It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality is just a coping mechanism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItIsWhatItIs
reply to post by Amagnon

Hi

Enjoyed your views here and have a question.

What is your view on "after-life"?

The idea of an 'after life' is a fairly wide spread concept. It appears in a lot of religious literature.

The problem with discussing it, is that it is usually referred to as existing at a future time. So historical evidence is by definition impossible.

Some however claim rebirth, or re-incarnation - this is an area where data is possible to collect. Personally I haven't spent much time researching it - but have read of isolated cases of people having memories of past lives.

From a purely scientific point of view - there is no reason why past and future should not be equally available for us to remember - or why we should experience time as flowing in a certain direction - ie forwards. Certainly sub atomic particles seem to have no preference, and appear to be able to have states in the present they attained in the future.

My conclusion then in this regard is that time is a temporal dimension - and that reality as we know it on a macro scale exists only partially in the time dimension.

What does this mean for an afterlife - I haven't really given it a great deal of thought.

My view is that we will ALWAYS retain our current time stamp - in other words we will always exist NOW - so that our existence if viewed from a multi dimensional point of view is permanent - we exist now, therefore we will always exist now. Therefore our impact on reality in the now - is eternal.

It might not be the 700 (??) virgins brand of eternal life, but it is a kind of immortality in its own way.

Additionally - if there really is a single consciousness - then there is some chance that every facet of that retains its coherence at all times, regardless of whether it inhabits the other dimensions or not - that is the consciousness is non dimensional - and therefore not subject to dissolution of the other dimensions - so whether we are alive or dead our consciousness remains.

Who knows - highly speculative - but I wouldn't rule out eternal consciousness - but the 700 virgins thing - or kingdom of god thing - well, that requires a certain amount of imagination.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Originally posted by unityemissions
Sure I've thought about where my thoughts come from. They come from chemical reactions going off in the brain which respond, in part, to physical stimuli. It has yet to be proven, that the brain-dead think. Until that evidence is brought forward, I see no good reason to think otherwise.

I think the chemical reactions theory is just like when man looked at the earth and figured it was flat because thats all they could see.

There is no way random chemical reactions alone creates our complex thinking patterns. If it was just chemical reactions, we would have chaos up there.

Perhaps spirituality is a coping mechanism, but it works. And it works far better than religion. To believe there is a purpose to life is important, because there sure is no purpose to working and breeding alone (except for the purpose of bringing more humans to the planet). Its just a big hamster wheel - completely meaningless. We all know that.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by Copernicus]

Ah - meaning. Hmm - it is an interesting idea that spirituality instantly offers some meaning to ones life.

I am not sure exactly what you mean - but I kind of infer that you mean that knowing there is further existence allows you to deal with stresses of reality without getting overcome by them?

For me it is about preservation of sentience. While we are the predominant host of sentience - then our survival is of high importance. I feel sentience is extremely important - it offers a level of symmetry that cannot exist in mundane reality.

So we try and defeat those things which threaten our survival. So for me the moral imperative goes something like this;

1. Spread out and reproduce - so one catastrophe can't kill everyone - this means space travel and colonization.

2. Genetic deterioration and mortality - this means use eugenics and natural breeding to diversify and strengthen our genetic code - eliminate aging and death if possible. Improve our ability to think, and increase our resistance to disease and damage from the environment. Note that I am not very much into using medicine - better let the weak die to preserve the strong - if we keep breeding up the sick and weak irt will undermine our genetic code.

3. Protect everything that we require to survive - namely our environment. Protect bio diversity - protect water, air, natural resources and so on. We cannot exist in a vacuum - we have to intelligently act to control and maintain an environment suitable for our survival - we are interdependent on many species for survival - out of self interest, we need to ensure they remain diverse and healthy.

If there is purpose - then the things listed above are a moral purpose.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by Amagnon]

[edit on 14-10-2009 by Amagnon]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
From wiki:

We are complex animals living complex lives in which we are not always able to cope with the difficulties that we face. As a result, we are subject to feelings of tension and stress, for example the cognitive dissonance and potential shame of doing something outside our values. To handle this discomfort we use various coping methods.

Here are coping mechanisms by type:

* Adaptive mechanisms: That offer positive help.
* Attack mechanisms: That push discomfort onto others.
* Avoidance mechanisms: That avoid the issue.
* Behavioral mechanisms: That change what we do.
* Cognitive mechanisms: That change what we think.
* Conversion mechanisms: That change one thing into another.
* Defense mechanisms: Freud's original set.
* Self-harm mechanisms: That hurt our selves.

