It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would anyone take us seriously?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I was wondering why no one has responded to the fact that in a thread dealing with one line, rude remarks that do nothing to further any discussion, PenandSword actually gave us that great example where he/she? discredits (or tries to) discredit this entire thread by insulting my grammar. This couldn't have been better timed! I have 4 pages of 95% great feedback, so it's safe to assume that the thread has at least SOME intelligent value, and then: BAM! I get a comment that doesn't even discuss the thread, just a person saying it has no worth because I am not an honor english student.
Pen, you could have at least types more than one sentence, and told me what all the mistakes were. I admit that I do not have good grammar, and I am constantly looking at other peoples sentences, learning the correct ways to do things, I have started trying to remember to start new paragraphs when an idea is complete, and I try to remember to capitalize my I's more. In both those cases, I have always known the correct way to do it, I just got into bad habits. But with a lot of grammar, I don't even know what the right way is. Maybe, since you are so good at it, you could help me out instead of just attempting to belittle me and make yourself feel smart.

On the other hand, thanks a bunch for providing an example for my thread of how NOT to respond to someone if you want to appear intelligent and mature.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I'm happy your brother and I made you smile. I have enjoyed this thread and hope I have made a friend of your brother.

He reminds me of my sweetheart that I dearly love. I have to sometimes tell him to not lecture me and mind my business.

I have a brother 5 years younger than me and we sure get into some righteous debates.

Thanks for responding in such a polite manner.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I still don't think I was lecturing you. ;D
The post was aimed at those who post the rude and thoughtless replies, and from what I have seen you never do that, you put much thought into what you say. But I'm glad we provided an example for everyone on here of how two disagreeing people can handle themselves respectfully and still let the other know they don't agree!
so thank you DD, it's been informative and I made a new friend!

p.s. did u see my reply on page 5? You made me smile too!

[edit on 15-10-2009 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well, well-done but I like my meat rare and nothing you have wrote here is rare. ATS paid it's dues and believe, I helped to ensure it, but that was then -- not now.
Nice lines, great you relieved your frustrations and chunked in a bit of old ATS history, but that was then and now is now.

Decoy

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Decoy

? I'm not sure what you are sayin though. I like to swear a lot when I'm around my friends. It's not about that however. My point is that if I didn't take a little bit of that away for other people's sake they would not consider me to have any credibility. Is that right? NO, but that's how it is. To be taken seriously (something we really should consider, since we are already "a bunch of paranoid schitzos" etc..) there is a certain decorum we should conform to.
Besides that, what's the value of writing a one line reply and calling someone dumb or whatever it may be? Does it make you feel smart? Make you feel validated? Even if you have no intention of helping someone come around to your side or point or line of thought, it just gives the impression that YOU are the ignorant one.
aghhhhh
why is this so hard to get? What has happened to formality? It's not like I'm an old-fashioned guy or anything....heck i'm not even 30!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Hey-yello

I am kinda of new around these parts. I enjoy the sight immensely. I consider it a privilege to be amongst so many very bright minds and diligent researchers. The combined degrees, knowledge, and experience a site like this represents is a remarkable achievement. I just recently earned my "right to post" status.... Yehhhh!!

Having said that, I still see all things Internet as always having fine print that reads "Buyer Beware When Dealing With Virtual People". Basically you never know what you are going to read or have to endure or tolerate.

I remember writing essays and one Proff. made comments on how the voice she was reading was too aggressive and critical in nature. I had just finished Critical Theory (I have always leaned that way anyway) where I was only too happy to be learning about the powers that be, media, mass conspicuous consumption, Post modernism, I ate it all up and swallowed the red pill; and as a result was mad at who and what I found out; and it showed in my writing.

From then on I would be permanently severed from the herd of sheeple who, for generations have aimlessly towed the line, never questioning anything that looks out of the ordinary or is counter intuitive and frankly gobbling up whatever they are served.

I see this site as like a trip to the Thrift Shop (no insult implied quite the opposite) you have to sift through a pile of stuff but can usually find something of superior quality, value and reputation for a bargain price. All the BS and rudeness in my opinion comes with the territory. However its a real treat when you meet great people and have great discussions that further the cause of waking people up

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't read the entire thread.

I don't think people's behaviour is the reason no one takes this place seriously. Repeat threads talking about the same subjects, people's penchant for turning anything (and I DO mean anything) into a conspiracy, and for all the talk of people being openminded or demanding that others be, pretty much anyone on here with any kind of belief at all will NOT listen to anyone else's opposing view. ...which is probably why you get the asperger type posting behaviour you see sometimes. ...People just get sick of hearing the same old nonsensical dribble about wacked out ideas so far out there they make Crispin Glover look like a formal debate student; mingled in with authentic, real life possible conspiracies.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't post a lot on here because I don't usually feel like I have anything of value to add. Usually everything I could add is something I learned on this site or a link from this site. And there are a lot of real good experts here and I sometimes wonder if they are able find the topics they can contribute to. But this is a real good topic and all of the replies are well done, even the ones that disagree. I think I've seen it before but it's probably good to remind ourselves every now and then.

I think a lot of times when I see personal attacks maybe it's not done on purpose but just out of.... sort of emotional relief, like a pressure valve. And they really do make a discussion difficult because it causes the other side to heat up. I usually try to ignore it and not to respond in kind, but I think sometimes that makes my responses seem unemotional and uncaring because if I were to vent my emotions I think everything would get really ugly.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Thanks for clarifying. Said like that it makes total sense brother. Your right in a way. It doesnt makes us shine at all. But like everything in life there is always one that will make it worst for all the others.

We all know the planet is not populated with only einsteins thats what makes diversity appenrently
To that I agree lol

Catch you later brother ...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join