It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Only 25 -30% of the U.S. population actually works

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The population of the US is roughly 300 Million

100 Million are under the age of 15 or over the age of 65 (Ref: www.census.gov... )

Only 66% of the people between the ages of 15 - 65 are actually employed
(Figured by taking the 2003 employment rate of 71% ref: en.wikipedia.org... subtracting the 5% unemployment rate in 2003 and adding 5% to todays unemployment rate)

So we take 200 million and multiply it by 66% employment rate to arrive at 132 million / 300 million = 44%

What counts as employed?

From my own observations I would say that an estimate of 44% employment is too high. I would say that the number of people actually working in real jobs that pay a living wage these days is closer to 25% - 30%.

Very few people actually do any work from what I see. Most seem to be receiving money from welfare, disability, unemployment, military or government pensions, structured settlements, or are living off of investments, inheiritance, federal reserve money, business income, investment income, borrowed money or are incarcerated in the prison system.

What a wonderful world it is when only 25% of the population are able to feed the other 75%.

And the game seems to be for the 75% who do no work or directly work for the system itself to game the system to perpetuate itself into eternitity.

People who work for a living are stupid?


[edit on 12-10-2009 by In nothing we trust]




posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Yeah, sort of!

I did the math when I was 17 and nearly had a heart attack! Being unskilled and uneducated, I realized my chances of being able to pay bills with a regular 40 hour work week was nil. I said screw it.

Fortunately, I am privileged to a base allowance from the parents. This only amounts to ~3% of their collective salaries, so I'm actually okay with it. I'm just below the poverty line, so don't bother paying taxes and funding black holes, and the black-ops budget. Bills paid, $20 a day, and a bike to ride gets me by.

I opted out early, seeing the apparent insanity that is our society. When things become somewhat sane (if ever?!) I will pay my dues. I do so now in a different way. I'm more relaxed than most, probably from not working, so I do my best to expand this calmness to others, and put a smile on their face as often as possible.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A couple more to ponder:

Estimated 5 million on full Government Welfare and an additional 9.5 million receive disability benefits from social security (I know a few people on disability, my cousin who had a couple of seizures in her teens and can't work "cough" and a bunch of people with back problems who somehow can't work at a desk.) So add another almost 15 million to the non-working category.

www.npr.org...


Also, we have "Government" workers who's pay comes from the "other" taxpayers. This looks to be roughly about 20 million.


www.data360.org...





[edit on 12-10-2009 by infolurker]



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   







posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I did the math when I was 17 and nearly had a heart attack! Being unskilled and uneducated, I realized my chances of being able to pay bills with a regular 40 hour work week was nil. I said screw it.


That's why they let illegal aliens into the country to do the work that Americans didn't want to do or were smart enough not to do.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions
 


I too, currently get by with the help of my parents but not by choice. I live in a cheaper economy so I only need around 34 hours a week to pay all my bills...

I had a job at McDondalds but I was fired. I did not think it was possible to be fired from such an easy job but but the summer months have ended and I am not a local so I get to go.

Now I am struggling again and I am desperate for a JOB.

But jobs are scarce where I live...hence the low cost of living...

I plan to move back to Texas for winter....get a job ,save some cash, and try to make a go of this place of mine in the woods again after I have a larger nest egg set up.....

That or any survivalist here may buy my 11 acres in the woods... No prob. Gimmie 50K and its yours!

Otherwise I have to keep it and figure out how to keep the bank from taking it...

Such is unemployed life.... My bills are stacking up... the help of my parents is not infinite nor does it fill me with pride to beg a hundred here and a hundred there to get by...

Lord knows... I need to figure out how to maintain my own business!


EDIT TO ADD THIS:
Living here in the woods I applied for Welfare for the first time in my LIFE!

I was turned down on the basis of my having a criminal history. I went to the employment office. Only folks with years of experience are wanted for specific technical jobs. After being Fired I filed for unemployment. I was turned down because I was not employed at the right times the year previous. ....

Political madness indeed this Government sucks! The first time in my life a sallow my pride and apply for federal assistance and I get none.

HIRE ME!




[edit on 12-10-2009 by titorite]



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
The population of the US is roughly 300 Million

100 Million are under the age of 15 or over the age of 65 (Ref: www.census.gov... )

Only 66% of the people between the ages of 15 - 65 are actually employed
(Figured by taking the 2003 employment rate of 71% ref: en.wikipedia.org... subtracting the 5% unemployment rate in 2003 and adding 5% to todays unemployment rate)

So we take 200 million and multiply it by 66% employment rate to arrive at 132 million / 300 million = 44%

What counts as employed?

