It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. to Debate Israeli, Palestinian War Crimes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

GENEVA – The U.N. Human Rights Council will reopen the debate about alleged war crimes in Gaza later this week after Palestinians succeeded in gathering enough support to call a special meeting, officials said Tuesday.

The debate will start Thursday, a day after the U.N. Security Council in New York discusses the Goldstone report, which accuses Israeli forces and Palestinian militants of war crimes and possible crimes against humanity during their Dec. 27-Jan. 18 war.

Israel has rejected the report, claiming the investigators led by former South African judge Richard Goldstone were biased against the Jewish state and misled by Palestinian propaganda.

U.N. officials say 18 of the council's 47 members signed a motion calling for the debate. The backers are: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, China, Cuba, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Indonesia, Jordan, Mauritius, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Senegal.

I'm certainly no expert, but with the exception of the Saudis, who must have a hard time sitting down with US .s so far up their butts, this list reads like a short list of countries the US needs to invade anyway.

Ibrahim Khraishi, the Palestinian Authority's U.N. ambassador in Geneva, said the two-day debate would examine the report as well as recent incidents of violence in Jerusalem.

It will be the sixth time that Israel has been the subject of a special session by the Geneva-based council. Each previous session has resulted in a resolution critical of Israel.

SIX TIMES a special session, SIX TIMES Israel getting 'criticized' by the international community. Six times Israel told to 'play nice?'

"We'll wait to take a stance on the debate itself once it begins," Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor said. "We still think that this report is very dangerous and is disconnected from reality. This report was based almost exclusively on Hamas propaganda."

The 575-page report concluded that Israel used disproportionate force and failed to protect civilians during its incursion into Gaza to root out Palestinian rocket squads.
The report also accused Palestinian armed groups of possible war crimes, including firing rockets into civilian areas in Israel. Hamas, the Palestinian Authority's main rival, controls Gaza.

Thirteen Israelis and almost 1,400 Palestinians were killed during the conflict.
The decision to call for a special meeting of the council marks a turnaround for the Palestinians. Under heavy U.S. pressure, Palestinian diplomats two weeks ago had asked for debate on the report to be delayed until March, resulting in protests at home.

Despite angry Israeli reaction and U.S. criticism, the Goldstone report has been widely praised by human rights groups such as Amnesty International and supported by countries in Europe and elsewhere.

So, Israel gets called on the carpet, the Palestinians too, so don't think this is one sided, but then the US and Israel are 'ANGRY' that they are having a finger shaken at them?

I'm glad to see this. I think it's long overdue that the US and Israel should start abiding by the same rules they cram down everyone else's throats. Not that this will happen, but I'm glad to see that the useless UN will at least debate it.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 13-10-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

This is such a divisive issue man. I don't know. I do know that little piece of real estate we call Jerusalem plays a big part in a lot of things to come. It always has. I can only sit back and watch and of course pray for peace.

Zechariah 12:3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This whole thing reminds me of the Turkey situation, regarding recognition of the ethnic cleansing the Ottoman Turks perpetrated against Armenia. The US still hasn't officially acknowledged that it happened; it's like not officially recognizing the Holocaust. It's beyond historical doubt, yet we give the Turks a pass because our supply lines run through Incirlik. They bomb the crap out of the Kurds in N. Iraq on a regular basis, and we get out the way.

The difference of course is that Isreal and Palestine are in conflict NOW!
Just looking at the death tolls should tell you something's not right:

Thirteen Israelis and almost 1,400 Palestinians were killed during the conflict.

Politics in action.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I did a lot of reading today about Israel, because I'm really pretty ignorant about the whole mid-east thing. There really does seem to be a lot of bad blood right now between the UN and Israel and it would also seem that Israel is not too happy with the US administration right now either...they almost seem to be circling their own wagons.

It reminds me of that cool chick in high school...she's real popular and everyone wants to hang out with her, but she turns out to be just mean...and superficial...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I know you ignored it, but "BOTH" sides are charged.

But to present this would go against the OP"S anti-Jewish stance.

Gazan's are charged with launching rockets and mortars from schools, playgrounds, civilian homes in the hopes that "COUNTER" attacks injure civilians.

Denying ignorance involves presenting both sides, something not always done in posts.

new topics

top topics

join