Let's Make Work Mandatory or you go to jail!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i'm a little late to the discussion. i haven't read through the whole thread, but thought i would share my thoughts on the opening post.

work, jail, bills, laws, religions

what is the difference? work or jail is not exactly a healthy choice, i think.

Originally posted by StinkyFeet
Let's make work mandatory, just like they want to make healtcare mandatory. Almost everyone in this country is capable of some sort of work. Even a person with Downs Syndrome can work at McDonalds. .

work is mandatory to some measure. i've been working for over 24 years now. i've paid more than $60,000 on car insurance (mandatory by law) in total over the years and i've never had to make a claim. and i have never owned a vehicle worth more than $14,000. at what point do these insurance companies owe me a new car? work or jail. work for what? to keep me out of jail?

earth is a jail with more laws than any one soul can live long enough to learn, and no soul seems to know the number of them. and my tax dollars pay lawmakers to make new laws when i can't even be permitted to know how many laws already govern over me.

tax payer: "how many laws are there?"
politicians/wardens: "we can't tell you, trust us, we need you to pay us more money to make more laws."

I say unless you are quadrepalegic then you should be able to do something useful.

steven hawking is useful.
christopher o'deil reeve was useful.

I know there is high unemployment, but lets put people to work for minimum wage to clean the streets by hand or to carry a working person's breifcase from place to place.

cleaning streets by hand? carrying briefcases?
um... when you mentioned jail you weren't referring to prison also, right?

There is no excuse not to work ...

aside from the excuses mentioned, there are excuses. one of the problems may be peoples' reluctance to admit to themselves the true reasons behing their excuses. and other peoples inability to recognize the roots of such recalcitrant behavior.

Work is good. Work raises your self worth and makes you a contributor instead of a taker. Work is a health issue. Work is healthy!

prescription: work.
side effects: addiction to $
prognosis: civilizational super-ego anti-mitosis resulting in social engineering and acute death.

Who makes the rules? Rulers make the rules. Who follows the rules? followers, of course. how many rules are there? ask the rulers.

natural skills, tools, purpose and currency don't always mix well.

just some thought, things and stuff.

i could be wrong, what do i know?

-ET

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Both Hitler and Stalin believed in forcing people to work. Weren't the work camps that Stalin ran called gulags?

Congratulations, OP! You are now a fascist!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

But the Government should NOT be obligated to CARRY your ass if you choose not to work. The FREE RIDE is what we should outlaw. We should ABOLISH WELFARE and ABOLISH the FREE RIDE.

And here's the thing (and I think you'll agree): we can't abolish welfare before we abolish the minimum wage. Here's why (among other reasons):

1. Minimum Wage laws cause the job market to contract.

2. Minimum Wage laws prevent hard-working minimum-wage employees from getting promotions (therefore, removing incentives to work hard).

3. Minimum Wage laws force job-creating capitalists to pay management less, so that they can pay burger-flippers more.

4. Once Minimum Wage laws have forced a welfare system into place, it drives the price of everything up to whatever minimum-wage workers can afford. Bags of Lays Classic would drop in price if food-stamp recipients (~10% of the population) weren't forced to compete with so-called "minimum-wage" workers.

5. It prevents would-be workers from legally taking jobs for less than the wage-floor.

Minimum Wage laws are devastating to the poor. The American Right-Wing has had this backwards strategy for too long, where they try to abolish welfare without abolishing the laws that force us into welfare.

Scrap the minimum-wage, and let the markets run free. Stop making it a crime to give somebody an honest days wage of $5.00 an hour to shovel rocks into a bucket.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by theWCH]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The United States is already setup to incarcerate those who are unable to maintain a living. Good luck being homeless and free. Laws have been written that apply specifically towards the homeless in order to arrest, convict and imprison so that those "Useless" members of society are making our prisons a profit and maintain employment for those who run them.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
How truly sad! Forcing a disabled person. who is deaf, dumb, blind and mute, to work! The ones they should go to jail are the nutballs, seriously. Some are not really nuts but use that `plea` to get leniency from the courts.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Who defines what is work & what is not?

