It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contradictory Possibilities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have an opinion I'd like to get some feedback on. I was replying to another thread when I decided I might make a new thread on the specific topic of contradictory possibilities.

I find myself contemplating possibilities often. Not just any possibilities, but contradictory possibilities. These scenarios often deal with beliefs, or things that cannot be accurately proven, or beliefs that are being supported with what can be called coincidental proof.

I may use widely debated topics as examples in this post, so you may feel like you've debated this topic before, but I don't want this to turn into a debate of the proposed examples I use so I ask that you pull from your own experiences. I have posed a question below in bold to hopefully assist in that matter.

Examples:

A spiritualist will tell you that the world is actually the diversion from the spirit, while some say spirituality is a diversion from the world.

A believer in extra-terrestrials may tell you that the numerous similar abduction accounts are proof, while a non-believer may tell you these are coping mechanisms hard-wired biologically and the only reason they are all similar is because the mind drew from other's accounts to further convince itself.

Each side of these scenarios is entirely possible. This must be accepted.

Sorry if my examples are lacking, but as I went further into detail I kept asking myself contradictory questions and writing them here... I was getting absolutely nowhere so I decided to keep it simple. Also I was supposed to leave work an hour ago so I need to wrap this up!! I can go into this further if anyone requires.

So, do you completely accept exactly what you belief or do you consider that there is an opposite possibility which may automatically void your belief? Would you be willing to accept that what you take as proof of your beliefs may have been percieved wrongly? How do you deal with contradictory possiblities and the way they may impact the way you think?

My opinion...

The problem is not what is or isn't, but that both scenarios are possible and it's impossible to decide between two contradictions that are both equally possible.

Live and let live is the key to these scenarios.

The only thing that truly matters in life is not why you're here, but what you leave behind for future generations. Because once you die, nothing you have or thought matters. All the inconsequential opinions and debates make no difference once you're gone. The only thing that will matter is what you did or left behind that will impact those who come after you.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Interesting concept. I think the singer, Jewel, summed it up: In the end, only kindness matters.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Life is a paradox..

so it's normal our words can not contain it,
without the patience to hear it.

That's why both logic and religion
are not understand as bringing a same message.

A paradox can be symbolised simple by the number 8,
you have different sides but from a total truth...

how do you explain that, AND fulfill it, the paradox,
when everyone is searching absolutes
where they have to search relatives,
and relatives where they have to search absolutes.

Truth is one, there is only one absolute truth,
where it is one, it contains all beliefs,
and is free. That is God, Life that hurted himself
for reasons. The paradox. And on that level it
fullfills the important chapters of the holy books,
and of logic.

But it only speaks love. When life is part of the
absolute truth there is no untruth, still there
are. Our lives had a reason to fullfill.

contradictions, they hide Life and Truth.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the way around this whole debate is very simple: Look to the movie Dogma. Rufus and Bethany are talking, and Rufus says this

"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant. "

the point, beliefs are made to not be changed

awesome thing to think about though. i usually take the route that if a scientific fact for example was found out to not be true. that'd be more troubling to me.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Funny... I don't think I have many "beliefs", if any. I have a certain sense of ethics or morality or something; I "believe" certain things are good or bad for me to do. But as for what is true out there, I basically don't know. That's why I use the sig I do. I just don't know much of anything.

Oh, I used to know a whole lot. But once I started to learn, I got over that.

I agree that kindness is one of the most important things in life.

top topics

join