It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Will We Handle First Contact?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Valid points in your post such as disease etc and how we have handled it but there is a key factor missing from the assumption that we could remain a society if disclosure happened. That key factor is that we have NEVER had disclosure. Its all well saying, if a pandemic occurs we can handle it and so on, however, a pandemic is of Earth, a Tsunami is of Earth a Super Volcano is of Earth. People know about these things so its accepted as part of our society so society in this context can and will remain. Back to the point of disclosure...to announce life, intelligent life far superior to us and the fact that they are here and are either dangerous or kind WILL cause panic amongst the majority, why? Because it is NOT of Earth so it is completely unknown, the potential for a disaster outwith human and a collective conciousness goes out of the window and its this fear factor that will inevitably lead to mass hysteria and a pandemic of human destruction and fear. There will of course be a minority who will not fear this, and eventually (possibly the next generation) will come to terms with it and it will become part of Earth so to speak...time heals all but as for First Contact, i think it is something that needs to be done over a prolonged period of time and with extreme caution if the world as we know it is to tick over unsuspectingly.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Modern civilization would fall apart.

Riots, looting, religion would be done, markets would fail,etc.

I think 99.99 percent of humanity live their lives on a very narrow wire of what they believe, understand and comprehend. Once that you destroy that comfort dangerous things will happen.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

I seriously doubt that would happen in this day and age. Maybe 30-40 years ago, but not now. I mean, a lot of people (even people who dont study Ufology) already think that we are being visited by ET anyhow. It wouldnt even come as a shock to tons of people.

People are ready.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by -Blackout-]

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join