It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Finance Committee Approves Health Care Bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Senate Finance Committee Approves Health Care Bill

www.foxnews.com

Health care reform cleared a momentous hurdle Tuesday, as the Senate Finance Committee voted to send its version of the legislation to the Senate floor after months of closely watched deliberations.

The committee voted 14-9 in favor of the package. One Republican, Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe, broke with her party to support the bill. All 13 Democrats on the panel voted in favor of it, while the rest of the Republicans opposed it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I know that everyone has a different opinion on this. It is a sensitive subject that many feel passionatly about. I personally feel like this is a very dark day in our history. Scary times. This will hit our already devistated economy hard I think. My husband is self employed and we have discussed how this will hit his business. I dont know how small businesses will continue to be able to afford employees. I feel for the many who rely on medicare and medicaid. They just said it cuts $500billion out of medicare. There were so many people who were so passionatly against this. What will they do? Will they shrug their shoulders and give in?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Democracy at work
ONE GOP Vote!

wow!

here comes change everyone!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

No public option to compete with the private insurance that already are warning the population that they will have to increase rates and create cheaper health care packages for companies.

That means cheap health care will go after those that can afford a more expensive one.

People that are strapped for money still will be forced into cheap crappy insurance coverage.

Way to go morons in Washington as usual another disaster for the tax payer and the poor still have to fall under Medicare and Medicaid with new cuts.

Our nation is just falling more and more behind the rest of the world.

I predict the disastrous bill will not last when people come to the realization that private health care will be rammed with penalties up their butts.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

On the bright side if this does occur and everyone is forced to pay higher premiums, we'll have the same people who were kicking and screaming about the public option begging for it to be implemented.

Maybe it was meant to be that way all along?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Democracy at work
ONE GOP Vote!

wow!

Democracy indeed!

Americans put those democrats in power by exercising their right to vote.

The idea that republicans don't have a voice in congress is their own fault by losing the election, not that of democrats.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What I can't figure out is why they would vote against a bill they helped put together..
You'd think they'd have worked on changing the parts they don't like while it was still being put together.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The public option is not dead. I think the plan all along was to get some form of bill through the commitee so that the dems can have their way with it. Their is still much talk about it being included, which is why the repulicans are now fighting mad. They feel that it is already going down behind closed doors and they are not a part of it.

Way to go, Snowe!

[edit on 10/13/09 by IconoclasticTalamasca]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Democracy at work
ONE GOP Vote!

wow!

Not a single republican voted for social security, not a single republican voted for medicare and most likely not one republican will vote for health care change. Why do republicans hate America?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Phlegmi]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

Can you point out how this is hate? I see it as a belief that we are all responsible citizens that are capable of handling our own finances and health. With the inclusion of charities et al. and a lower tax structure that isn't oppressive towards people that strive more than just a local job at the burger joint should be able to maintain without said bloated programs provided for by the government.

American's for the whole have either given up on self governance or are just too busy to pay attention.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Yes Obama is covering his butt, when he promised that if the private insurance fail to deliver the government demands he will bring the private option.

But we all know that is nothing but empty promises and nothing but another way to force the population into doing what the elite in government wants using mandatory law.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi

Democracy at work
ONE GOP Vote!

wow!

Not a single republican voted for social security, not a single republican voted for medicare and most likely not one republican will vote for health care change. Why do republicans hate America?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Phlegmi]

LOL!!! yet they all benefit from those government programs...and would KILL if anyone tried to take them away. Republicans are never for change...give them their way, and we would still be running the pony express, congress would still be wearing those ridiculous white wigs, and they would still be oppressing women and blacks.

If not for the left, NOTHING would EVER change. Thank you to liberals for keeping the US current with the rest of the world!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
LOL!!! yet they all benefit from those government programs...and would KILL if anyone tried to take them away. Republicans are never for change...give them their way, and we would still be running the pony express, congress would still be wearing those ridiculous white wigs, and they would still be oppressing women and blacks.

If not for the left, NOTHING would EVER change. Thank you to liberals for keeping the US current with the rest of the world!

