It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything has become illegal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
U.S.A. has the highest incarceration rate in the world

It's counter-intuitive.

You think it would be a totalitarian country instead. (Are there any of those left?)

Maybe in some of the poorer 2nd and 3rd world nations they just shoot criminals or disappear them instead of giving them 4 walls, a bed, 3 meals a day and free healthcare.

Is there an organized effort underway to make everything illegal and incarcerate as many Americans as possible?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

It is certainly a problem. Here in NZ, we are running out of jail space - we have a small population - what does that tell you?

I have to say that our Maori and Pacific Islanders, although a small percentage of the population, makes up most of our prison population.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
We actually lock up criminals- after 3 or 4 chances, unlike other countries. China just kills their criminals en-masse, and Europeans don't seem to believe in enforcing laws or sentences. Most of S. America is run by criminals, so they don't lock each other up. Most of Africa is pretty much lawless. I imagine Russia has similar numbers to the US.

It is actually hard to get locked up in the US. Most people are given fines and probation, time and time again- unless they commit major felonies.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

In some countries they put the real criminals in jail instead of letting them run for public office.

But for real... They don't jail you for minor offences like white and blue collar crime. Not like the good old USA who jails the poor and middle class for being poor and middle class.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

OK, 3 counts and you're out - I agree with that.

But in some cases once is more than enough. If you murder someone, that's it, and if you abuse someone, that's it.

No-one has the right to wreck someone else's life.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Really? Can you cite some examples of people being jailed in the US for being poor or middle class?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

We actually lock up criminals- after 3 or 4 chances, unlike other countries.

You have to be joking... right?
Guys have been sent to prison first offence for being to poor to pay child support.

I imagine Russia has similar numbers to the US.

And then you woke up? If you'd looked at the map provided instead of jumping in to throw out unfounded garbage you'd see Russia's numbers aren't even close!

It is actually hard to get locked up in the US. Most people are given fines and probation, time and time again- unless they commit major felonies.

That's the problem...In the US they've made a vast majority of blue and white collar crimes a felony.

S&F for the Op

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Like there is a Military Industrial Complex there has more recently evolved an incarceration industrial complex that continues to help privatize law enforcement and justice.
On top of this, Gerald Celente said the government will start fining people to madness. It's all a racket.- I got two tickets for expired tabs. My question is why do I need to even pay for tabs much less tickets for not having them? It's indentured servitude. I didnt have the money for tabs and so you give me a late fee, and fine me for it.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
3 strikes by the way is a life term = 25 years. 3 strikes doesn't mean you get 3 chances and then you go to jail.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

You have examples of people going to prison for failing to pay child support for a 1st offense?

There was no link for the data on the map. Here's a link- seems pretty close to me.

link

Prison Population Rates per 100,000 of the national population

1 United States of America 751
2 Russian Federation 632

Most of what 'blue and white collar' crimes are felonies?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Really? Can you cite some examples of people being jailed in the US for being poor or middle class?

Taxes!
second line - need I say more?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah

... the government will start fining people to madness.

Penalties, fees, fines and taxes.

I'm already pretty mad.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

He asked if you can cite some cases not the reason.

If the middle class went to prison for taxes then why did my parents not go to jail when they found out they owed 64,000 in back taxes?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Most of Obama's staff didn't pay their taxes. Were they sent to jail? Poor people don't pay federal taxes, and middle class people who owe back taxes are simply given more time to pay them, or work out a payment plan.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Fines, court costs, attorney fees, having to pay for your time in jail, traffic cameras, mandatory classes, mandatory counseling, work details, community service, etc.. The entire US judicial system has become a source of profit for local and state governments. It become nothing more then a new set of taxes to place on the general population.

I had a friend who was charged with reckless driving, we figured out how much the state made off of him, and it was quite a nice little profit. By the time he was done he had paid for his time in jail, the food they gave him during his few hours there, having his car impounded, his attorney, court costs, a fine, a state appointed counseling appointment, a DMV appointed class, a temp work license, a restricted license, a new license, DMV court cost (a separate court besides real court), and more that I cannot even think of at the moment. Thousands of dollars went into the states pocket, and the worst part was the officer lied, which was attested to by his own dash-cam, but the state would not let the case drop because it would have then COST them money.

