It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superstitious?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hello all, hope you're all well.

I just placed a pair of shoes on my table and it took me back to when I was a kid when my Mum would say ''Don't leave your shoes on the table, it's unlucky''

I remember always thinking ''Do they have some kind of voodoo magic performed on the table/shoes at the end of the production line in the factories or something?''

It just never made sense to me that breaking mirrors, opening an umbrella in the house and walking under ladders can actually give you bad luck. Is anyone here deeply superstitious and does it affect your life for the worst or maybe you always have great luck as you stick the the rules of superstition? Might you only believe in superstition because you were brought up to believe in it or did you start to believe in it later in life for a particular reason? Has doing something superstitious changed the outcome of something you know would have turned out otherwise had you not followed the supserstitious ritual?

Personally, if I'm walking towards a ladder in the street I purposely walk under it just to spite superstition, yep, I know one day I might get a nice fat paint tin falling on my head and that would be indeed be unlucky but still....I find myself drawn to do it.

I do respect people's choice to believe in superstition and I have close family members who do but is it healthy and do you feel trapped by it?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Some of these superstitions were just ways of manipulating people. For example, the mirror one was to make sure servants were careful when cleaning or moving the mirrors, because at one time they were very expensive.

Some is simple common sense. People working on ladders often drop things. Their paint drips. They fall off. It's no big deal to go around the ladder, and that could save your clothes or your head.

But I think most superstitions exist to give people a feeling of having some control in a frightening, bewildering, and often dangerous world. We in the US and Europe mostly don't face such dangers, but not long ago live was precarious and filled with disasters. Diseases, famines, wars, all sorts of upheavals could kill you or change your life in an instant. Superstitions offered a bit of apparent control.

So people had endless rules to follow, rituals to observe. If the spill salt, they would bribe the devil not to afflict them by tossing a bit over their left shoulder (salt used to be very expensive, too). Make sure you do this, or don't do that, to prevent bad luck.

And then, when you had bad luck anyway, there was always something you probably got wrong, that you could blame. My cow got sick because I forgot to spit three times when someone said it was a good cow. Your cow is still sick, but at least you're comforted by the thought that you *could* have avoided it, had you been more careful.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Some superstitions are with out cause for concern to the non-believer, but those who are superstitious kind of create their own bad luck in a way, because thoughts can manifest themselves believe it or not..... It all depends upon your belief structure and pattern of thinking IMO

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Great question. S/F

chiron613, awesome info as a lot of that I have never heard before. Helps to understand where some of the superstitions come from.

I have a few superstitions but they aren't handed down or learned from anyone in the family. I never heard about the shoes on the table though....

I don't open an umbrella in any building (not sure what the consequences are but I just don't do it). Ladders don't bother me but I don't walk under them either. My feeling is, I don't want to thumb my nose at something as karma is a b#tch.

For me, I watch my karma and try not to break a lot of superstitions. I don't know how they work or if they even matter but until I know for sure, I will respect them. I won't develop an OCD over it but I at least know they are there.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

i was going to say that is is mostly jsut the way we are brought up, but you have taught me a lot that i never considered. I gave you a star Chiron for the nice info!
personally, i do these things on purpose because i feel that the moment i give them any "validity" is the moment thaat they will become true,and not just a superstition anymore. so that in and of itself is a superstition of a superstition.

blows my mind maaaaaan.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613Some is simple common sense. People working on ladders often drop things. Their paint drips. They fall off. It's no big deal to go around the ladder, and that could save your clothes or your head.

That's what I think but alternatively I've also read that early Christians believed that you should never walk under a ladder simply because the ladder against a wall forms a triangle and walking through a triangle was considered violation of the Holy Trinity, if you walked through it you were considered a devil worshipper.

new topics

top topics

join