Maybe this is all republican lies right?

Yes....its all the Repubs fault. Way to perpetuate ignorance and spew nonsense while not even answering questions or asking valid questions.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Maybe this is all republican lies right?

Yes....its all the Repubs fault. Way to perpetuate ignorance and spew nonsense while not even answering questions or asking valid questions.

**Edit for addition**
And I know quotes and history can show Republicans doing the same thing. Hence why my political and personal hero of the whole American experiment is John Adams...never owned a slave and hated the fact we could advocate freedom yet hold others in slavery.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by mrsdudara

No public option to compete with the private insurance that already are warning the population that they will have to increase rates and create cheaper health care packages for companies.

That means cheap health care will go after those that can afford a more expensive one.

Fear Fear Fear

Same old stuff here, nothing to see

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
What I can't figure out is why they would vote against a bill they helped put together..
You'd think they'd have worked on changing the parts they don't like while it was still being put together.

Cause they are playing politics - no hands on - no blame for failure...

Either pays big or not

Big bet there

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Sometimes I wonder about people that wants to stay oblivious of what goes on in this nation, rather prefer to listen to empty promises while no taking in consideration our government history of failure when it comes to the people they represent.

But then again I blame the education system that has been in decline for many decades, an uneducated nation that doesn't understand deception is better manipulated.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
www.cnsnews.com...
**Edited for gross mistakes in grammar**

I still contend, why were the Republicans/critics/etcs. ideas not EVEN considered. The President makes a call out and 'welcomes' an open debate and ideas, yet turns his back to any of them, just as Congress has.

We have an obviously highly intelligent, business savvy CEO give and OpED on what some simple steps could be done right now to help fix the system without the massive inclusion of a new, bloated and impossible to ever get rid of bureaucracy.

John Mackey - Health Care Ideas

Please point out anything in his list that would generate the distaste that my first link would do? That is correct, it doesnt give power in the hands of Washington.

This whole ridiculous nonsense that is occurring on the Hill stinks (I am rarely to ever think there are highly nefarious things like I am claiming by the way!) I don't think people are actually looking at the proposed bills, what is in them, what it will mean for you, your family, your children, your children's children and so forth.

What ever happened to America's pride. Our pride that we know how to pick ourselves up, from getting our teeth kicked in and dragged through the mud to come out a better, stronger person? Self reliance, self governance, self power....wait that is it right there. Those three things are what nearly every politician despises and despised about us (Dems and Repubs). This health care bill when it hits for the full vote of the House/Senate will be nothing for your health and everything for the future vote pandering and gigantic taxation of your very existence.

Do I want to see our system corrected, made better? Absolutely. I would probably say 95% of the people against the Health-care reform that Congress is currently proposing is for some type of fixing. Again, those ideas were kept out, ignored, whatever the case may be so that these monstrosity of an idea. Why are we reinventing the wheel?

[edit on 14-10-2009 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Close doors debate is not an open debate specially when we the people are exempt from that debate.

Sad that I vote for Obama because his promise of open government and transparency, sadly he lie to the nation, when he in his campaign promised open doors to the public.

Can you trust a liar? I can not.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This isn't directed at you, but I have noticed when logical, truthful information is presented here that is pretty hard to debate and would require some excellent debating skills, people ignore what you post.

Again, not directed at you, just making a prediction that any reply to what I wrote will be gleefully ignored. It is the truth about what you said. I didn't vote for him, but doesn't mean I didn't want some of the things he was using as his rhetoric.

1. Bills posted online 72 hours before Congress votes for them -- The president should be pressuring Congress and using the bully pulpit to force this issue...instead he has been using it to whine about Fox News.

2. Open transparency and welcoming debate -- Show me where and I will stand corrected.

3. No new taxes on the middle class. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, tell me how that goes for ya'll in 3 years after the health care bill is passed.

4. A stimulus bill that was heavily influenced by far-left wing fringe anti-capitalist groups such as The Apollo Alliance. That has thus far done nothing but probably fatten the pockets of more people President Bush is claimed to have done.

I could probably go on, but it would side-track this thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join