It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Fighter Jet Crosses Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - A North Korean fighter jet briefly crossed the western sea border with South Korea on Thursday, and a South anti-aircraft missile unit went into battle position, a South Korean military official said.

The North Korean jet retreated without incident after two South Korea fighter jets went to the area, said Major Lee Dong-chan, a spokesman for the South Korean air force.
apnews.excite.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
A Chinese Jianjiji-6 ( MIG-19 ) fighter, just goes to show how cash strapped the NK's are if there still flying this piece of junk. 1950's technology against today's is just no comparison, I almost feel sorry for the poor NK pilots. No doubt they sent a cheap MIG-19 just in case it was shot down.

Jianjiji-6 ( MIG-19 ) Fighter

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
the n. koreans were most likely testing the response capibilities of the south. the mig was definately, as stated, sent in as a sacrificial POS if it were engaged. they wouldn't send in a better plane if they have one. i doubt this will be the last of this type of event.

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix_cross
the n. koreans were most likely testing the response capibilities of the south. the mig was definately, as stated, sent in as a sacrificial POS if it were engaged. they wouldn't send in a better plane if they have one. i doubt this will be the last of this type of event.

Most definately phoenix, it was definately to test air defences as well as to remind the South Koreans that they could be attacked at any time.
Or maybe it was to divert attention from something more sinister, such as one of NK's renowned special forces/terrorist operations.

NK Special Forces

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think they are most likely probing.Trying to see what they can get away with.And if the jet had been shot down you know they(NK) would be screaming American aggression.

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
it wouldn't have been the smartest thing to blast it. definate retaliation. the thing is what kind of tests of s. koreas military will they do in the future? what will happen if they actually DO blast one of the planes out of the sky? n. koreas retalition will be swift and deadly no doubt.

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   
And yet we have troops in Iraq?

What about Korea?

XAOS

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xaos
And yet we have troops in Iraq?

What about Korea?

XAOS

I believe there is are 37000 US troops stationed in South Korea, comprising a significant tactical air component. Not to mention the 600 000 man South Korean Army, which is at least a generation ahead of the North, probably closer to 2-3 generations. So the SK's are no slouches when it comes down to defending themselves from a conventional cross boarder attack/invasion. They would be most capable of offensive operations into the North if it came down to it. They would need US help of course.

posted on Feb, 20 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i think the 600,000 + ground troops is the reason the Rumsfeild said we can fight a war on 2 fronts. If the Sk army is so much more advanced then why are we worryin bout NK. All they could do is nuke em which would be a big mistake beacuse we would make NK a gaint parkin lot for american troops.

posted on Feb, 21 2003 @ 03:40 AM
link   
You would think with all the tention in the Penisular, you would control you fighter jets.
That is an act of provocation and the South could on a tecnicality start war.
]

posted on Feb, 21 2003 @ 03:47 AM
link   
There has been tension on the Korean Peninsula since the 1953 armistice ( note: they are technically still at war, this has just been a 50 year long cease fire ).
NK has regularly conducted attacks in thr South with her SOF's, as well as terrorist acts abroad. So while this recent incursion has made the news, you can be damn sure it's happened many times before and gone unreported to the public.

NK Special Forces and state terrorism

top topics

join