It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bans 'do not cut abortion rate'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Bans 'do not cut abortion rate'

news.bbc.co.uk

Restricting the availability of legal abortion does not appear to reduce the number of women trying to end unwanted pregnancies, a major report suggests.

It did note that improved access to contraception had cut the overall abortion rate over the last decade.

But unsafe abortions, primarily illegal, have remained almost static.

Every year, an estimated 70,000 women die as a result of unsafe abortion - leaving nearly a quarter of a million children without a mother - and 5m develop co
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am anti-abortion, just to get that out of the way
But I do realize that abortion is an untamable animal
whether it's illegal or not it won't really change much

and that's CRAZYYYYYYYYY and so surreal

Many of us have sisters or mothers, i'm sure less than 5% of us can imagine any one of them doing a backroom abortion, but if the findings are true then...... what do we know?

why would any respectable woman agree or decide for a backroom abortion?
Is it perhaps mainly the father who imposes the decision on the mother?

Honestly, I would like to see stats on abortion vs. pre-marital sex rates.
Yes, I am extremely conservative, but no that's not a bad thing i'm sorry.

What lacks so badly in our society is morals and responsibility and education.

These 3 things are what will save this planet, not legalized murder!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Why should an abortion ban be any different from a gun ban, drug ban, whickey ban or any ban?

Unless the goal is to grow government, blow millions of dollars, arrest and or kill a whole bunch of everyday people, etc... bans don't work.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That is very much the truth, Abortion is as old as human life in earth, banning will only add to the mortality rates of women in the nations that ban abortion as blotched and under ground abortion will still are performed.

Where is a will is always a way, as history tells.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Why should an abortion ban be any different from a gun ban, drug ban, whickey ban or any ban?

Because these are women
and Women are better than us.......when they aren't complaining

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Why would any respectable woman agree or decide for a backroom abortion?

Because that's how much she doesn't want to have a baby. Having a child takes a woman's life away from her. For at least the next 18 years, she will devote her life to another person. Many women just DO NOT want that and will be willing to do what it takes to stop it from happening.

Thanks for posting this. I always suspected it, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Because that's how much she doesn't want to have a baby. Having a child takes a woman's life away from her.

Many women just DO NOT want that and will be willing to do what it takes to stop it from happening.

How about some women just so much don't want a baby that they use contraceptives?????????????????????????????????

What kind of logic is this?

How about some people just so much don't want to live anymore.
Suicide isn't legal now is it?

Where's the responsibility, if they so much didn't want a baby then why didn't they use contraceptives?

I do apologize but that makes your argument void to the fullest.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
You asked a question. I answered it. Sorry you don't like my answer. I didn't say it was right or that I agree with it. I just answered you.

I do apologize but that makes your argument void to the fullest.

As I said, this isn't an "argument". It's simply an answer to your question. And it's the truth, whether you like it or agree with it or not.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Why would any respectable woman agree or decide for a backroom abortion?

Because that's how much she doesn't want to have a baby. Having a child takes a woman's life away from her. For at least the next 18 years, she will devote her life to another person. Many women just DO NOT want that and will be willing to do what it takes to stop it from happening.

Thanks for posting this. I always suspected it, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Very good point but... let's also not forget to reflect on the myriad of ways a woman may have gotten pregnant against her will... Example: choose any of the ongoing civil wars in any of the African nations and imagine what those wars are doing to the women and children there (actually, you don't have to imagine, there are many sources that will spell it out in great detail.) I'm sure one can come up with plenty of circumstances in which a woman would choose abortion, backroom or not...

[edit on 13-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I do apologize for being maybe a tad bit aggressive in my response
my bad

but, I don't think that's the answer

they that much don't want abortion?

that's like saying a person so much didn't want to get wet but jumped into an ocean without scuba gear.

since there's no logic in the answer, for me it can't be an answer.
Maybe it's a facade of an answer but not the real answer

do you see what i'm saying?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Or how about a woman who chooses to Feed/Educate/Clothe the children she already has - - giving them the best opportunity she can in life - - as they are already viable human beings?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Has anyone read statistics on women who already have children vs those who abort because they don't want the responsibility of a child at a specific point in their life.

Those numbers would be interesting and I bet surprising.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Very good point but... let's also not forget to reflect on the myriad of ways a woman may have gotten pregnant against her will...

