It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant moose!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Below is a description of a gigantic moose from an email that was forwarded to me. Something about it seems fake, but it is quite an amazing beast.

I couldn't get the pics to save to my cpu so the link to the pic is below the description.

"Look at this Moose!

By the length of his beard and the grey legs, I figure he must be
over 10 years old. He looks to be well over 8 feet at the top of
the shoulder hump,and with his head up the height to the top of his
antler must be about 12 feet .This guy is king of the forest, no
bear or pack of wolves would dare come after him when he has this
rack......Considering that a dirt road can fit 1 1/2 cars
across ... this fellow is HUGE ...THIS IS ONE BIG BOY!

THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN IN ELLIOT LAKE (Elliot Lake is near Sault
Ste. Marie

Yes it is a regular size dirt road."

f368.mail.yahoo.com...

f368.mail.yahoo.com...

[edit on (10/12/09) by gnosis111]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
your pictures dont load...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Yea pictures aren't workin.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Those are links to the images in your email.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Lets see the pictures, wonder if it is like the 30 point buck stories you hear about in that neck of the woods while BSing at deer camp.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I don't know how to get the pics to show, those links work for me, but when I try to save the images it keeps saving the pics as links to a bunch of HTML code or something. Sorry guys any help would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Is this what you're talking about?

giant moose

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
8 Feet is not amazing it is just upper end... regular moose are massive at the shoulder taller than me... again 8 feet is just like a 7 foot tall human, BIG! but not extraordinary

pics would help!!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Of the pics from Whitewave's link are it, don't think it's real. The legs don't shift position between either of the pics.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Although very large, it's not uncommon to see moose of that size. It is unusual to get pictures as these moose are of an advanced age and hence, quite capable of avoiding humans.

An impressive specimen though, that I will admit.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Yes this is it. Thank you.

I guess I am not too familiar with moose because this is absolutely gigantic!

[edit on (10/13/09) by gnosis111]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yeah that moose is actually average. I was out deer hunting a couple weeks ago and I saw a huge bull moose in a valley that would put this one to shame.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Cool picture, thanks for sharing.
Always be careful when your driving in areas with Moose, if you happen to hit one chances are it could come right through your windshield.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Please sign up to yahoo...nice one!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
No need to throw sarcasm around... it's not his fault the images didn't load. We get it.

But you guys are sort of on target.

On average, an adult moose stands 1.8–2.1 m (6–7 ft) high at the shoulder[6]. ... The largest of all is the Alaskan subspecies (A. a. gigas), which can stand over 2.1 m (7 ft) at the shoulder, has a span across the antlers of 1.8 m (6 ft) ... The largest confirmed size for this species was a bull shot at the Yukon River in September 1897 weighing 820 kg (1,800 lb) and was 233 cm (92 in) tall at the shoulder.[9]

en.wikipedia.org...

Alces alces. 92 inches is 7.67 feet. So 8 feet would be pretty extraordinary because there hasn't been a specimen of that size recorded according to that source. I did find a source citing the largest known specimen to be 8'8" tall, but I really have no proof of that, it may be true.

This guy claims he got a 15' moose... www.jerrysbaitandtackle.com...
I don't know how I feel about that. What do you think?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
That does not look 15 feet at all. And it looks like he is behind the moose. Easy camera trick. I would assume he mean 15 long but even that is a stretch (pun intended)

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

I thought the same thing. An outlier of a 15' specimen when the average is between 6' and 7' is a little ridiculous from a zoological standpoint, as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If we're talking about the photos in whitehaves post then I'm pretty sure the photos are photoshopped.

The moose is in EXACTLY the same position in both pics, legs are exactly the same for example, extremely low probability for that.

It appears to me to be a photo of a stuffed/model moose of some kind that has been photographed and then cut out and edited into other photos to give the illusion of a huge moose.

The first photo does a decent job, but the second photo is lazy. The moose generates no shadow at all, and just looking at the lower half does not look natural at all. The front right leg in particular does not sit right with the rest of the photo and just looks photoshopped. There also appears to be light on the lower body (again, front legs) where there is a near impossibility of there being light.

Moose may well reach that size in real life, but those photos are not all they appear to be in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Somebody else pointed it out already - its fake. Look at the photos again, This guy happened to take 2 pictures of the moose in the E X A C T same position, just a few feet away. . ? bs . . I've seen tons of moose and they do get pretty big, and Im sure there are some that are almost that size - this one is a fake statue. Look at the pictures again.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Looks big to me. Are they not aggressive? I mean it is a bull moose right?

How did you get so close? Tell me true is it photo shopped or not? It still

is a nice pic!

Looking forward to more big picks Do you have one of a crazy big big big

brown bear? thanks and cheers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join