Here is a full list of coping mechanisms:

* Acting out: not coping - giving in to the pressure to misbehave.
* Aim inhibition: lowering sights to what seems more achievable.
* Altruism: Helping others to help self.
* Attack: trying to beat down that which is threatening you.
* Avoidance: mentally or physically avoiding something that causes distress.
* Compartmentalization: separating conflicting thoughts into separated compartments.
* Compensation: making up for a weakness in one area by gain strength in another.
* Conversion: subconscious conversion of stress into physical symptoms.
* Denial: refusing to acknowledge that an event has occurred.
* Displacement: shifting of intended action to a safer target.
* Dissociation: separating oneself from parts of your life.
* Emotionality: Outbursts and extreme emotion.
* Fantasy: escaping reality into a world of possibility.
* Help-rejecting complaining: Ask for help then reject it.
* Idealization: playing up the good points and ignoring limitations of things desired.
* Identification: copying others to take on their characteristics.
* Intellectualization: avoiding emotion by focusing on facts and logic.
* Introjection: Bringing things from the outer world into the inner world.
* Passive aggression: avoiding refusal by passive avoidance.
* Performing rituals: Patterns that delay.
* Projection: seeing your own unwanted feelings in other people.
* Provocation: Get others to act so you can retaliate.
* Rationalization: creating logical reasons for bad behavior.
* Reaction Formation: avoiding something by taking a polar opposite position.
* Regression: returning to a child state to avoid problems.
* Repression: subconsciously hiding uncomfortable thoughts.
* Self-harming: physically damaging the body.
* Somatization: psychological problems turned into physical symptoms.
* Sublimation: channeling psychic energy into acceptable activities.
* Substitution: Replacing one thing with another.
* Suppression: consciously holding back unwanted urges.
* Symbolization: turning unwanted thoughts into metaphoric symbols.
* Trivializing: Making small what is really something big.
* Undoing: actions that psychologically 'undo' wrongdoings for the wrongdoer.

From the above list it seems that absolutely anything anyone ever does is considered a coping mechanism. Humor is also considered a coping mechanism. Coping is a good thing. I hope everyone is able to cope with the many stressors assaulting us on a daily basis. Some are more helpful coping mechanisms than others but honestly, can you think of one thing you did today that didn't fit on that list somewhere?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I certainly can't say so!

I don't have a problem with people using coping mechanisms or spirituality to cope with life. My main concern is that the majority of the people I've interacted with who claim to be spiritual are highly narcissistic, apathetic, and uncompassionate.

I know, doesn't sound spiritual at all, but that's the truth of the matter. I find people use the term spirituality to say that their deeds or what goes on in the world doesn't really matter.

Obviously, I need to get out more and stop hanging around a bunch of A$$hole fools.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I certainly can't say so!

I don't have a problem with people using coping mechanisms or spirituality to cope with life. My main concern is that the majority of the people I've interacted with who claim to be spiritual are highly narcissistic, apathetic, and uncompassionate.

I've found that to be true about most people despite how they may label themselves.

I know, doesn't sound spiritual at all, but that's the truth of the matter. I find people use the term spirituality to say that their deeds or what goes on in the world doesn't really matter.

Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing it.

Obviously, I need to get out more and stop hanging around a bunch of A$$hole fools.

Best of luck to you. Not being sarcastic. I really wish you well.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Hi again,
Maybe those people do not understand spirituality, or maybe some of them have reached Equanimity where they are not effected by everything around them anymore, which is where we are meant to be finding the balance in life.

I have found people claiming spirituality and then act in opposite ways, much like many religionists. This is not about Spirituality being non existent or a crock, but moreso about those people being disinformed and having limitations in their growth perhaps.

Equanimity isn't the same as apathy. When in equanimity we can see and not be effected, and therefore choose clearly what our actions are to be instead of reacting.

Thanks again.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Definitely not equanimity.

If it was they would be considerate, but this just isn't the case.

I was in this state to some degree, until I realized just how messed up things are in the world, and how little most people care. Seeing how many catastrophic disasters are coming to fruition around the same time, and how the masses unwillingness to become aware of these things (until the last second which will be too late) will cause unfathomable consequences to us and all life on earth.

Now I'm mostly emotionally retarded and can't stand being social.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Definitely not equanimity.