I think for most people one must be engaged in something, just to stay mentally alive,

but that one has to engage in drudgery for some perverse sake?

I am really bothered that we have a terribly toxic vision that everyone must fit into some Employer's job slot.

Is that really what America is about?
It sounds more like some Soviet requirements.

It is like we are all supposed to be some kind of politically correct, agreeable, plastic electro-clone robot.
Plug us into the closest corporate cubbyhole so we can be some employer's pawn.

I do work.
I work for ME.
& it doesn't have to [& generally doesn't] fit into anyone's 'Standardized socket connection.'

There is something wrong with you,
but there is something wrong with a lot of people.

Buying into the corporate slave culture.

Save those shackles as an extra pair for you,
i sure the hell don't need to put them on.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Make anyone who wishes to recieve welfare an employee of the state/city. These people can do simple jobs like wiping the streets or collecting garbage.

But if someone does not live on welfare, then you cannot force him to work, it is against his basic rights and freedom. And it does not solve anything, because there is not enough jobs for people who want to work in the first place.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
How truly sad! Forcing a disabled person. who is deaf, dumb, blind and mute, to work! The ones they should go to jail are the nutballs, seriously. Some are not really nuts but use that `plea` to get leniency from the courts.

Please don't group in deaf with dumb and mute. That's highly offensive. As a deaf man, I work my ass off for everything I have in life. No one's "forcing" me to work. Some just choose not to work because employers are still operating as if the Americans with Disabilities Act never existed.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Here's my biggest problem with the anti-welfare/unemployment argument on here: The government spends a FRACTION on social services like welfare.

en.wikipedia.org...

$360 billion - Unemployment/Welfare/Other mandatory spending

Let's see how much the estimated cost of the Dept of Defense and Global War on Terror measures up:

$515.4 billion - United States Department of Defense
$145.2 billion(2008*) - Global War on Terror

$660 billion combined.

That's a full $300 billion more being spent on defense and this does not include the cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (which are appropriated).

Nitpick at the stats all you want but the bottom line is that you have no right to be complaining about the amount spent on unemployment and welfare when we are spending far more on defense and war (and this doesn't include black ops!).

I feel sorry for the folks arguing for the abolishment of social services. They've been brainwashed/corrupted for years by the fright-wing hate machine.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by The Sword]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
the people on welfare are already required to work so many hours...
a friend I had in NY was one welfare and well, was working her mandated hours at a job that the social services unit arranged for here, assisting on a bus that ran young children to the local headstart program, of which, well, her children recieved priority when it came to acceptance to this program because, well, she needed to work....
okay, she found a better paying job, as a personal care aide...only catch was, she had to go through a few weeks unpaid training, which she was willing to do. but, well, she had this mandate, and for some reason, known only to social services, that unpaid traning just wasn't good enough, she has to stick with her bus aide job till completion....

ummm...the personal care job would have paid her enough to get off welfare,
the other job was all paid for by taxpayers, bus service, gov't sponsered, headstart program, gov't sponsered.....

does this even make sense to anyone, because it certainly doesn't to me!

ya, make the people go to work in jobs that are created by the gov't specially for them to do, ah yes, that creates a need, childcare, more money spent for more programs, of which, will provide more jobs for these people.... pay more for these people so they can have the child care, they can have the transportation to work , so they can have the clothes to wear to work, the lunches that they eat at work, and well, still be forking over the majority of their benefits to them because these jobs do not pay enough for them to get off the assistance!

We end up paying more and getting less!! these people (mostly single moms) were dong society more of a service, just by staying home and taking care of their own kids!

but well, look into the welfare to work programs across the country, and you will find many non-profit groups out there that sprung up (compliments of the US taxpayer) and are catering to the needs that was created. and then, look at the top echelon of their payroll, and you will find those who are benefitting from our taxdollars! and, well, then look at the incentives that are giving to those who employ these people, and well, ask yourself why on earth any business would hire a housewife who is trying to re enter the workforce with comparable skills as those who are being propped up by the government, who needs to earn at least enough to actually pay for their childcare needs...and well, who are you gonna hire???
what happens to the housewife, who really needs to enter the workforces to keep the household finances even close to balanced??

oh, ya, she kicks her husband out and goes on welfare, so she can be in equal standing as those other's who the gov't has already propped up!! after all, it's the only way that her kids can have their needs met short of getting a job! and the employers are going for those who are willing, no needing to take any job, regardless of the pay, who don't have to worry about making at least enough to pay for the childcare, the transportation cost, the clothing needs, the lunchtime meals, ect!!!!

