It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can one really and honestly express oneself?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.-Bruce Lee. What do you guys think?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
What is yourself ?
You don't act the same way with your friends, your lover, your parents or your teachers.
So, when are you yourself ? Every time you put a different mask according to who you are with. This is not hypocrisy, just the necessary social adaptation that allows us to live together without too many problems.
But still, when you look at all the masks together, you may find some unity. Not an unity of facts, but an unity of will. Through all these masks, you can see what you want to be. To me, this is yourself : not who you are right now, but who you want to be.
Now, there may be a problem with that too. This is where I agree with your quote. You either want to be what suits you, or what the society believes it will suit you - these are successful personnalities. Not all of us want money, fame and women. But we are cheated into believing we want to, so that we may be proud of it. Being yourself is trying to get what you REALLY want.
I also think that is why people hate so much being alone and idle. Because when you're alone, you don't have to wear any mask. And as you're idle, all you do is watching yourself. And you realise that you're not who you want to be, but what you have to be. And you don't like yourself.

Live your dreams, don't dream your life.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
it means to not immitate somebody else. succeed without copying someone.

-thinks of albert einstein-

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
nice quote. I agree. you should always be yourself.

I must admit ive always had problems being myself because being a Scottish aquarius I can be very open, honest and even extrovert so i have realised how easy it is to offend people easily.

saying that, i wouldnt want to be any other way. This is who i am and who i will always be!

If people cant take you for who you really are then they have much to learn and will be back again in their next life until they realise we are all exquisite in our own ways and deserve utmost respect for it.

top topics

join