It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart captures the essence of the madness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by UMayBRite!

Ahhh, you mean like settling for the lesser of two evils??

I say gimme the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...or STFU!

I can't believe not one question from him regarding the legal immunity given to the vaccine manufacturers.

How about questioning the mercury in the shots?

How about the Squalene, which is known to be dangerous?

The CNN bit was admittedly funny, but what an EPIC FAIL on Jon's part on the interview which follows!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What happened to the generation of Edward R. Murrow, when the media was called the "Fourth Estate" and its members treated as "professionals" almost like doctors or priests, with a moral "calling" to ferret out the truth?

What happened is: Media consolidation. The number of overall owners have shrunk dramatically over the last decade and a half or so, with the result that every channel is a corporate propaganda machine for a massive company. Anything in the "news" that might damage the stock prices of these massive companies or scare away advertisers is simply not aired.

Fortunately we have the Internet...for now at least.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I've complained non-stop about CNN for years. They have glossy-tabloided their whole production into ADD news; bouncing around, reporting on nonsense, never getting to the "truth" (aka facts or references). It's all just garbled sound bites mixed in with flashy graphics...there's no "soul" to it.

The day FOX, CNN, and MSNBC go off the air will be a blessing to us all. (No I know it won't happen) instead they'll keep poking and prodding us in their own idealist direction with odd news, hot women, and smart a-- commentary. I finally turned all off 3 years ago including their offshoots, and I've learned so much more through Google News than I ever did.

Stewart has been a blessing...I'm literally in step with the crap he's sick of. Thank God for Comedy Central, the only place I can seem to get a straight story (ironic).

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Atomic

Good post.

Ever notice how every day on the news seems to be like Superbowl Sunday? You have all these "swoooshing" and "booming" noises, spinning multiple screens, scrolling tables, stirring tunes, etc. Compare this to a news show from, say, the 50s or 60s, where two guys in ties would sit down and have a 1/2-hour-long conversation in slow, measured tones about important issues.

I think the MSM underestimates the intelligence and attention span of the public. They think we are no longer able to "handle" that kind of show. Perhaps, sickly enough, they are right, but there are still lots of intelligent people out there who don't need to be treated as ADD-riddled basket-cases who can only think in visual images...as this thread proves.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Sacrifice one aspect to strengthen another totalitarian view, they're evolving. Make the skeptics and "rebels" agree with you on one segment, basically feigning truth as a sacrifice in order to gain support for a much more authoritarian issue at hand.

Whoa, i think you went a little off the deep end there. I don't know anybody who turns to Stewart for actual news. He makes fun of the media and politicians, his show is not meant to be hard hitting nor is it a mouthpiece for resistance movements. It's ironic political entertainment. I highly doubt any of us watching who are already against mandatory vaccines, changed our minds because we laughed at the jokes. The show does a pretty good job of targeting all politicians, but it's obvious to anybody with a brain the show leans left since he does more often grill his republican guests. It's still mainstream, so it's pretty unrealistic to expect to see him seriously call out the official stance on an impending "crisis".

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

That was great, until they had the Department of Homeland Security on the show to discuss why they need to "execute" conspiracy theories.

This is a staple of the Daily Show. It's a new way of slinging propaganda and disinformation. Basically, how it works is they devote a segment of the show to slam a certain aspect of the US or government, such as the media which is the typical scapegoat. Thus warming the hearts of all those people who are wary of the government and media for the sole purpose of easing the shock value of their next segment; which in this case was a rather overt statement that people should not have "conspiracy theories".

Sacrifice one aspect to strengthen another totalitarian view, they're evolving. Make the skeptics and "rebels" agree with you on one segment, basically feigning truth as a sacrifice in order to gain support for a much more authoritarian issue at hand.

People are being conned into thinking that Jon Stewart (among others) is a "truth seeker".

[edit on 13-10-2009 by SyphonX]

I couldn't have said it better. I have been thinking this ever since I was 'awake' and watched "The Daily Show" or "The Colbert Report." I think "The Colbert Report" is funny, but it's even worse when it comes to this crap compared to "The Daily Show." Everyone should cancel their cable and keep the internet only. You can get everything you can from the television on the internet anyway, including all your favorite TV shows...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
there is an ad for the daily show here in australia that says "more americans get their news from jon stewart than from any other source". the ad's meant as a joke but it's becoming scarily clear that this is very close to the reality of the situation.

hopefully as things progress (regress?), mr stewart will remain a beacon of reason and intellect and prevail against the bull of the mass media machine.

peace.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I also was disappointed with the Janet of DHS interview in that episode...as I watched, I wondered if he was following the "rules" while doing his shtick in order to keep his job, or, he being a mainstream celebrity, was really naive about certain important questions left unanswered.

I still really liked how he ripped on the 911 hearings!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Its on foxtel at 6.30 esdt comedy channel,its the only reason I have it.Him and Colbert are the on.I thought how uncomtable Janet Reno looked when he asked her is there anything else in the flu shot was priceless

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by davo2012

Sadly the reason he is so funny is that he is actually telling the truth. At least being honest about what is going on. It's sad how screwed up the American system of politics has become, instead of working for the people, these politicians are working for special interest groups, and against each other.

What makes it worse is that these special interest groups pay off both sides of the issue. Playing some sick twisted game of politics that has our government more interested in appealing to these groups than what is really in the best interest of their constituents.