True, but I always assume that anti-abortion people are talking about your every day woman who doesn't use birth control but chooses to have sex anyway, thinking that "it won't happen to her".
That way, we don't get bogged down in the all they ways that women can get pregnant. The OP is obviously talking about women who have sex and don't choose birth control (as if it's all the woman's responsibility).

Let's face it. If ALL sexually-active men were using birth control, women wouldn't get pregnant.

I do apologize for being maybe a tad bit aggressive in my response
my bad

Yeah. No need to come unglued on me.

but, I don't think that's the answer

If you knew the answer, then why did you ask? I'm a woman. I've been pregnant. I think I know why women get abortions. (not counting the raped, life-threatening, etc.) My sister had an abortion. I had a friend who had 2 kids who had an abortion. (As Annee mentioned)

that's like saying a person so much didn't want to get wet but jumped into an ocean without scuba gear.

People screw up. People aren't perfect. They make mistakes. They act on less than sound judgment. # happens. In a perfect world, only women who want kids would get pregnant. But this world is far from perfect.

since there's no logic in the answer, for me it can't be an answer.
Maybe it's a facade of an answer but not the real answer

Well, then what is the real answer?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Truly until you are a woman faced with this situation and choice there is nothing that can answer you fully.

Birth control is not 100%, women are raped, in abusive relationships, or just in a place where having a child is absolutely not feasible. Certainly some people use abortions too lightly, but in the majority of cases it is a hard and long thought out decision.

This is not a decision that is made lightly, but it is a decision that every woman should have the right to make.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
FIRST: let's get away from the stereotype.

Why Women Choose Abortion - Statistical Breakdown of Reasons For Abortion

womensissues.about.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap
Truly until you are a woman faced with this situation and choice there is nothing that can answer you fully.

Birth control is not 100% . . .

This is not a decision that is made lightly, but it is a decision that every woman should have the right to make.

Absolutely!

And let me repeat: Birth control is not 100%

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Myself I agree with abortion. I think a woman has the right to choose. Given the choice herself she may wish to keep the baby, and of course there is nothing wrong with that.

There may be however a reason that she cannot or should not keep the child and an abortion is a viable alternative. Having legal abortion available is a safer alternative.

I must disagree with this statement and it's probably the most offensive thing I have ever read on this site to date:

Is it perhaps mainly the father who imposes the decision on the mother?

When I learned about my son on the way, it was my wife's decision whether or not to keep him. I told her no matter what decision she chose I would support her. She chose to bring him into this world, and it was the best decision, now I have a wonderful son. But if she chose to end the pregnancy I would have supported her.

I cannot disagree with the above statement enough. I can't believe that there are people that actually think that men force women to have abortions. I am sure that in rare instances it happens, but to say it's mainly the father that imposes the decision on the mother? That's sick and twisted logic. That's like saying there are mobs of men out there dragging their wives by the hair down to the abortion clinic to end the pregnancy against her will.

What an offensive thing to say. And it sickens me that people think men are like that.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well legally men are liable for the life of any baby that is due to their seed, whether they want it or not. Yes you can duck a kid, but you must live under the radar to do so.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

How about some women just so much don't want a baby that they use contraceptives?????????????????????????????????

What kind of logic is this?

For you information I became pregnant with my second child while taking the pill.

Yes funny, right? I even blamed the doctor for no giving me a stronger dose of the pill, see he lowered the dose one year after my daughter was born I I had not idea, because I was not as educated on the matter as I am now.

One month later of he changing the dose, my son was conceived, I spend a lot of time in agony thinking that my son will be born with defect because me been on the pill.

So see it no always works.

I also witness the results of a blotched abortion when I was a child, I didn't understood what the problem was just that It was a lot of people in front of the house of a lady we knew and when the ambulance took her out of the door blood was dripping all over.

I remember my mother and another lady talking about "the lady having a bad job", I don't know what happen to her but I knew that she had a lot of children and was living on government housing, we were visiting people in the area at the time, this was in late 60s.

Like I say when is a will is a way.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I've been saying this in every abortion thread since I've joined.

I'm just going to toss out the name Geraldine Santoro and walk away. If you want to learn about her and other cases in a concise way, I will point you here: www.now.org...

I'm also going to throw out the term "herbal abortion".

Have fun learning.

Edit- The pill is 99% effective when taken properly. That means at the same time every single day, without taking antibiotics, excess vitamin C, St. John's Wort, or other substances that decrease the efficiency of the pill. But people don't know these things and that's why people get pregnant while using hormone therapy.

[edit on 10/14/2009 by ravenshadow13]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join