A little more info on Syria's sanctions.
"President George W Bush ordered a freeze on certain Syrian assets in the US and a halt to all American exports apart from humanitarian items.
He accused Syria of continuing to occupy Lebanon and pursuing weapons of mass destruction and missiles. "
House Rpt.108-314 - SYRIA ACCOUNTABILITY AND LEBANESE SOVEREIGNTY RESTORATION ACT OF 2003
This section establishes United States policy toward Syria and on related matters. It establishes as policy--
(1) That Syria should be held accountable for attacks committed by terrorist groups which Syria harbors;
(2) That Syria should be impeded from harboring terrorists or developing or acquiring weapons of mass destruction;
(3) That Syria should continue to be described as a state sponsor of terrorism until it ceases support for terrorism and comes into compliance with
relevant United States law and United Nations Security Council resolutions;
(4) That efforts against Hizballah should be expanded;
(5) That the full restoration of Lebanon's sovereignty, political independence, and territorial integrity is in the national security interest of the
(6) That Syria is in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 520 (September 17, 1982) through its continued occupation of Lebanese
territory and its encroachment upon Lebanon's political independence;
(7) That Syria's obligation to withdraw from Lebanon is not conditioned upon progress in the Israeli-Syrian or Israeli-Lebanese peace process but
derives from Syria's obligation under Security Council Resolution 520;
(8) That Syria's acquisition of weapons of mass destruction threaten the security of the Middle East and the national security of the United
(9) That Syria will be held accountable for any harm to Coalition armed forces or to any United States citizen in Iraq due to Syria's facilitation of
terrorist activities and shipments of military supplies to Iraq; and
(10) That the United States will not provide any assistance to and will oppose multilateral assistance to Syria until it ends all support for
terrorism, withdraws its armed forces from Lebanon, and halts the development and deployment of weapons of mass destruction.