If it was they would be considerate, but this just isn't the case.

I was in this state to some degree, until I realized just how messed up things are in the world, and how little most people care. Seeing how many catastrophic disasters are coming to fruition around the same time, and how the masses unwillingness to become aware of these things (until the last second which will be too late) will cause unfathomable consequences to us and all life on earth.

Now I'm mostly emotionally retarded and can't stand being social.

Being inconsiderate of others is an instant marker to show they are not "where" they think they are. Perhaps it is best to cut those ties and seek out genuine people, whether or not they are spiritually minded does not really matter as long as they are honest, whole and have Integrity.

For me this has been the hardest thing, to find Honest people with Integrity. It has caused the end of friendships lasting over 25 years and has prevented me from seeking new friends because so few today are honest with themselves let alone with all others. Fear is again the culprit there.

I had the same type of inner turmoil over the vast numbers who do not or cannot see what is going on around them. I tried to point it out but got shut down rapidly because they did not WANT to hear it.

I saw them as similar to new-agers who think, "Only love and light" and refuse to even take a peek at what is going on. That was when I realised they are in Fear at all times by avoiding reality.

They are intent on perceiving only one side of reality and so will not take one step to clarity let alone shine the light into their own darkness, accept it as part of themselves and become whole.

Most will not wake up until they are impacted more than they can handle, maybe then they might stand up for change, real change and not political rhetoric.

I find that sad as I do not like to see anyone suffering for no reason, but at the same time I do understand that each person is at their level of awareness and ability to process and cope with information. So I had to take a step back and allow them to have their stuff.

Then something my old teacher said to me back in the 70's popped into my mind; "We are seed planters. It is not our task to insure the seeds grow. Once planted your job is done."

So I have been a fringe dweller in society, observing, planting seeds, assisting those who seek Awakening and doing my own thing whether society likes it or not.

There are some truisms we can look at relating to these stuations:-

"Being in the world but not of it" is a partial quote that comes to mind. The full quote is...

"We priests must live in two worlds, the world of form and the other world of force, for True enlightenment lay between them, so therefore let us choose to be in the world but not of it."

This tells us a great deal about Equanimity and action.

The other that pops into mind is an ancient Druidic maxim, "Truth against the world." Now most people have a negative reaction to that, which I find amusing in a way because it shows they do not see the great truth within it. Which is basically that the ways of man are opposed to the ways of truth.. and not the religionists truths or any other belief-system's truths, but the Truth which we all shun in our deeper search for Materialism.

Sorry to warble on like this, I just wanted you to know you are not alone no matter how separate you may feel from others. There are more and more people slowly starting to open their eyes. As we move through the next two years you will begin to find others who you will assist through the same difficulites as you are experiencing now. So be strong and clear.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Needed to BUMP your post...to add something.

Originally posted by Geladinhu

In my point of view reason and logic are the coping mechanisms.
Nothing more then part of the mind that evolved into having these mechanisms for the survival of the species.

Spirituality is a journey of knowledge that has no end and that has no right or wrong way or pattern of thinking. Its integral; it includes the wholeness of our existence or experience, specially those that make no sense to our reason.

ADD;
"

Each person is at each moment capable of remembering all that has ever happened to him and of perceiving everything that is happening everywhere in the universe.

The function of the brain and nervous system is to protect us from being
overwhelmed and confused by this mass of largely useless and irrelevant knowledge, by shutting out most of what we should otherwise perceive or remember at any moment, and leaving only that very small and special selection which is likely to be practically useful..
"

these insights said by Aldous Huxley, 'Doors Of Perception'

re; coping mechanisms, spirituality...
in the deconstruct model, 'spirituality' could be classed as a worldview we individually gravitate towards & develop...replacing one's childhood 'imagination' with all those characters dwelling in that personal 'world'
which i disgree with, but what the hey, i;m schizophrenic

[edit on 15-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Spirituality.

The feelgood feelings are gratitude, acceptance, trust and honesty.
The feelbad feelings are their opposites - self-pity, resentment, fear and dishonesty.
The feelings are related to the firing rates of neurons. Feelgood feelings are associated with higher dendrite firing rates and feelbad feelings are associated with lower dendrite firing rates.
Spirituality can be simply defined as "love" and occurs when there feelgood feelings predominate and firing rates are increased.
Sprituality or the feeling of love can be achieved by self-respect and self-restraint, considering others before yourself and the feeling that you are not the centre of the Universe.
Spirituality may be achieved through other external means
Alcohol
Drugs
People
Food
Spending
Sex
Gambling
Travel
Cults/religion
However the best way is probably through insight that you do not need external means of altering the mind to think, feel and behave in a loving manner.