So they threaten folks, make them jump through a bunch of inconvenient hurdles, and run up a HUGE legal tab, then finally offer them a plea after the person is either too broke, to scared, or to tired of the BS to fight for their innocence. That way they win, even if they had no case to begin with. See once the officer arrests you, the state begins spending money out of its pocket that it plans on getting back, if you somehow can afford to stay the course and beat them, they are out a vast sum of money, and its all the about the $$ anymore.

Heck our Governor down here has told the individual cities that they cannot install red light cams, but the cities have made ordinances to by-pass the fact that they are not really legal. Here in my town they have even gone so far as to add right hand turn lights to the intersections with the cameras because too many people were getting away with no fine for making legal right on red turns. They showed the profit made by my city on one such light to be in the millions in the several months since it has been installed.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Actually their are no debtor prisons in the US. Tax Fraud on the other hand is a jail offense. I have not filed in years got audited and just received my reply today from Tax Court to my request for a trial date. Have not opened it yet. Waiting til tomorrow.

Doing research on the law that allows US Tax Courts to allow no jury trials. Judges are appointed by the President and my court request is MPLS.

Still a little freaked out. Will be having a couple of glasses of wine tomorrow before opening it.

As for the OP-S&F. Our country has 1.5% of its citizens in jail. 250,000 of the 300k laws in this country are directly unconstitutional. Did you hear that, 300k laws. Kind of makes the ignorance of the law is no excuse ploy, bull#.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

The entire US judicial system has become a source of profit for local and state governments. It become nothing more then a new set of taxes to place on the general population.

Big brother is capitalizing off the people and all the little brothers are doing the same. It's a race by all the local city and county munipipalities and state governments to collect as much cash as they can as fast as they can.

I have more government agencies watching me than I can count.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Why not just obey the laws, and avoid having to pay fines, or serve time in jail?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Dumb laws and ridiculously long sentences. Imprisonment for victimless crimes like the use of non-addictive drugs. Treating sick people as criminals, instead of giving them the treatment they need (drug addicts, the mentally ill).

You don't go to jail for nonpayment of taxes. You wind up paying the taxes, with interest, penalties, and other add-ons.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

That would be fine, but they change the law with no notice, or they add ordinances that differ from town to town, and city to city. Do you know all the laws in all the towns, townships, and cities that surround where you live? I doubt it..

Let me give you an example about the red light camera I mentioned above. I noticed it for the first time one night when the strobe light went off as it took a picture of my car. I pulled into the CVS on the corner there, and asked them what it was, which they told me. So I got back into my car, pulled out into the same intersection to make a left hand turn, stopped at the light, and flash... It took my picture again!!!!

Now this was the middle of the night, I was the only car in the intersection both times, and neither time had I run the light. So I got home, called the police station to tell them what happened, and that their friggen camera was broken. I was basically told that it had taken my picture because I was inches over the white line, even though I had not crossed the line of prolongation into the intersection. Well you have to cross the line of prolongation to have officially entered the intersection, but the cameras were set up to enforce an ordinance, not a traffic law, which very few who go through that intersection know about.

The ordinance states that you can be ticketed for being over the cross walk. Now I don't know about you, but when I am making a right on red, I tend to lean into the intersection so I can see around the cars next to me and look down the lane I am about to enter. So they have now added a second set of lights there so you have to stop behind the white line, then you can start to lean out into the intersection to make your turn. Its all just a BS money scam, none of it complies with this states motor vehicle code. Besides this, a police officer is required to witness a misdemeanor or traffic citation in person for the tickets to even be valid, which is the main reason the governor told them they could not use them because that IS a valid state law.

Now my friend was cited for reckless driving, after the officer stated that he had followed him for miles, and he was driving so erratically that he thought he was having a medical issue. When the dash cam was reviewed, the officer had actually followed him for 2 blocks, and during that time he had touched the white line once when he was reaching for his phone.

See its not about following the law anymore like it used to be, they will try and get you on anything they can, and once they have you, start kissing your money goodbye.

[edit on 10/13/2009 by defcon5]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join