It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food production 'must rise 70%'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
The dominating issue that affects food production is water.
Water is becoming scarcer everywhere.The Earth is mostly water but is 97% salt water and most of the remaining 3% is polluted.
As the cities fill up, more water is redirected away from agriculture into the cities and does not go back into the land and into it's own water table, it's lost. And the deserts get bigger. No shock to Australians especially after our recent giant dust storm, we get pounded about water restrictions meanwhile Australia exports water, in particular to China, permanently damaging Australia's water tables, but I can't water my veggie garden.
Food production is directly related to the water problem. You can't address one without the other. And the other is just as big and looming.

Taking salt out of the water isn't hard nor is transporting it. This link shows I think is the most efficient way of dealing with these issues.
www.youtube.com...
I call it a seawell.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
depopulationists in a self-reinforcing rally? who would have thought.... curiously, noone actually bothered with replying to posts which don't fit the consensus in here. namely, a) food being trashed and b) food being abused as fuel.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Instead of giving Africa food give them an endless supply of water.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

Trashed food goes around another time the same as everything else. We can get a lot more efficient sure but the real issue is that this eventially will not be enough and we must start to put something else into place. Or things could get ugly.
Bio fuels do not need to compete with food crops, we could grow our fuel on our roof using algie.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gatorboi117

If people who have more than they need (basically everyone who will read this thread) would simply just show concern and compassion for a few other fellow humans, we could solve this problem.

While I very much agree with your sentiment and agree that many of us could manage on far less, this problem goes much deeper. The effects of climate change and man-made environmental toxification, are going to leave 100s of millions without their traditional sources of food and income. Reefs, that support around 500 million people, are eroding dramatically, when they go completely, it will be sudden. If provisions for such eventualities are not made now, those people will face famine. The available resources available to cope with such a massive famine would have to take much needed aid from elsewhere. Aid agencies, charitable and government led already are stretched to breaking point and are not meeting the need that already exists. We are recycling, reusing and cutting back to save the lives of our children, not the people at risk now. Unless food production is increased and land put to more productive use, and drastic measures put in place to halt toxification of the environment, millions are going to starve to death while we watch them on the news and 'hard-hitting' useless documentaries.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake
Taking salt out of the water isn't hard nor is transporting it. This link shows I think is the most efficient way of dealing with these issues.

Yep, was going to mention this, this is not a solution. The corporate owners of desalination plants will have complete control of life. Also it already has proven that corporations involved are quite willing to allow the natural water systems to become polluted so as to corner the market place.
Would be interesting to see who is investing in these plants.

We can solve all these issues with ingenuity and technology, however it may be impossible in this climate of corporate greed.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by squiz

If no money can be made from a solution - bin it because it is not sustainable. If it can make money then it is a viable solution. This is the oppersite of what you are saying. Which is about as intelligent as saying that successful organic farms are into it for the money. Sustainable methods require a return on money invested. To take a workable idea and trash it because it can turn a profit is simply negative, and keeps us stuck in the problems.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

Profits are made when things are in scarcity, if there is an abundance of drinkable water, then no profit sorry. Water privatization is dangerous, just ask the Bolivians.
And yes profits are made from suffering and environmental damage unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by squiz

Walk around with an empty glass maybe the rain will fill it. People will make money because they are filling a need, wow how bad is that? Lets not fix the problem that way we all die satisfied that nobody made more then I did. Perhaps a farmers corporation or a city council supplied drinking water to it's rates payers.. is your problem that you think I am advertising something here for my gain? This work is offered freely, I am suggesting we instead of sending food to Africa every year, take our relief funds and put in a water supply so they can grow their own food.
Not everybody is out for the quick buck.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Somehow I think that the globalist PTB will find a real quick solution to ‘overpopulation’, and they need only press a button.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Bio fuels do not need to compete with food crops, we could grow our fuel on our roof using algie.

nice promise, but for now it's not quite happening

www.abovetopsecret.com...

these plants won't be converted, the impact was known beforehand and was in fact i dare say the incentive behind the entire program.

Confidential World Bank Report - Biofuels Raise Food Prices

turns out they even do a damage assessment like any militarily run organisation.

as for the rest, exponential growth is temporarily limited. what i don#t understand is why the burden of mistakes isn't left to be borne by those who committed them. overpopulation is first and foremost a local phenomenon, unless of course certain influential people who want to have people for cents on the dollar demand displacement and migration, that is.

PS: suffrage appears to be the best way to curb population growth, but this would increase the rights of individuals, so it's not an option to the powers in being.