[edit on 2-7-2010 by dawnstar]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

We have record unemployment because jobs are being lost, not because people just quit working.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

This is almost comical. Ever try to live on minimum wage? Can't do it, period.

So, we're going to pay a bunch of people minimum wage to walk around picking up trash, or trimming weeds, or whatever... And if they don't? If they don't, we're going to throw them in jail, where they have three meals a day, and a warm bed that actually costs more than what they'd make if they worked at minimum wage.

Brilliant...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
That would be a bad idea, I mean, what if I win the Lotto and don't have to work!!! I feel that if our government limited and regulated our welfare and other benefits program, that would force lazy people into finding work, Having the govt police people for not working is unconstitutional, but if a person doesn't have any income and has no other choice, then they would more than likely get a job. I agree that not every person needs to work, like stay at home mom's, folks truly disabled, and the independently wealthy. You are correct though in assuming that work is good for a person's soul

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It is hard to believe this trolling expedition is still active.

People, the OP (Stinkyfeet) was BANNED last year because he/she was one of the more blatant Trolls on ATS.

Simply click on the OP and review the asinine posts/threads listed there...

The Mods should be highly commended for Banning the OP's garbage.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Everybody works in some capacity. It's just that some people are lucky enough to get a living wage while doing so. If someone qualifies for disability... why would you want to force them to work and displace able-bodied workers? That doesn't make sense. I'd rather see them volunteer in some capacity and be rewarded in ways that boost their self esteem.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
if work is mandatory than hiring must be mandatory. if hiring is mandatory than every company will soon go out of business because there will be to many employs to pay. this is a very flawed and poorly thought out idea. you can't throw someone in jail because no one is willing to hire them.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet
Let's make work mandatory, just like they want to make healtcare mandatory. Almost everyone in this country is capable of some sort of work. Even a person with Downs Syndrome can work at McDonalds.

I say unless you are quadrepalegic then you should be able to do something useful. I know there is high unemployment, but lets put people to work for minimum wage to clean the streets by hand or to carry a working person's breifcase from place to place.

I say if you refuse to work, you should get the same fines as what they propose in Healthcare "Reform" for not having insurance.

There is no excuse not to work unless you are severly ill or severly handicapped. Even most people in wheelchairs can drive around and move somthing from place to place or work in an office answering the phone.

Work is good. Work raises your self worth and makes you a contributor instead of a taker. Work is a health issue. Work is healthy!

[edit on 13-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

I'm not going to bother reading his entire thread. My only purpose is to comment directly to the OP... are you fascist!? This is the most ill-informed rant I have ever read!
You are either young and naive or you are sorely lacking in general intelligence. Ever hear of freedom? You may want to familiarize yourself with the concept - or have you already been too brainwashed by the corporatocracy?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Corporations don't work for their government WELFARE,

so why should anyone else?

and the corporations don't even pay any taxes on it to boot!

Corporations are the ultimate freeloaders,

but you want to bitch about poor suffering people.

Shame on your apostate backside.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Here is a better idea, food stamps and other services can only be obtained by either 20 hours of comunity service a month or for low income working homes. I work hard for what i get but with today's economy 100.00 dollars is nothing. If i work and meet the income requirement i can get stamps. Alot of families are starving because they have to wait for mommy or daddy to get paid before they can eat but some lazy person gets to sit home all day and get fat while doing nothing.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I think single moms too should get a break but how about getting mom to volunteer in her childs school. She can be with the kids all day and contribute. If she has no job she can volunteer at school and get services she needs. Problem with america is that if you dont get paid its not a real job. That's why no one ever volunteers.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join