It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, Help: 1 month stored food... what?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hi! So FINALLY, my mother has agreed to buy a list of food (and other stuff) that would cause 3 people to survive in relative comfort for 1 month.

This would be in the case of natural disaster, quarantine from the flu, a lengthy power outage, ummm the highways getting closed and no food coming..... Stuff like that. Or to the extreme, a nuclear scenario. But in that case I think we are pretty much screwed.... anyhow.

So: What food and other supplies should go on this list, for three adults, for one month?

I am a little stumped myself; where do we buy this from? Organic/not? How do you know if something is shelf stable?

Thank you VERY much in advance! Any help or ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Staple items are highly recommended: flour, sugar, salt, beans, cornmeal, powdered milk and powdered eggs. Canned tuna, peanut butter if you normally eat those sort of things.

What kind of budget is she allowing herself? There are a lot of places in Utah that sell bulk food items but you'll pay an exorbitant fee in shipping. All of the above mentioned items can be purchased at Wal-Mart.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cariaddi

One of Many choices out there...

Make sure to do your own reseach...start with the search bar up top - many a good thread/post on the subject can be found on this site.

Good luck...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Budget, I think, is not too big an issue. Or rather, if it is simply 1 month worth of stuff we normally eat, and will eat via rotation, and that it is OK being stored...... the price is worth it. So not that much
not sure how much that is $wise, though.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If either one of you can or dehydrate foods you can go to your local farmer's market and buy bulk cheaply and can or dehydrate your own.

If you're just looking for a 3 month supply for 3 people you can easily do that by getting stuff at wally world and nitro packing it in 5 gallon buckets. Pour the food in the bucket, add a few bay leaves to keep out the bugs, throw in a chunk of dry ice and keep "burping" the lid like tupperware until there's no more burp left in it. Voila! Nitro packed foods for long term storage.

I have a thread on preserving foods if you're interested in doing it yourself. Also another one on homemade groceries and one on wild edibles.

You'll need water in case your kitchen tap supply dries up for any reason. A good water filter is helpful.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Dry grains (rice, oats, wheat, etc.), legumes (beans of all sorts, peanuts). Stuff that keeps for over a month, for sure. Don't forget water for drinking. Buy some gallon jugs of it, and rotate it (that is, use the oldest, and replace each gallon without delay). Lots of water. For 3 people for a month, that's 90 days worth of water, or over 20 gallons. Don't assume the water will be working, or that it will remain drinkable during an emergency. Water is more important than food. You could last a week without food; but not without water.

Dried fruits, dried meats, can be good. Nuts, but easy on the salt. You do need some salt, but we tend to get too much most of the time. Canned items, of course.

You might need to consider whether your ability to cook would be affected. Does your stove work when there is no electricity? If it's gas, how likely is it that the gas supply would be disrupted? Consider using a portable grill or cooker of some sort, complete with its own fuel supply.

Do the best you can. Even if you can only get a couple weeks worth of supplies together, it's better than nothing at all.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Alright! thank you, all three of you!

Due to our common camping trips, we have a water purifier a carbon- and ceramic-filter pump. Also have an alcohol stove, so shall be also stocking up on that *adds to list*

chiron613 - thanks for the heads up on H2O!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Lots of great suggestions posted here, especially the dried beans, rice, oats, flour dried milk, etc.

One thing that's cheap, you can't live without, and because only a little is needed from time to time is fat. You can buy a few cans of lard, and while we don't normally eat much, it will come in real handy in providing additional calories, as well as a means of cooking some items.

Salt. We can't live without salt. We get some in our foods, but we can't count on that for very long. After several months without sufficient salt, you'll gradually grow weak and die.

The things you really need are relatively cheap, they store well, and they will keep you from starving.

I also hold very strongly with honey and sorghum. Multiple uses, multiple needs will be filled by these two items.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Spices.

O.k. not a necessity, but put some thought into stocking them, nonetheless.

Some years ago, I worked as a counselor for an at-risk/adjudicated youth program. The rotations were 2weeks on/off, in the "wilderness" (desert in the winter, mtns. in the summer). I decided ONCE to go out with student rations. It basically consisted of:

Lentils, barley, rice, dried beans, tuna, dried vegetables, raisins, brown sugar, honey, powdered milk, a hunk of cheese, salt pork or bacon, and oatmeal.

I forgot the spices.

To be honest, not only was I the queen *b* because I didn't have my morning coffee but also, I think I lost over 10 pounds during that rotation from lack of eating! The food was so boring I eventually just lost my appetite.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Absolutely. When you're eating 2 day old coyote you're gonna want some spices.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Those "spices" need not only be for enhancing taste.

Cinnamon, ginger, anise, oregano, garlic, basil, nutmeg, cloves, rosemary, and others have significant, proven medicinal uses.

Oils of spices are concentrations that you can find on some, but it's also not a bad idea to acquire not only the spices, but when it meets your needs, seeds.

Teas made with the appropriate spices usually work a whole lot better than OTC stuff, and better.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

In addition to the above, which are all excellent recommendations, I might suggest stocking up on a few, inexpensive "spicier" additions... paprika, chili powder, curry (of course, with the right combo of garlic, cinnamon, coriander and paprika you could make your own) and cayenne... not only do they spice up otherwise dull food but they can aid in digestion and help regulate the body's internal temperature...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Crackers. Saltine crackers, well-sealed, have a decent shelf life, they are cheap, and they are actually a bread substitute as well as a source of salt in the diet. In a disaster, bread is one of the first things that sells out, and it is one of the things that spoils the fastest.

