It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Landslide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Credit to MysterE for posting this story in General Conspiracy Discussion » What's shaking the skies of the North West?.

Massive landslide baffles state officials

A massive landslide has completely destroyed more than a mile of Highway 410 in Yakima County.

The slide slammed into the river, and the riverbed itself was uplifted dozens of feet.

edit: article indicates that the Landslide happened on Sunday, Oct 11

My question is to all of you earthquake watchers. Can any of you corroborate this landslide with an earthquake in that area? Or seismograph readings of this occurring?

And if so, is the 'signal' the same or different from a 'normal' earthquake.

[edit on 10/13/2009 by toepick]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
www.ess.washington.edu...

There's been nothing of any consequence in the last 3 or 4 days.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
there has been a couple of minor tremors in the region but nothing out of the ordinary.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah, there was SOME activity tho..I'm not saying there was a major EQ, or that an EQ caused this. In fact, an EQ didn't cause this according to reports.

But what I am wondering is IF the seismographs picked up anything at all.

Because what witnesses describe as 'hearing' before the slide, is similar to what a lot of people are hearing in the original discussion where that author had this story listed with others.

This was a massive land slide, look at the pictures if you haven't (sorry, I wasn't savvy enough to link them into the post directly).

So maybe what might be considered noise, or insignificant is actually picking up activity similar to this and being over looked.

The 'experts' didn't see this landslide coming so why should they see anything else coming. And if they did know anything, they certainty aren't going to share it with us!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Has there been much rain recently?
What is the subsurface geology of the area?
What is the surface geology of the area?
Landslides/slope failures aren't always induced by earthquakes.

Don't be so down on the experts....damn laypeople thinking they know if someone is wrong because of something they've read on the internets

[edit on 13-10-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Damn people that don't read threads before they troll..

Me:

I'm not saying there was a major EQ, or that an EQ caused this. In fact, an EQ didn't cause this according to reports.

Oh look, me again:

But what I am wondering is IF the seismographs picked up anything at all.

Goodness..if you think a landslide (even of this size) is too small to be picked up by seismographs, than just freak'n say so..don't look like an idiot by obviously not even reading the thread before you smack down on some 'layperson'

I don't care what caused the landslide, I just want to know if it was picked up on any seismographs...do I really have to say it any other way?? Is it really that hard of a task?

My apologies I'm just a simple minded layperson who thought some experts here could have helped out, but apparently reading skills isn't a requirement for a non-layperson?

edit spelling because i was
sorry

[edit on 10/13/2009 by toepick]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
There have apparently been strange rumblings in the area which cannot be accounted for by normal seismographic data.

Here is the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by toepickcrazy rant because the meds failed to come through.

It wasn't a troll.
I did read the post.
My post still stands...if you can't handle the jandal take a chill pill.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

So far I'm a damn layperson, I'm crazy and I'm on meds according to you.

The only thing I have said is 'experts'.

Your post can stand anywhere it wants to, it really doesn't address anything in my OP or my followup to your 'damn layperson' response

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Take a look at this toepick daveslandslideblog.blogspot.com...
It may have some answers for you, seems like lanslides are quite common there.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This is a pretty significant landslide and it's still reported to be moving! Not only has it covered the highway, it has blocked and redirected the Naches River.

"What caused the slide isn’t known. There’s been no discernible rainfall in the area.

"Calling it a “rotational landslide,” Washington State Patrol Sgt. Tom Foster said the blockage appears to be a result of earth shifting under the surface of the hillside — and not a classic landslide.
Source: www.yakima-herald.com...

There were no earthquakes.
See here: earthquake.usgs.gov...

Photos and videos here:
www.komonews.com...

More video here:
www.kirotv.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Thank you Julie, this doesn't appear to be a typical landslide. There is some mining in the area and some believe it could be a contributing factor, but it is also something they were watching and were not too concerned about.

This is what caught my interest:

Witnesses at the landslide when it happened heard what sounded like a boom-box from a car (loud noises).

So what I am searching for is any similarities in what they heard prior to a landslide and what people are hearing up and down the west coast.

There might not be any significant seismographic event (with the landslide), but there should be some and whether it has any specific signature to it, that might be overlooked as error or wind or something else.

Maybe the noises people are hearing on the West coast is some significant 'landslide' or other movement, but its occurring under ground, or in a way that is not producing a large earthquake.

So, you can have a large geological 'event' that does not produce a large earthquake, but it might leave some kind of recognizable seismographic signature.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by toepick

I believe the other thread about the rumblings are sounds coming from above. I searched and reviewed several youtubes on strange noises and rumblings and they seem to be coming from above.

It would be great to find some youtubes of people capturing sounds that appear to be coming from the ground.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I said earlier:

The 'experts' didn't see this landslide coming so why should they see anything else coming. And if they did know anything, they certainty aren't going to share it with us!

I should work on my sarcasm, my apologies to any one this may have offended. I have the utmost respect for the experts, especially on these forums and in Fragile Earth specifically. After all, that's why I am here, to consult the experts! So shame on me!

new topics

top topics

join