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make"
Lennon/McCartney "The End"

[edit on 15-10-2009 by dr treg]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Here is my definition of the concept of "Karma".

Its like a bully who grabs your hands and hits you with it and then asks you "Why do you keep hitting yourself".

I talked to a hindu evangelist guy on the street and I asked him in regards to suffering. His firm answer was "they diserve it".

Imagine a society (India) where the rich oppress the poor, and think they doing them a favour. And the poor look at the rich and assume they must be of a higher spirituality.

People who live lushly look away from peoples suffering and feel justified. This is the effect of karma.

I may turn away from peoples suffering, but that is a sin. I am not as compassionate as I could be but that is a failing on my part, it is not something to be proud of.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
[edit on 30-10-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Slave the man

1) Physically
2) Mentally
3) Spiritually

And you pretty much have him there.

I used to be heavily into psych, now into different things. Psychology is an empty shell that cannot crack the mystery of life.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
Slave the man

1) Physically
2) Mentally
3) Spiritually

And you pretty much have him there.

I used to be heavily into psych, now into different things. Psychology is an empty shell that cannot crack the mystery of life.

1. I'm physically pretty fit and well.

2. I test in the gifted range.

3. Spirituality, as most people spread it around, is psychopathy. It's sickness. I choose not to contaminate my mind with it's mindlessness.

No slave here. I'm simply utterly disgusted by humanities lack of awareness. We are our own demise.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Op can believe what he or she wants. Not our business.

Nothing more to be said.

Is that why the people who run this world channel the light. What is the light, and how do you channel something, other than it being spiritual.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yeah, you can believe what you want too. Who is channeling light?! Come on, man. How many youtube videos do you believe without a lick of evidence? It's architecture, not an interdimensional portal to channel light.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Tony blair said in a newspaper article, he channeled the light every morning.

Its from there own words.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Quote please. I'm sure, if he said it, his words are being taken out of context. 95% of the world believes in a god. They express the way they feel when thinking of God in a multitude of ways. One of the catchy phrases as of late, is to experience the light.

Self delusions. Visual imagery stimulates the right-brain. Higher right-brain activation is correlated with higher parasympathetic activation. It's a method of calming ones self down. Nothing metaphysical about it. It's all in your head!

For instance, I'm left-handed, right-brained. I have practiced meditation for years. I'm to the point now, that I can close my eyes and instantaneously feel relief. My whole body tingles, and I start visualizing all sorts of oddities. I realize, all the same, this is a product of biochemical reactions and intent. It has nothing, whatsoever, to do with God or channeling light. This is how most people in ancient times would describe it, and many still do.

It's an extra layer of garbage. I can't stand religious or spiritual new-age dogma. It's all a bunch of nonsense. We don't create reality, we interact with THE world. People who can believe this stuff are incredibly self-absorbed. It's very sad.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Tony Blair has said that he believes in god, and saying you do in uk, is a massive mistake, people think your nuts. He said all this.

You can find it in google probably, if you look, i have no time. But blair, is obsessed with religion since leaving office lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Reality is not set apart from your own experiences and understandings my friend, allow me to give you an example.

YOU have NEVER seen a color. In your whole life, never priviledge to see such a thing. Neither has any other human on the planet.

We've seen plenty of "shades" of colour, but nothing else. What I see as the color "green" may be a completely different thing for than for me. Why is that if reality is not subjective to the human experience?

Spirituality is not a coping mechanism. You are not your brain. Ever thought of where your "thoughts" come from? Not your brain but something else. You brain is simply the medium used to interpret them.

Your body is a tool, the soul is the user.

~Keeper

I must agree.
Close your eyes, and imagine your room. Have a memory of ANYTHING from your eyes.
NOW WHAT DID YOU SEE??
probably what you were aiming to see (your room or whatever)

BUT DID YOU SEE YOUR HANDS??
DID YOU SEE YOUR CLOTHING?
DID YOU SEE YOUR FEET/SHOES...did u see the bridge of your nose as you "remembered"...

interesting how we just remember from a "floating" absent point of view rather than what we actually VIEWED IT AS.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join