It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Times Have Changed - What Values will our Kids Miss Out On?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I agree with everyones comments about kids losing respect and manners at 18 i see the chance, kids these days at age 10 round my area of breaking windows and swearing at people ect.
Now when i was 10. only 8 years ago i was in fields playing football, hiding in woods, rolling in mud and just running around having fun.

they need to learn to enjoy life abit more, i believe they cant because of all today rules.

however i am also going to defend them abit more by stating i see adults acting the same who have no respect and manners.

Everyone can blame each other but when it comes down to it, the person makes his/her own choice.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The only thing I can say to this is to teach your children differently, it starts in the home. My children have had the unfortunate or maybe fortunate pleasure of seeing us time and time again working hard and lose everything and pick it all up again, they have had the fortune to be taught that there's more to life than materialism, because many times we have had to do without, they have been taught to respect nature and their elders and to be respectful of even their peers to the extent they will not pick on those with disabilities or those considered "Not popular" etc. They have been fishing and taken to nature and been encouraged to learn about the world around them.Their questions were never meant with words of dismissal and if I didn't know the answers I would look them up myself and this encouraged them to investigate the answers for themselves as well. In the end they will get futher in life than the majority of the population of today's youth, and they will have compassion for those who were not taught how to live well. It only takes one voice, yours...the rest of the world will follow in time, your friends will start using you as an example in turn, another of their friend's will as well, and so on and so on.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
What's missing in kids today? In a word "patience". If it can't be done, had, whatever NOW it's not worth it.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i agree with every comment here. Manners are sadly lost in the majority of kids these days. And yes, it has to boil down to the parents. Lots of parents actually think its funny when their kids act up, instead of giving them punishments.

Half the stuff you hear very young kids saying and doing these days, man my Dad would have belted me for half of it!!

I think even good parents these days have a continual battle on their hands to bring their kids up in a good way,teaching them a decent way to be.

They constantly lose that control when their kids are at school etc.

Its certainly a battle im willing to fight and win though.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by willow1d
But this is no longer true. The US as a whole has generated a hatred for the rich and a disgust for the poor.

A hatred for the rich and a disgust for the poor? Sounds like everyone hates everyone! Perhaps I agree with this.

If someone is making $2 million, they more than likely worked hard for it or had a good idea and did a good job marketing it.

Often this is true, but what about inhereted wealth, raw luck, etc? The primary Walton family (of Wal-Mart fame) alone has a personal wealth greater than THE BOTTOM 100 MILLION AMERICANS COMBINED! Thats ONE THIRD OF AMERICA worth less than a single family! These are not the people who created Wal-Mart, by the way...these are the second and third generation. What did these people do, exactly, to make them worth more than 100 million other Americans?

[edit on 10/14/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Times have changed and the next generation will miss out on things that we got to learn and experience, but it doesn't always have to be a bad thing. Think 20 years ago you would have a lot more predjudice values floating around than you have today.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Among the many posts in reply to this thread is the recurring theme of "loss of respect". In my own youth, respect and deference to elders and authority figures was demanded and failure to do so was usually punishable.

I think that we have to give a break to the young people who have channeled this "lack of respect" into the admirable act of standing up against the evil trends perpetrated on humanity by -- guess who? -- their elders and authority figures!

I'm uplifted and encouraged by the moral fortitude exhibited by those teens and young adults who don't buy into the lies of politicians, who will protest the erosion of our freedom and human rights at the risk of their physical safety, who whistle blow on the teachers, clergy, coaches, and other authority figures who abused them. This list can go on...

For every young person who is disrespectful in the basest sense of the word, there seems to be one who knows that disrespect is a path to a better world.

In an ideal world I would love nothing more than for children to be able to universally respect and follow the lead of their elders with the confidence that it is deserved.

Rather than teaching blind respect, I think we should be teaching our young to civilly follow their hearts and stand up for what they think is right -- even if it means calling out their elders from time to time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join