they should me able to!!! I would face eviction rather than disgracing my country and all who have died for it.

oh, but wait a minute...what about protecting private property. you can't come on my property and put up an american flag or anything else without my permission, unless you want to peer into the barrel of a shotgun. and that's close to what the property owner did...you know...4th amendment to the constitution applies here, but apparently not in your world. by the way, i fly my 3' by 5' old glory on the appropriate days to honor the soldiers and our country every year.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I think the moment I became sick and tired of the over-patriotism was not too long after 9/11/2001. I was on my way to my girlfriend's house (who lived in a small town) and driving into town I passed a store with a advertising sign in front of it that read....

God Bless America Tool Sale

That was enough for me.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Even long-time residents like Sharron White, who has flown a flag on her car for eight years, has been told to take it down.

White said management told her that "someone might get offended."

Offended!!?!!! This is happening in America right? Is this some kind of joke? Anyone that might be offended by the Stars and Stripes flying proudly in America really does not belong in this country. What a load a BS.

Political correctness run amok. How can someone be offended by the American flag flying in America??

-Sigh-....I need a drink.

[edit on 10/14/2009 by Erasurehead]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i think it would be ok to fly a US flag in teh US as long as you didn't display the flag incorrectly. Maybe they don't want to start a country flag war.

top topics

join