Then when re election comes around these same politicians who have received all this money from lobby groups tells the public how tirelessly they work for them. People buy this and vote either for their party lines, or for whatever idiot is more convincing at lying.

When it's a choice of the lesser of the two evils, that is no choice at all.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moreonethananyone
reply to post by Solomons

I thought how uncomtable Janet Reno looked when he asked her is there anything else in the flu shot was priceless

It's interesting if you watch her because her smile slips as he is asking about the vaccine and she slaps her game-face back on quickly to answer the question. Also her body language with the tapping of her fingers indicating she wants the conversation to stop in that direction or wants to leave. She sloppily tries to sidestep the question about harmful additives by saying that the process for making the vaccine is pretty much the same. Well, the process for mixing '___' is probably about the same as mixing Powerade with the exception of a few chemicals...

As was pointed out, it's important to realize that the purpose of Jon's show isn't to ask the hard-hitting questions that other shows should be, so his outcomes should be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, it furthers his ability to create comedy to see people come on in all seriousness with their propaganda and expect to be taken so seriously. I think we get the best of both worlds with his show.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Brilliant - just brilliant.
Now this is a man after the hearts of the awake.

Hell he was on in 04 and who did we "elect"?

I am nominating Mikey Mouse next go, can already image the debate with Palin.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
First part: AMAZING.

Interview...

Ummm... makes me not wanna watch the daily show

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
the honestly say "we're gonna hafta leave that that there" like it's a damn stray dog or something.

He's so goddamn awesome. If I ever met him, I would squeal a bit

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Whoa, i think you went a little off the deep end there. I don't know anybody who turns to Stewart for actual news. He makes fun of the media and politicians, his show is not meant to be hard hitting nor is it a mouthpiece for resistance movements. It's ironic political entertainment. I highly doubt any of us watching who are already against mandatory vaccines, changed our minds because we laughed at the jokes. The show does a pretty good job of targeting all politicians, but it's obvious to anybody with a brain the show leans left since he does more often grill his republican guests. It's still mainstream, so it's pretty unrealistic to expect to see him seriously call out the official stance on an impending "crisis".

No no, I wasn't saying that. They are trying to get as much flash and support for the "anti-movement" as they can. They pull them in by attacking a scapegoat and then lay on something heavy immediately after. Merely softening the blow..

I understand the audience isn't for a resistance movement.

Edit: Some errors.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by SyphonX]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The episode as it aired on Tuesday in the UK is available to non-US viewers for 5 days here: www.channel4.com...

He's witty, engaging and spot-on in his criticism of the mainstream news media's lapdog persona, but in the segment with the secretary of homeland security, he asks "What do you do with the crazies?" Just remember - if you suspect your government does not have your best interests at heart - you are crazy.

It's a crowd pleasing limited hangout.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by EvilAxis]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I have to disagree with the people defending Stewart concerning his interview with Napolitano. Of course the show is on Comedy Central, but if you think you don't have to ask serious questions and don't want it to be more than a comedy show you probably should not invite the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. If you don't have any real issues to discuss with a person in such an important position, invite Dennis Leary or some other actor instead.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by iNTERPLANETARyR.O.M.E.O.
the department of homeland security interview is the kicker, because he FAILS TO ASK any hard hitting questions. heres what im talking about, paraphrased.

jon: is the vaccine safe?

DHS lady: yes.

what should have come next is a question urging her to back up her statements, and there was none. so jon will just have to "leave it there".

good for a laugh, but i'll never trust you again stewart.

I think the main difference here is that the daily show IS a show designed for entertainment. He is a comedian, not a journalist. A comedian who is calling out the journalists to do THEIR jobs. He is not required to ask tough questions, he is a comedian.

MSM is supposed to be a journalistic entity, designed to ask the tough questions and not settle for fluff. But the irony is, that The Daily Show comes across with more journalistic integrity than most of the MSM.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
the honestly say "we're gonna hafta leave that that there" like it's a damn stray dog or something.

He's so goddamn awesome. If I ever met him, I would squeal a bit

piddles,

Don't confuse what you see of the man on TV with who or what he is.

He has a great production team and writing staff (both of which he is part of) and they know precisely what irreverence sells and is in demand.

That does not make him any more of a leader of free-thinking than any other celebrity product we worship via advertiser dollars.

Sadly, some people DO think of JS's show as 'newsworthy' if only for its stark contrast against the public relations tripe we are presented with by the Madison avenue crew's marketeers.

Be entertained, be very entertained.....

....kind of rings 'familiar', no?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

That was great, until they had the Department of Homeland Security on the show to discuss why they need to "execute" conspiracy theories.

This is a staple of the Daily Show. It's a new way of slinging propaganda and disinformation. Basically, how it works is they devote a segment of the show to slam a certain aspect of the US or government, such as the media which is the typical scapegoat. Thus warming the hearts of all those people who are wary of the government and media for the sole purpose of easing the shock value of their next segment; which in this case was a rather overt statement that people should not have "conspiracy theories".

People are being conned into thinking that Jon Stewart (among others) is a "truth seeker".

[edit on 13-10-2009 by SyphonX]

100% correct there.

The Daily Show used to be good, until they sold out and TPTB took over and started slipping all of their misleading bs in.

The Colbert Report went down the same path as well.

Sad because they were truly funny shows that actually spoke more truth than regular news did.

Now they are sneaking in lies and disinfo just like the others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join