It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I just recieved this urgent note from my boss. For those of you that don't know,I work for a major computer company. I work with a lot of foreign shipments. Both in going and out. I recieved this note that all shipments to and from Syria are forbidden. Maybe not a big surprise,we haven't shipped there in years.(to the best of my knowledge) This a new embargo on Syria. And to make it a little more interesting,we have made several shipments to Isreal in the last couple of weeks.
Here is the note.
Effective immediately (May 12, 2004), the United States has imposed significant and broad economic sanctions against Syria to prohibit most exports and reexports, block trade and freeze assets. The net of this means that, with a few exceptions, the sanctions on Syria extend to EAR99 items. All open contracts must be terminated immediately under force majeure.

All transactions related to Syria require authorization from ERO and STC.

Summary of Trade Sanctions on Syria:

Prohibition on exports and reexports to Syria of US-origin goods, software and technology
Revokes all previously authorized transactions. No contract sanctity (must get out of customer agreements under the force majeure clause "governmental action")
Prohibits all dual-use, and ITAR-controlled, exports/reexports, including EAR99 items.
Prohibitions extend to donations.
Prohibitions do not apply to items that have 10% or less US content by value (calculation must include EAR99 items).
Exemptions (requires ERO review)
Food
Medicine (selective and not on the CCL)
Deemed exports to Syrian nationals (outside of Syria) of EAR99 source code or technology
Informational materials and TSPA.
License Exceptions (use requires ERO review)
GOV (personal and official use of US government personnel and agencies)
TSU (operation software and technology, sales technology, software updates)
BAG (only for people leaving the US, not third countries)
Licensing Policy (case-by-case)
Medicines on CCL
Medical Devices
Telecommunications equipment and associated computers
Deemed exports to Syrian nationals (outside of Syria) above EAR99
Products in support of UN operations
Blocking statute (OFAC)
Freeze on property of, and dealings with, designated entities or persons related to Syria (the Treasury Department will publish a list of blocked parties and programs shortly)

[Edited on 5/18/2004 by nyeff]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
All transactions related to Syria require authorization from ERO and STC.

Do you know what "ERO" and "STC" stand for?

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Off the top of my head ,no. They are not codes we use. But I will try and find out.

[Edited on 5/18/2004 by nyeff]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
edit out content: sorry, but I don't want my bosses/co-workers "Googling" this post.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Spectre]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I wonder if Syria is going to be the next target. If so, you'd think they'd sort Iraq out first.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It makes me wonder how much longer it will be before we go in there. This note just came in,and in my 2 plus years here,this is a first. We have never gotten anything like it. Usually we just get the standard list of countries we cannot ship to.
But what really gets me is the shipping to Isreal. Up until 2 weeks ago,I have never shipped anything there. Now we have done 2 or 3 shipments a week. And now this. With more stuff going out later this week.

[Edited on 5/17/2004 by nyeff]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I wonder if Syria is going to be the next target. If so, you'd think they'd sort Iraq out first.

I'm with you on finishing up in Iraq first, not sure how much more current force could handle. If more sarin or other wmd show up and its found to be from Syria theres no telling what'll happen.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I doubt that they are a 'next target' so to speak, but the pressure is definetly being applied for some reason.

Maybe trying to squeeze out somebody they are looking for?

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Syria is part of the ICBM parts trade. Their probably trying to apply pressure there

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I gues Syria is the next Iraq eh?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
A little more info on Syria's sanctions.
news.bbc.co.uk...

"President George W Bush ordered a freeze on certain Syrian assets in the US and a halt to all American exports apart from humanitarian items.

He accused Syria of continuing to occupy Lebanon and pursuing weapons of mass destruction and missiles. "

House Rpt.108-314 - SYRIA ACCOUNTABILITY AND LEBANESE SOVEREIGNTY RESTORATION ACT OF 2003
www.congress.gov...

This section establishes United States policy toward Syria and on related matters. It establishes as policy--

(1) That Syria should be held accountable for attacks committed by terrorist groups which Syria harbors;

(2) That Syria should be impeded from harboring terrorists or developing or acquiring weapons of mass destruction;

(3) That Syria should continue to be described as a state sponsor of terrorism until it ceases support for terrorism and comes into compliance with relevant United States law and United Nations Security Council resolutions;

(4) That efforts against Hizballah should be expanded;

(5) That the full restoration of Lebanon's sovereignty, political independence, and territorial integrity is in the national security interest of the United States;

(6) That Syria is in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 520 (September 17, 1982) through its continued occupation of Lebanese territory and its encroachment upon Lebanon's political independence;

(7) That Syria's obligation to withdraw from Lebanon is not conditioned upon progress in the Israeli-Syrian or Israeli-Lebanese peace process but derives from Syria's obligation under Security Council Resolution 520;

(8) That Syria's acquisition of weapons of mass destruction threaten the security of the Middle East and the national security of the United States;

(9) That Syria will be held accountable for any harm to Coalition armed forces or to any United States citizen in Iraq due to Syria's facilitation of terrorist activities and shipments of military supplies to Iraq; and

(10) That the United States will not provide any assistance to and will oppose multilateral assistance to Syria until it ends all support for terrorism, withdraws its armed forces from Lebanon, and halts the development and deployment of weapons of mass destruction.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Could this www.worldtribune.com...

have anything to do with these recent sanctions?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Looks like Syria is next stop for the terrorism world tour

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Shouldn't we be in N. Korea first though?

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hmmmm, I wonder if we have any Syrian ATS members posting from Syria? Should their posts be banned under the sanctions?

Just kidding!

Seriously, I think the sanctions are probably a good idea. It's a better first step than a Cruise missle.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well we had our meeting yesterday. These sanctions are hardcore. The US has shut down all trade all communication with Syria. The reason for this is because the US is trying to trace all the money going to and from Syria. Any company doing any trade with Syria from this point on will be facing huge fines and possible criminal prosecution. Even though there has already been a limited ban on Syria for sometime now,some companies have dealing with them. Syria has a lot of American computer tecnology in their right now. All Syrian accounts are frozen.(in the US) These sanctions are the same ones that were impossed on Iraq for the most part.

Another interesting tidbit I picked up is trade with Lybia is about to about to start,within the year if things go as planned. IMO this way to soon. Although it will be very limited trade.

IMO....Keep an eye on Syria, whether or not we use military force there,I haven't a clue yet. My gut feeling is yes. Providing Bush is re-elected. The plan to impose sanctions in Syria was sitting on Bush's desk for a year. It was just in the past couple of weeks,that it was decided to sign it. Keep your eyes and ears on the news.

new topics

top topics

join