It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Church to burn 'Satan's Books' including works of Mother Teresa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Good old fashioned Christian Book Burnings have always gotten under my skin since the first time I watched the Nazis do such en masse in old WWII films in Middle School History Class.

Granted, burning books are better than burning heretics and witches, but repugnant nevertheless.

So, it bothered me when I read about a Christian Book Burning in North Carolina, but it wasn't until I read the article that I realized how out of the ordinary this Book Burning was...

NC church to burn Satan's books including works of Mother Theresa

"A Baptist Church near Asheville, N.C., is hosting a "Halloween book burning" to purge the area of "Satan's" works, which include all non-King James versions of the Bible, popular books by many religious authors and even country music.

Attendees will also set fire to "Satan's popular books" such as the work of "heretics" including the Pope, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham and Rick Warren.

The event also seeks to destroy "Satan's music" which includes every genre from country,rap and rock to "soft and easy" and "Southern Gospel" and" contemporary Christian."

So, let me get this straight. They are going to be burning Bibles, works by Christian Saints, the Pope, contemporary non-denominational Christians such as Billy Graham and Rick Warren, and even burn Christian Music?

Well, now that's a twist!

I realized that there were extremists of every religion out there, but I never thought that there would be an extremist group that was so far out there that they would commit acts of self-deprecation!

All Christians other than this particular Baptist church in North Carolina are of Satan? Really? Well, I personally considered Christianity to be "Satanic" if ever there was such a thing, but really even this is going pretty far. And Mother Teresa? Any respect I have for Christianity comes from the works of Mother Teresa (and St. Francis, St. Hildegard of Bingen, St. Teresa of Avila, and St. John of the Cross). To equate her, of all Christians, with anything even remotely un-Christian is even more ridiculous than calling the Dali Lama or Gandhi "War Mongers".

Still, despite burning Christian Books and Christian Music, I still find the act to be pretty repugnant nevertheless. Knowledge, Literature, and Art should never be sacrificed to the flames of ignorance.

However, of all the things they could be doing on All Hallows Eve, I suppose a Christian Book Burning of Christian Works is the lesser of evils.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It's funny, when I read comments about Londonistan and the Muslims swamping Europe and how it would never happen in America, reading stories like this makes me realise that it doesn't have to. America's got it already. I can't see much difference, other than scale, between this and what the Taliban have done regarding clamping down on cultural and philosophical material they don't agree with.

It's often commented that Islam and those that adhere to are a throwback to the Middle-ages. Ironically the fool pictured in the story is quite happy to see civilisation taken back to the first decade of the 1600s. Not much in it as far as I can see.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
U should do some more research on mother Theresa. I think you'll find that she's less saint like than u previously thought. Certainly, she doesn't compare to dalai lama or gandhi.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Holy sweet Jesus it's a miracle! Now if they can just include the KJV as well instead of saving it, they would make me the happiest man alive! WooWee, I do love a good Christian book burning barbecue.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Granted, burning books are better than burning heretics and witches, but repugnant nevertheless.

Indeed

Originally posted by fraterormus
I realized that there were extremists of every religion out there, but I never thought that there would be an extremist group that was so far out there that they would commit acts of self-deprecation!

Wow! I can just imagine these zealots frothing at the mouth while torching the NIV Bible.

As a Christian myself, I have to say, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but as long as they are burning their own stuff voluntarily and not commandeering their neighbours books for the bonfire!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My religion is better than yours and if you don't agree with me you are a satanic evil doer. All in all it becomes more clear that the religious authorities don't like it when something doesn't agree with their nihilistic vision. Whats left is the hypocrisy of any believer who dismisses evidence and peddling their religion to the rest of the world.
Dismissing all accounts of our own history and replacing them with elaborate myths and fairy tales.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by red_leader
U should do some more research on mother Theresa. I think you'll find that she's less saint like than u previously thought. Certainly, she doesn't compare to dalai lama or gandhi.

The negative criticisms of her life aren't of things she had done, but rather who she had meet. She forgave the vicious dictator that committed acts of Ethnic Cleansing in her home village. She espoused the Nicaraguan Contras who later committed acts of violence. She even gave blessings to Haitian dictators who at first gave to the poor, but later bled Haiti dry. Her past was marred by people who did not share the same spirit as she.

The only other criticisms I have ever seen was the fact that she did not speak out against the Catholic belief against the use of Birth Control, and that she was in reality a Closet-Agnostic.

