It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinian memo says hopes in Obama 'evaporated'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

JERUSALEM (AP) - An internal document circulated among members of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' political party says any hopes in the Obama administration "have evaporated."
The Fatah Party document accuses the U.S. of backing off from its demands that Israel freeze settlement construction and failing to set a clear agenda for new Mideast peace talks.

The memorandum was obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday. It wasn't immediately clear whether the memo reflects Abbas' views or was intended to pressure President Barack Obama to bear down harder on Israel.

The document says the Palestinians have lost hope in Obama, and accuses the American leader of caving in to pressure from pro-Israel lobbyists in Washington.

Source
www.breitbart.com...

I guess hope and change doesn't extent to the Middle East.

mods, please forgive if I didn't instantly place this in political madness. I realize that's where about ALL my posts are, I will correct in the future.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Obama asks both sides for compromise, sacrifice and concessions. These are concepts that are utterly alien to the Palestinian leadership, who prefer slogans and ultimatums. No wonder they don't have faith in him.

The other problem is there are two definitions of "peace" at play.

For the Israelis, peace means an end to the incitement, hatred, rockets, riots, theft and destruction of their property.

For the Palestinian "leadership", peace means an end to Israel's existence. The more Palestinians suffer in the meantime, the better for their cause.

I don't think Obama realised what he was getting himself into.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattpryor
Obama asks both sides for compromise, sacrifice and concessions. These are concepts that are utterly alien to the Palestinian leadership, who prefer slogans and ultimatums. No wonder they don't have faith in him.

The other problem is there are two definitions of "peace" at play.

For the Israelis, peace means an end to the incitement, hatred, rockets, riots, theft and destruction of their property.

For the Palestinian "leadership", peace means an end to Israel's existence. The more Palestinians suffer in the meantime, the better for their cause.

I don't think Obama realised what he was getting himself into.

You have put it better than I could. Hence the quoting. Thanks for your reply.

new topics

join