==============

People will make money because they are filling a need, wow how bad is that?

oh, i thought you made tons of money just by being 'too big to fail' or simply make money by running up debt until #1 applies.

truth to be told, there's no use in conversing with the orthodoxy around here, you're like die-hard communists and time will of course do the trick (but at what cost
). wrap your mind around the concept that theory and practice differ fundamentally.

some people think they're cool sounding like Ayn Rand.... like 'flee from all people who claim that money is evil'...when in effect, such statements only reveal utter ignorance about the fractional reserve system. the remaining question is what's worse: parroting ignorance or hatching ignorance all on your own. either way it's not good, is it?!

PPS: if one substituted 'wealth' for 'money', well she would have had a point, but that's not what she said...

[edit on 2009.10.15 by Long Lance]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

nice promise, but for now it's not quite happening

The concept is growing algie in panels on our roofs, instead of solar panels which collect 14% of the suns energy, algie collects more than 90%. This is not displacing crops in our fields and not increasing food prices.

these plants won't be converted, the impact was known beforehand and was in fact i dare say the incentive behind the entire program.
Confidential World Bank Report - Biofuels Raise Food Prices

I do understand your concern, reports are that our global food reserves normally which sit at 3 months have been reduced by quite a margin and the increase in production required to repair this seems from resent results unlikely. They are talking about 10% more crops each year for the next 4-5 years just to get back to where we were before the bio fuel push.

turns out they even do a damage assessment like any militarily run organisation.

as for the rest, exponential growth is temporarily limited. what i don#t understand is why the burden of mistakes isn't left to be borne by those who committed them. overpopulation is first and foremost a local phenomenon, unless of course certain influential people who want to have people for cents on the dollar demand displacement and migration, that is.

PS: suffrage appears to be the best way to curb population growth, but this would increase the rights of individuals, so it's not an option to the powers in being.

This I think is answered by giving Africa water enabling them to grow their own food. Perhaps if they work all day to feed their family of 8 (instead of procreating
they make take a bit more care not too produce another mouth to feed. Zimbabwe just scored a 100 million from Britain, here is a country that doesn't need our help. A rich fertile land not producing any food.

PPS: if one substituted 'wealth' for 'money', well she would have had a point, but that's not what she said...

Are you saying that money is evil? - Not really what I want to talk about, we are living in entire abundance, and have thousands of years to sort this thing out. Why are we having these problems? I figure we are the problem and the solution not cash. Nor the lack of cash which is riskily alleviated by our banking system. (at least we grow and have still got all the broken eggs)

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Article published on this

straightfurrow.realviewtechnologies.com...
Bottom of page 9 Solutions to the world's problems (not my heading!)

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Are you saying that money is evil?

as a concept? no, of course not, what i wanted to stress is that dogmatic witty sayings don't mean much, because people tend to read things into them which never were there. money isn't wealth, money today is based on debt. evil? it's certainly used to such ends, the tool itself is neutral, but a smart-xxxx'ed one-liner doesn't go into such detail, does it?

you said

People will make money because they are filling a need, wow how bad is that?

what did the guys who got bailed out do for their money? fill a need? what need? do you even understand what Fractional Reserve System is and how money is created? (through debt)

if not, then it appears you have no grasp of the inevitable consequences of that system or the power it conveys to those who control it. iow, the very heart of all economic issues basically has to remain unknown to you until you get one.

let's be clear, what this thrust towards increased production really means is another round of concentration in agribusiness, which is about control, never about anything else. Q: if a village in Africa or elsewhere plants its own crops and assuming they are enjoying a small surplus. which part do you think will show up in the UN statistics on food production? the amount grown or the amount sold?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

let's be clear, what this thrust towards increased production really means is another round of concentration in agribusiness, which is about control, never about anything else. Q: if a village in Africa or elsewhere plants its own crops and assuming they are enjoying a small surplus. which part do you think will show up in the UN statistics on food production? the amount grown or the amount sold?

If Africa has the same stats forms as NZ then the amount grown will be on the UN statistics. Trying to see where you are going with this, do you agree or not that we will need more food? A 10% increase for the next 4 years will bring us back to a worldwide three month storage of grains.

Start a new thread on the economic bail out if you like, I figure the problem goes back to Bush's push for more American people in their own homes.

So who is in control? makeup your mind is the agribusiness or the water suppliers? Or possibly the people growing the food on their own land? What are you down on, and why does that have a bearing on a need to grow food?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join