It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Van Gogh's letters now online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I don't know where to put this, it's not a "conspiracy" item, but I think it would be interesting for many people to read (it was to me!
).
Anyway, all of Vincent Van Gogh's letters, more than 900 of them, are now available online.

Read about it here or visit the museum site directly (link included in the article).

Van Gogh reveals all

(P.S. Oh, I got the "conspiracy" angle to justify its inclusion here: he is presented as this raving mad artist, and he was not. Or maybe just a little. There: a Hollywood conspiracy - exposed!
)

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

Letters to his brother "Theo", his parents must have wanted their kids to be preachers?

There is definately a conspiracy surrounding the ear thing, Gaudin and a whore named Rachel.

neatorama.cachefly.net...

A more detailed German account of the ncident.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 13-10-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

[edit on 13-10-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

Letters to his brother "Theo", his parents must have wanted their kids to be preachers?

There is definately a conspiracy surrounding the ear thing, Gaudin and a whore named Rachel.

neatorama.cachefly.net...

They were successful too: Vince was a preacher originally.

And the ear was actually just the lobe, so... forget Gauguin - I blame Kirk Douglas!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Thanks for posting these!!! I have always loved Van Gogh and have many replicas hanging in my house. I even like the Van Gogh Vodka bottles with some of his paintings inside the bottle as decoration...

I will have to read these letters in a bit, after some coffee.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

There are 900 of them - you're gonna need a big jug of coffee to keep you going...

Glad you like Vincent!
I always liked him myself. And the letters to his brother are so touching. I especially like some of his last letters - I think it is *the* last one (I would have to check, haven't read them in a long time) - where he speaks of a dream he had revealing all these glorious colors in the sky... And some say you can actually read it as a premonition of his own death.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

BTW that's a really good article! Thanks!

(There goes another legend....
)

EDIT (nothing to do with your post, but wouldn't like to just keep adding needless new posts):

I was just reading a letter he wrote exactly 121 years, to the day, before the gala opening of his exhibition in Amsterdam, attended by the Queen and other dignitaries. And it's difficult to imagine a greater discrepancy....

Here's how it starts:

Arles, Tuesday, 9 or Wednesday, 10 October 1888

My dear Theo,

Yesterday I sent you a telegram to ask you for another twenty francs. That’s all I’ll have to feed myself for the whole week, but at least I have my frames and a few stretching frames.

The rest is here:

www.vangoghletters.org...

But I think he would have been shocked (not in a good way) that his works - or anyone's works - are now sold for tens and even hundreds of millions of dollars. I think he would have seen through the perversity of the art market.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Hey, I myself have my interests on Van Gogh
S&F.

new topics

top topics

join