It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flags banned at Albany apartment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

It is certainly a slippery slope. I would have to see the verbiage in the lease contract signed by the tenants. Fair Housing laws are tricky and they vary state to state. According to the article the ACLU does not think it is a problem. That is a surprise.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Wow. What a stifling environment that apartment complex must be.

There are so many rules on life as it is, how could anyone ever want to live somewhere where even such a relatively benign thing as a flying a flag is also being further regulated?

I shudder at the thought. I like diversity, I like colourful displays, I like seeing flags of immigrants, I like seeing houses and buildings that have been painted weird colours or with artwork.

A super pristine environment that offends no-one is an offense to my better sense.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This is actually not too uncommon. My father lives in a gated community with a House Owners Covenant were certain rules are to be followed, and if you, as an owner living in this community don't abide by the covenant's rules, you can face fines or be kicked out as well. Now granted, they don't have a problem with the flag because many owners there fly several different flags.

I guess what you have to take from this is, is that the tenant does not legally own the property, the landlord does, and if the landlord decides that he does not want to see the flag in his property, that is his right. What the tenants should have done though, is discuss their rights with the tenant before hand so they would know what they were allowed or not allowed to do.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
It is certainly a slippery slope. I would have to see the verbiage in the lease contract signed by the tenants. Fair Housing laws are tricky and they vary state to state. According to the article the ACLU does not think it is a problem. That is a surprise.

The ACLU wouldn't find this too interesting because it seems to conform with the general intent of the Fair Housing laws.

Provided they are uniform and include all flags, which they seem to be, Sports teams, national flags, etc, etc, then there is no Discrimination.

No surprise to me. This is a normal occurrence, but some like to encase themselves in righteous indignation over nothing abnormal because it involves a flag, religion, religious symbol, or some element of national pride.

Nuts to that crap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join