It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPR idled for full week due to general strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

UPR idled for full week due to general strike

www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com

Students have shut down several UPR campuses with strikes since the Fortuño administration announced late last month that more than 16,000 public workers would be laid off as the government works to close a $3.2 billion budget deficit. The administration is aiming at cutting spending by $2 billion a year, a move it says is needed to protect Puerto Rico’s credit from a downgrade to “junk” status. The flagship Río Piedras campus has been idled at least three times in about a month for various protests on the layoffs and other labor issues.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
9 students charged in Canóvanas incident

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Puerto Rico is a gas can waiting for a spark,

a general strike begins on October 15th, threatening to shut down all commercial shipping throughout the island.
This in the context of local supermarkets not having enough credit to buy a weeks worth of groceries and having to receive a couple of deliveries themselves every week as their credit was cut a couple months back...

www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This type of public unrest is unnerving and is going all across the world, it is a sad state which makes you rethink all this capitalism, democracy and the "American Dream" mirage that we have come to believe as true.

Puerto Rico is a prime example of the United States hypocrisy in the world, they talk about spreading democracy, they talk about fairness and equlity but still have in their possesion a territory which they have done nothing in order to improve quality of life or offer them a better deal as far as their political and economy situation.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Very true.

I went to the UN a couple of years back on a trip to NYC...
When I brought up the fact that we were a colony, they somehow managed to push me back to an Italian language tour from the English one, so I told them in Italian

anyways...

Glad to inform that the protest ended without incident....
The government though, is not budging from their position..

www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com...

new topics

top topics

join