It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate committe approves health care plan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – With support from a lone Republican, a key Senate committee Tuesday approved a middle-of-the-road health care plan that moves President Barack Obama's goal of wider and affordable coverage a giant step closer to becoming law.

I knew it was gonna end up in the middle of the road. One step closer. Whether you agree with it or not.

yahoo

edited to add additional linkies for the news hounds

reuters

cnn

[edit on 13-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Now the Finance Committee has cleared the bill, the focus will quickly shift to the closed doors of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's office.
The Nevada Democrat must merge the conservative-leaning Finance Committee legislation with a more liberally drawn bill approved by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

The primary difference between the Finance Committee bill and the health committee legislation involves a government-run insurance company -- the public option.

Oh I guess the public option still has to be decided.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Looks like you got beat to the punch...by mere moments.. A+ for effort though.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Can it really be called "middle of the road" when only one person from the opposing party vote in favor of the plan? I don't think it can.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Thank you but there really is no way to tell. Unless the mods have more specific numbers.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I would say yes if that party has genuine intentions. But since the only intentions are to bring down the democratic party right now, then I would say that one vote is significant.

I know that the vote has to be washed, dried, pressed, signed, notarized, buried flown like a kite before we know what the final product is.

But I thought that what the majority of the conservative party was against was the public option.
So if they managed to reform without a public option, I would say that is a success for both sides.

quite frankly, I am getting to the point where I don't care what they decide, as long as I never have to hear about it again. XD

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sure there is.. a quick glance at the "newest threads" will show you which one posted first..

Either way, they're in different areas, so it's no biggie to have both active... it's just harder to follow both discussions.

As for the OP, wasn't it Snowe that also ensured the nearly trillion dollar bailout got pushed through without any support from the republicans?

In my opinion, health care reform is needed, but I think they're making a huge mistake here. Support from one (R) will now be portrayed by the most of the MSM as overwhelming partisan support.

Personally, I think if this continues, the Democrats have just sealed their fate.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

WASHINGTON – With support from a lone Republican, a key Senate committee Tuesday approved a middle-of-the-road health care plan that moves President Barack Obama's goal of wider and affordable coverage a giant step closer to becoming law.

I knew it was gonna end up in the middle of the road. One step closer. Whether you agree with it or not.

yahoo

edited to add additional linkies for the news hounds

reuters

cnn

[edit on 13-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

If America is such a democracy like they say it is, why don't they let the people vote on it?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The sad thing is that the bill as it sits now will not do anything significant to control healthcare costs. As long as we continue to pay doctors like sweatshop workers....based on the number of procedures/office visits they can grind out......there will never be any market pressure for them to cut costs. Any healthcare reform that doesn't contain a fundamental restructuring in how we pay the providers is going to fail to address the biggest problem, which is that the care is rapidly becoming too expensive for the American public to afford.

The trouble with being "middle of the road" is that you tend to get run over there.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
We must not forget the attitude of Republicans. When it comes time we must vote them out of the office for not giving us One payer public option health Plan. Middle class is the one that suffering the most and we as middle class can stick it to them.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

I don't think it's "middle of the road" at all. It's a huge multi-billion-dollar giveaway to the insurance industry. No wonder Olympia Snowe voted for it.

If Congress mandates that everybody in the country must have health insurance, but there are no curbs on what the insurance companies can charge, they can raise their rates to whatever they want and people will have to pay them. And then, of course, they will have the additional bonanza of millions of new customers on top of greater revenues.

The only way to keep the insurance companies honest is to offer a not-for-profit option--a "public option" funded by the government. Then the insurance companies will have to compete with the government for cost and coverage and they will have to keep their rates lower and cover more people and conditions.

I do not support any bill that will force me to buy whatever the insurance companies want to offer.

Without the "public option" health insurance reform will only benefit the mega-corporations, not the American people. I will not support legislation that doesn't have one.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
The only way to keep the insurance companies honest is to offer a not-for-profit option--a "public option" funded by the government. Then the insurance companies will have to compete with the government for cost and coverage and they will have to keep their rates lower and cover more people and conditions.

I agree completely! I still have hope that the final bill could possibly have a public option, but I'm not holding my breath. All I can do is call my congressmen!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I don't trust anything that comes out of Washington right now. We're going to get screwed...I know it...you know it...we all do.

But it gets even better.

Goldman Sach's employees make 23 BILLION in bonuses in 2009!

I simply can't believe it....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The answer isn't a public option or regulations by the government - if you want to keep the insurance industry honest and competitive you do the exact same thing you do in any industry - you keep competition alive so that the true winners are customers. And the government should NOT be in business competing with anyone, period.

The only way to keep insurance competition alive and healthy is to open up private insurance purchasing across state lines so that you increase the number of players in the pool - give people far more choices AND make it easier for people to buy insurance; those insurance companies that remain competitive will stay afloat and those that don't will go bankrupt. That much is assured.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by sos37]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Well, we don't enforce anti-trust laws in this country anymore so that won't work. Small competitors cannot compete against the big boys as they can undercut prices much easier.

Health insurance should be non profit...which doesn't mean it needs to be run by government.

Health insurance companies supply nothing and produce nothing. They push numbers around. That's it...they are nothing but banks.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This health care reform shows to those that wants to see, who our government is working for, when we the people are going to be forced to support by law private entities in this nation.

Servants and slaves are just the beginning of the list of names we the people can be call for in the New Amerika.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

If there were more open jobs for people to contribute to a companies healthcare, those prices would be stable and affordable. There is no way to fix this problem if there are no jobs for people to pay for it.
Create jobs first then reform healthcare, i'll bet ya it wouldnt need to be anything like what they are trying to promote at the moment.

This is the last economical giant the Government wants to get their tentacles wrapped around.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Mailman]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mailman

I wish it was the government working for the people the one wrapping its tentacles around the corrupted private insurances business, but I am afraid that is the corrupted private insurance business the one that have our government wrapped around with its tentacles, now we the tax payer will be investing trillions to support that big monster, or in lame terms bail them out.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If the Senate Finance bill becomes the type of health reform we will
eventually get, the premiums will skyrocket well beyond what any
meager government subsidies can cover. The insurance industry
said this themselves via the Price-Waterhouse report on 10/12/09.

And remember, the subsidy payments to individuals and families
are highest for the poorest and the least for the middle class. A
family earning more than $79,000 a year will get ZILCH from the
Fed Government, but a 100% increase in health insurance premiums
over the next 8 years. Can you say "OUCH?".

There can be a government health insurance plan if the President
removes his $900 billion dollar 10 year cost cap. Not every family
can afford the estimated $350 to $500 a month in premiums to the
government though. This range is the estimated family monthly cost
after applying the government subsidy.

There's no in-expensive solution because we're some of the sickest
people in the industrialized would. The fat person's diseases along
with mental issues are rampant in this country. Medical and prescription
costs per-person beat every other country by a long shot.
-cwm

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I knew I spelled tantacles wrong, thanks.

Why were we not looking at these big insurance companies ten twenty years ago? This crisis unfolded yesterday because its sombodies agenda, not because it needs adressed.
They will go ahead and pass this, and the unemployment rate will continue to rise... Why enable the problem with such a massive change, that will keep things mostly the way they are?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join