It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What lies beneath the Richat Structure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The Richat Structure, a prominent circular feature in the Sahara desert of Mauritania near Ouadane, has attracted attention since the earliest space missions because it forms a conspicuous bull's-eye in the otherwise rather featureless expanse of the desert. Described by some as looking like an outsized ammonite in the desert, the structure, which has a diameter of almost 50 kilometres (30 miles), has become a landmark for space shuttle crews. Initially interpreted as a meteorite impact structure because of its high degree of circularity, it is now thought to be a symmetrical uplift (circular anticline or dome) that has been laid bare by erosion. Paleozoic quartzites form the resistant beds outline the structure.

Could it have some sort of extraterrestrial origin? Does anyone have more information about this enigmatic structure?

[edit on 14-10-2009 by genma]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by genma

There are actually three craters that form a line across the desert. Check 'em out.
Follow the line of craters

Don't know if there is anything under it and the two other craters support the meteorite explanation for the Richat Structure.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by genma

Sure, there could be. But perhaps we should exhaust prosaic explanations first before seeking the extraordinary.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Nice pic doomsday mos and mf doom in the studio right now!

anyway, when it comes to stuff like this i always wonder why ppl dont use those radiation detectors and stuff like that to see if it has any sort of energy to it. maybe even electromagnetic fields. who knows it could always be a portal for spirits... im starting to think anything is possible.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Mud and it is mud from there on down. Im not sure what you are getting at, i know. That is where phill schnider got his finger bit off by an angry alien.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My geological knowledge is quite limited, but I've thought that it looks more like an eroded anticline than an impact crater. However, I wouldn't rule out the extraterrestrial hypothesis - in this case the meteor impact one

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Who knows? Perhaps Lavos dwells there. /Obscure reference

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by genma

Google (Osharian Atlaspolis) to read details on Richat subject.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
From the end of the wikipedia article - basically they still dont know what caused it or created it.

In these kind of things, it is fine to say what it is made of, and that is relevent to scientific study, but we would all probably like to know how these things are formed.

After being pushed up from deep within the Earth, is it likely that one or two 'finger' cores of alternating hard/soft rocks will be pushed up to form a bulleye and that when weathered out, will form a structure looking like this? Maybe, and it is possible, but seems unlikely to me.

A more recent multianalytical study on the Richat megabreccias concluded that carbonates within the silica-rich megabreccias were created by low-temperature hydrothermal waters, and that the structure requires special protection and further investigation of its origin

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Its nothing that cannot be explained geologically. Ring structures can be formed and often do.

Whats really smashing about this structure is that we can see lots of it outcropping. Rather than say half or 3/4 being hidden under rather annoying loads of overlying rocks.

What I would not give for a chance to do a study on the area.

I often wonder what amazing geological structures lay hidden under volcanic ejecta and sediment influx.
edit on 15-8-2013 by rocksandstuff because: Info and ze gramma!

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by genma
Who knows? Perhaps Lavos dwells there. /Obscure reference

Well given 1999 was 13 years ago I dont think this place would be it
... that being said ive got a guru to visit **picks up his piece of rainbow shell and boards the Epoch**

Never knew this place in the world existed, neat.
edit on 15-8-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
If that is a meteor crater, and it most likely is, it looks big enough to have caused an extinction.

Then again it may be a remnant of a lost civilization, who knows. Most evidence of a lost civilization would be wiped out, but there is enough left behind to convince me. Not saying this is evidence, but I can't rule it out either.

new topics

top topics

join