It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F.B.I. Internet Monitoring...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I have been doing a lot of research lately and I've been trying to find out what, if any, program the F.B.I. is currently using to monitor internet traffic. I know they used to use Carnivore till 2001, but with the initiation of the patriot act, they have got to be using something to monitor the internet.
I would like to know the name of the program and if it shares any similarities with Carnivore. I use the "Tracert" hack to map my ISP, and I would like to know a rough number of those computer routers that are running the program. (with Carnivore, it was like 1 out of 4)...
So any info or a link would be very helpful, thank you...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The FBI doesn't monitor internet traffic, unless they are specifically watching an individual group or organization.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
The FBI doesn't monitor internet traffic, unless they are specifically watching an individual group or organization.

I'm aware of that, I just wondered what they used to monitor those people or groups...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
To be honest I would be shocked if there is any way to keep up with the pace of the internet.

I think it grows faster than it can be monitored.

Though I could be wrong.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Not the whole internet, just what certain people are doing on it. Carnivore was used in ISP routers to "sniff out" certain activities...I just wanna know what they're using to mine information now. I know they were monitoring emails after 9/11, I remember a list of words that they were watching for, All I know is that now Carnivore is defunct and there is no way they gave up the hunt...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You've got nothing to worry about my friend. They are most definitely monitoring everything, making big bad lists, and doing what ever they are told to by the powers that be.

But they are just like you and me, at the end of the day, they just want a pay check and food on the table and a beer in the fridge. So don't give them too much grief, they have to earn a living too.

Just remember if things get a little hairy, and they have to do anything "un-american" you can't put the 4th amendment back in the bottle. They know this, we know this, and everybody lives happily ever after.

The end.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Exactly. That is why inevitably they're gonna shut it down. If you can't control it, kill it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Signals]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Since when is traceroute a "hack"?

And don't forget that l33t d00d pr0ggy, ping!!1

Do yourself a favor and remove that word from your vocabulary. "hack"... meh

Any sort of decent MITM attack won't show an IP address.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think it's the NSA using algorhythms and word flags that pick out key words on all forms of communication.

Internet, shortwave, cellular, satellite, hard lines.

They hire the best and brightest young mathemeticians.

The FBI is full of attorneys and sharpshooters that can't hit their intended targets.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by I_AM_OVERLORD1

A guy sitting at a desk looking through sites.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Einstein 3 made news a while back....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can almost be certain that the REAL stuff they use won't be disclosed to us peons until it's obsolete...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
ATTENTION FBI:

Do you see these two round, pale-white mounds with a deep divide at my personal back door? That's my ass, you arse-holes!

Now bugger off!

*pulling pants back on*

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
If you're using tracert, you've got Windows on your computer. Nothing wrong with Windows if you want to use it for a business, or for surfing around, e-mails, etc. But for geeky stuff you need something a bit more versatile. You might get some of this software ported to Windows, but not everything is. YMMV.

The word "hack" is seriously abused. I encourage you to check out the link for more information.

As for the FBI, what makes you so sure they're not still using Carnivore, or something similar? Just because they say so? I'm not saying the FBI is a bunch of liars, but the FBI has been known to be very economical with the truth, let's say. We simply don't know what they're up to, and we have no way to find out.

I am confident that the FBI, or NSA, or some other governmental agency is happily monitoring every single thing we say on the Internet. I don't know whether they have the ability to analyze this data in realtime, but I'm sure they have the capacity to store it all and pick through it at their leisure. Fortunately for us, 85% of what they get is ads for penis-enlarging pills, and pleas for help from Nigerian generals, princes, and others who have millions o dollars in a forgotten account that they need your help to get out o the country.

You know that the government has to be giving special attention to ATS and sites like it. They probably aren't too worried about Aunt Bea's Knitting Circle or Ferrets Forever. I'm assuming they'd focus more on sites that discuss the faults of the government or the country, that talk too much about freedom, the Constitution and Bill of Rights, that emphasize peace or unity, racial equality, and all those other subversive notions. Oh, and animal rights and environmentalists. "Troublemakers".

The government is afraid of anyone who wants to change the status quo, and anyone who's "different". Different from what? From what the individuals in government think is the right way to be. That changes, depending on who's in power.

Ah, so let me get of my little soapbox now. I think that someone - maybe everyone - is monitoring all of our communications, using whatever products they've developed since 2001. I'm sure they're doing it quietly, and will vigorously deny doing anything at all, or breaking the law. I am equally sure that they are breaking the law. I don't know the names of the products they use, but that probably doesn't matter. It's not like you can order a copy from Amazon or something.

[edit on 10/12/2009 by chiron613]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I beleive they look more into encypted files i.e. you dont want them to see something so you encrypt it and that gets there attention

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
1. i doubt the feds even bother to read these things

2. they would be upset if i wrote down every thought i had

3. they would have to hire me to make sure they stay in there

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I remember getting an script ( or something ) a few month and a few weeks ago that had U.S. Government in it, and stated "Something something, has expired." Didn't really think much of it and still don't.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by I_AM_OVERLORD1
I have been doing a lot of research lately and I've been trying to find out what, if any, program the F.B.I. is currently using to monitor internet traffic. I know they used to use Carnivore till 2001, but with the initiation of the patriot act, they have got to be using something to monitor the internet.
I would like to know the name of the program and if it shares any similarities with Carnivore. I use the "Tracert" hack to map my ISP, and I would like to know a rough number of those computer routers that are running the program. (with Carnivore, it was like 1 out of 4)...
So any info or a link would be very helpful, thank you...

The NSA is the one that does the vast majority of the monitoring. Read all about it in "The Shadow Factory" by James Bamford. He writes all about how NSA installed fiber optic splitters at AT&T facilities all over the US and using the NarusInsight Intercept Suite.

cryptogon.com...

AT&T has peering arrangements with other ISP and telecom's, so those splitters mirrored all their traffic entering those AT&T hubs as well, whether the other companies (QWEST was one of them) wanted them to or not. Narus and Verint have sold their intercept suites world wide.

There's a reason NSA is building those huge data analyzing and storage facilities in San Antonio and Utah.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by I_AM_OVERLORD1

I remember when I was in college for Computer Sciences I learned of a system the worlds govts. were using at the time called arc poisoning. Where they can divert all traffic at a dot com server or a high level public switch to their systems and then use packet sniffers to identify and pluck any information they want. It's really similar to the network program knoppix used to run but way more high powered and stealthier. I'm sure they haven't stopped doing it and have only gotten better and faster.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SpookHunter

That statement could discribe a few freinds i have.Goodluck and have a nice day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join