From my own observations I would say that an estimate of 44% employment is too high. I would say that the number of people actually working in real jobs that pay a living wage these days is closer to 25% - 30%.

Very few people actually do any work from what I see. Most seem to be receiving money from disability, unemployment, military or government pensions, structured settlements, or are living off of investments, inheiritance, federal reserve money, business income, investment income or borrowed money.

What a wonderful world it is when only 25% of the population are able to feed the other 75%.

And the game seems to be for the 75% who do no work or directly work for the system itself to game the system to perpetuate itself into eternitity.

People who work for a living are stupid?


[edit on 12-10-2009 by In nothing we trust]


Well you have to take into consideration those of us with wives that drive us out of our minds. We would work for free if it came to it...



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
A couple more to ponder:

Estimated 5 million on full Government Welfare and an additional 9.5 million receive disability benefits from social security ...

Also, we have "Government" workers who's pay comes from the "other" taxpayers. This looks to be roughly about 20 million.


I counted social security disabled non-workers as disabled, but I added welfare reciepients to the list. Forgot about them.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The post is a bit biased. Most of the people who aren't working are our loved ones - children, spouses, parents. They're not working for various reasons. They're in school, they're taking care of the kids, they've retired after a lifetime of hard work. They're not supposed to be working.

Most of the unemployed would rather be working. Most of the disabled would rather not be disabled. Yes, some cheats get disability who don't deserve it. Some people who work also collect welfare. But most desperately need the pittance they receive.

People who collect unemployment paid into the system. True, the employers write the checks, but that money comes out of what the employee might otherwise have been paid. Also, unemployment runs out. Work fifty years, get up to a year of unemployment benefits.

I am currently unemployed, have been for over a year. My benefits ran out in July. I used up my life savings. I have zero money to my name, no assets to speak of. I am well and truly screwed. I have simply not been able to find a job, either in my own field, or doing anything else. Over the past 15 months, I've sent out over 500 resumes and applications. At the moment, I'm trying my hand at being a street musician. So far, that hasn't been profitable.

So basically, I'm facing homelessness. At best I can get into a shelter and collect welfare. I couldn't pay my rent this month. When my landlord gets tired of not getting the rent, he'll evict me. Then men with guns will come and take all my belongings and put them out in the street. They will escort me out of here, and I'll be homeless. You think I wouldn't rather be working? I would gladly be among the 25%, paying my taxes to feed and house the other 75%. Fine with me. Work is good. Idleness is not good.

You seem to think that people on welfare or disability have it easy. Nothing could be further from the truth. They get nothing. It's shameful how little they get, not enough to eat, not enough to pay the rent. They live in abject poverty, which tends to keep them from finding work. They can't get together enough money for a phone. How can they apply for a job, if they have no way to be contacted? What states should do is at least put healthy people on "workfare", where they do some sort of job for the welfare benefits they receive. It would help them emotionally, and it would help us get some of those little, less-important tasks done. It might make it easier for them to get off welfare. Everybody wins.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613
 


States already have workfare. The welfare recipients are required to work 30 hours a week for their benefits either through a job or via state approved volunteer work. I was unable to find a job, thus I was in the state program. Basically we had seminars telling us how worthless we are because we had no jobs. Well, if someone had given me a job then I would've had one. It sure wasn't through lack of trying. Many single mothers do not have people to help watch their children to even go look for a job. Potential employers frown upon single mother job seekers who show for job applications and interviews with a child in tow.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust
 


I wonder, after all with the high unemployment, the government gouging the tax payer and no American dream in site, I feel sometimes that working in this nation is becoming a burden rather than a means to improve ourselves because our own policies against tax payer drive the work force into nothing but a slave state.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Worthless kids, I knew it! Only fine Americans like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are paying the taxes and this proves it!



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Honestly, I'm on disability myself, I had to go on when i was 19 after a nervous breakdown from working to hard to try and help my parents pay bills after my step dad got hit with a bus. from the age of 16 when i graduated high school, i worked nearly 60-75 hours a week every week, on year 3, Because I was such an "Exception employee" they offered me unlimited OT, i took it, and because i was working for nearly 15 hours a day for 2 week straight, i just snapped. Honestly, the paper chase is just that a chase, when you get it, you might as well not even have it because its worthless to begin with.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
People who work for a living are stupid?