It would seem that most people are more concerned with what Mother Teresa did not do, and with what other people that Mother Teresa once met did, rather than she herself did. It's actually the same kind of criticisms that are levied against Gandhi, even today, in his own country.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
"Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."

If god/God/the gods can forgive them, then that's good enough. The rest of us should just keep flamables and sharp objects away from these idiots.

Side note, I can still call people idiots, can't I? Wouldn't want to offend a true idiot by comparing them to this group.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This is amusing...
If you burn everything related to Satan, you'd quickly end up in a world full of ashes. Bibles, books by religious authors, and country music??
I must've missed something between "religious authors" and "country music". Most of the country music I've heard (which is very few songs) mentions Jesus/God/Christianity in a positive way... Same goes for Rock, soft and easy, southern gospel, and most rap.

If good sense does not keep the congregation from joining this bonfire, perhaps environmentalism will. Im sure that the EPA will frown upon the burning of books and musics (do CD's even burn?) as something that will pollute the atmosphere. Oh, thats right, the EPA is Satanic and the letters E, P, and A will be cut out of every book and burned seperately.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
It's funny, when I read comments about Londonistan and the Muslims swamping Europe and how it would never happen in America, reading stories like this makes me realise that it doesn't have to. America's got it already. I can't see much difference, other than scale, between this and what the Taliban have done regarding clamping down on cultural and philosophical material they don't agree with.

It's often commented that Islam and those that adhere to are a throwback to the Middle-ages. Ironically the fool pictured in the story is quite happy to see civilisation taken back to the first decade of the 1600s. Not much in it as far as I can see.

Absolutely agreed. They are just superficially different cultural representations of the same extremist zealotry. The ironic part is they are usually the ones pointing at one another crying foul the loudest when they are both different sides of the same coin.

I understand that some people might believe that ignorance is bliss and that reading and writing is an invention of the devil and a sin against their deity, but thankfully we have the Wall of Separation in our form of Government that prevents these kinds of zealots from making our entire Nation go back to the Middle Ages. They are free to practice their own form of extremism, so long as they harm none, and can even create intentional communities based on their yearnings for the Middle Ages, just like the Quakers and other Puritans have done. So long as they don't try to force our Government into promoting their backwards ideals and forcing everyone else to believe as they do, then I suppose it is their right.

Still, the hypocrisy is thick calling out Islamic extremism and intolerance of philosophical matters they don't agree with when Christian extremism is equally as rampant committing the same acts. I agree with you totally.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Mmmm no, I'm referring specifically to her treatment and policies towards patients in her care. I'll try to find a video.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

which include all non-King James versions of the Bible

Aha! The KJV has errors in it that they build entire church doctrines on. Can't have their precious source of power and money destroyed now, can they?

And the "music"? Go ahead and please destroy all the (c)rap CDs you can possibly find.

I hope they dont let a good fire go to waste without making some s'mores.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Funny you should bring this up. Here in Utah, there have been a rash of church (LDS) desicrations. Notes, like "change pagan" or "leave now" have been left.

Link
www.ksl.com...

I joked that it was the Baptists doing it.

Hmmmm, now I'm not too sure I was joking.

And as an aside, I was really upset when they called the LDS pagans.

That's what I call myself.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Yes, unfortunately we are already tightly and rigidly ruled by another religion over here.

And lately very few people have been making any distinction between terrorists and Muslims, as if thy are one in the same.

This church is wild though, I will give them that much, they definately shocked me by calling Mother Teresa and The Pope heretics.

I wonder what their core beliefs or values are? I haven't heard of anything specifically like this before.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I don't care if the book was written by Hitler, Stalin or Satan himself, the burning of books by any institution is an act of pure evil, far beyond any perceived evil contained within the books.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhetoric

Well if they were burning the original documents then that would be a good reason for outrage!

But as far as I can tell they are not, so they are clearly making a statement to prime the wheels of the great south religious propoganda machine.

$ is religion, religion is $.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Well burning country music I could see.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
They burned all Non-King James versions of the Bible? I hadn't realized it was King James who died so that those who believe in him might be saved. That's quite odd. Anywho, congratulations on finding such a small majority of folks who call themselves Christians. May the true message of the gospel not be tarnished by the hands of mankind.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I read the title and I knew immediatly that they would be burning the bible.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It would be deliciously ironic if their purchasing items to burn resulted in stores stocking those items more deeply.

Every demographic has their share of idiots.

Eric

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join