Lets not forget all those good paying jobs
that have been funneled out of the country in search of
higher corporate earnings from cheaper labor abroad.






posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69
 


Believe it or not we are starting to see more homeless asking for jobs in our neck of the woods, they are signs of times.

In a nation that used to be call the wealthiest nation in the word.

But now we are a nation that doesn't belong to the American people anymore and most of our wealth builders are oversea.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

... I feel sometimes that working in this nation is becoming a burden rather than a means to improve ourselves ...



Working to support the state and it's mile long list of deadbeats is an oppressive burden on the few americans that do work.



[edit on 13-10-2009 by In nothing we trust]



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
The post is a bit biased. Most of the people who aren't working are our loved ones - children, spouses, parents. They're not working for various reasons. They're in school, they're taking care of the kids, they've retired after a lifetime of hard work. They're not supposed to be working.

Most of the unemployed would rather be working. Most of the disabled would rather not be disabled. Yes, some cheats get disability who don't deserve it. Some people who work also collect welfare. But most desperately need the pittance they receive.

People who collect unemployment paid into the system. True, the employers write the checks, but that money comes out of what the employee might otherwise have been paid. Also, unemployment runs out. Work fifty years, get up to a year of unemployment benefits.

I am currently unemployed, have been for over a year. My benefits ran out in July. I used up my life savings. I have zero money to my name, no assets to speak of. I am well and truly screwed. I have simply not been able to find a job, either in my own field, or doing anything else. Over the past 15 months, I've sent out over 500 resumes and applications. At the moment, I'm trying my hand at being a street musician. So far, that hasn't been profitable.

So basically, I'm facing homelessness. At best I can get into a shelter and collect welfare. I couldn't pay my rent this month. When my landlord gets tired of not getting the rent, he'll evict me. Then men with guns will come and take all my belongings and put them out in the street. They will escort me out of here, and I'll be homeless. You think I wouldn't rather be working? I would gladly be among the 25%, paying my taxes to feed and house the other 75%. Fine with me. Work is good. Idleness is not good.

You seem to think that people on welfare or disability have it easy. Nothing could be further from the truth. They get nothing. It's shameful how little they get, not enough to eat, not enough to pay the rent. They live in abject poverty, which tends to keep them from finding work. They can't get together enough money for a phone. How can they apply for a job, if they have no way to be contacted? What states should do is at least put healthy people on "workfare", where they do some sort of job for the welfare benefits they receive. It would help them emotionally, and it would help us get some of those little, less-important tasks done. It might make it easier for them to get off welfare. Everybody wins.


This post brought tears to my eyes. I wish you luck.



posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

... we are a nation that doesn't belong to the American people anymore ...



America is dead.



posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This thread is a disgrace! I have worked as many as three jobs at one time in order to pay all of my bills, and apparently most of yours as well.

Let me get this straight: You did the math and decided you were better off not working and just thought -- hey, I'll be a professional mooch!!

I mean -- seriously?

Get off your tails and actually work for a living. It's really pathetic that people are comfortable accepting a handout. It's one thing to HAVE to, temporarily, (stress temporarily), but it's entirely another to decide to just be a leech.

Well -- you'll get yours. It's the government payments to individuals that will run out first. Then let's see how capable you are of taking care of yourself.

My guess is -- not very.




posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
This thread is a disgrace! I have worked as many as three jobs at one time in order to pay all of my bills, and apparently most of yours as well.

Let me get this straight: You did the math and decided you were better off not working and just thought -- hey, I'll be a professional mooch!!

I mean -- seriously?

Get off your tails and actually work for a living. It's really pathetic that people are comfortable accepting a handout. It's one thing to HAVE to, temporarily, (stress temporarily), but it's entirely another to decide to just be a leech.

Well -- you'll get yours. It's the government payments to individuals that will run out first. Then let's see how capable you are of taking care of yourself.

My guess is -- not very.



Not really sure where you got that from.

I pay into the system and don't benifit at all from it.

The system is a joke.

I work to support my own three dependants and I figure I pay enough to support about 10 more that the federal reserve pays off to keep thier worthless mouths shut.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by In nothing we trust]



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join