Now add in a few of those redneck dishes, like sardines (will keep forever!), potted meat, corned beef, and the like. In a pinch, just spread something on a cracker and you've got something that will not just keep your belly from rumbling, but will actually provide more nutrition that you probably realize. for example, those sardines give you a healthy dose of fish oil, and they're ready to eat.

If you really want to get gourmet (
), add a bottle or two of hot sauce for flavor. It keeps longer than the sardines (I think, I have never had either go bad).

Canned foods are great too, as long as the seal is kept intact. Chili goes great with those crackers. Beans and veggies are available in cans as well, and much easier to prepare than dried beans if there's a restriction on stove use. While I'm on the subject of beans, get a half-case of Pepsi and keep it on hand... not to drink, but to sweeten the beans (especially pintos). Just pour a can into the water while they cook.

Beans are chocked full of protein and make an excellent meat substitute if there's no meat.

Don't forget some onions as well... very good for the immune system, flavorful, and if kept in a cool dry place have a pretty decent shelf life themselves. I think garlic is about the same if you get cloves instead of the prepared spices, and it's great for flavor. Potatoes keep for several months as long as they are kept cool and dry too (store them with the onions), and you can eat a 'tater any way you can imagine. They're even good raw!

Since you will be at the store anyway, grab a couple tins of chewing tobacco and white vinegar. Mixed together into a paste, they make an excellent compress for stings and bites.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Ok, first of all 30 days is not enough.Talk Mom into 90 days and maybe you will make it. The most important thing is fresh drinking water. Try to find a clean 55 Gal drum to put it in. That may be difficult so go to Home Depot and buy 6- 5 gal orange plastic buckets with lids. Use one of the buckets as an emergency toilet by buying a 3-ft.long piece of 3 to 4 inch round from pipe insulation. Fill the other five plastic buckets with clean drinking water and put a table spoon of bleach in each bucket and seal the lid down tight.
for the Toilet-Put a 8 gal, plastic bag in the plastic bucket and pin it down with the foam insulation. now put two cups of any kind of semi-clean water in the buck along with a 1/2 cup of bleach. Buy extra toilet paper. Change out the plastic bag every couple of days and bury it in your yard or throw it in the dumpster if you can get away with it....food, count on no electricity so things for sandwiches like Manwich mix in can, beenie weenies, spam, tuna, canned chicken, Pork & Beans, Lots of peanut butter and jelly,honey , what ever you like on a sandwich. Now go to Harbor Freight and by an Inverter that can be hooked up to you car battery and vola you have instant 110 volts at 1500-2000watts. This is to run you bread maker and small appliances. If you have a small refrigerator you buy some weenie and lunch meat to keep in it. Remember sodas or coffee have caffine in it and it will deplete the water in your body so lay off of it.
You should have a bread maker so you can make your own bread for the sandwiches. You will not be able to buy bread or milk or anything in that category. Buy extra bread making kits for sourdough, white , wheat, or what ever you like. They will store inside the house for about 18 mo.

This is going to be a sandwich survival mode weather you like it or not.
Make sure you have extra meds on hand just in case. buy some anti-virals herbs like, Larrea Tridentata-Oil of Oreganol, Graviols, Hydrogen peroxcide 35% food grade. cut it to 1/2 or 17% and 10 drops in a glass of water will stop the stomach flu or any kind of flu. Colloidal Silver is also good.

Beans are good if you have a camping stove to cook them on-remember to soak them over night so they will cook easier. There will be no phone service ,TV, or computers. Buy powerful waki=talkies to keep in touch with family near by. buy a c b radio for long distance and buy a Ham radio for the best all around communication device.

You will not receive any help from the Police or the Fire dept. so just look around you and determine what you will need if a fire breaks out or a burglar breaks in. If you plan for the worst then you will not be surprised by what happens. If you do not plan for the worst then you may have problems you could have avoided with a little better planning.

Just remember.Clean drinking water is #-1..........you can not live with out it. I am not going got go into thyroid pills for Nuke attack or what type weapon you should have you can finds those things on other posting.
Good Luck. good planning is what survival is all about. KMG

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Very true.

After I posted, I thought, "cayenne."

One thing in a SHTF situation, after a period, even parasites will become a problem.

It's been said that a man who eats "hot" foods or chews tobacco, will never have worms.

There is a reason that tropical peoples eat very spicy, and hot foods. I think originally, it was to control parasites, but over time became an acquired taste.

Nothing to back that up, but that's my opinion.

Good posts.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

This is an example of a kit for one person for two months.
waltonfeed.com...
This will provide food for three people for almost three weeks @ 1270 calories per day.

So if go to that site
One year supply for one is twice as much $587.50+ 27 dollars handling
But will last the three of you 17 weeks.
waltonfeed.com...
2225 Calories and 94 Grams of protein per day for(for one person) one year(17 weeks for three)
you will need a grain grinder

[edit on 12-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
www.costco.com...

Costco online is selling 1 year supply of survival food for $799 (Free shipping & handling) for 1 person.... All you need is water. This should be enough for 3 adults for 4 months....No spices needed! Wheat grinder is included! 10-20 year shelf life..4723 total servings .

Due to overwhelming demand, any orders placed after 10/08/09 will not ship until 11/16/09 (Gee, I wonder why there would be an overwhelming demand????)

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smilinggrandma

Because Costco is good at marketing ?
The protein is provided by TVP SOY products.
Ever eat bacon bits ?
if you have peanut allergies or your lactose intolerant you can't eat it.
and you only get 2000 calories a day

yay a free grain grinder

[edit on 12-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I keep food supplies, not because i think the world is going to end but just because of natural disasters that can happen, you have donea good thing convincing your mother.

Our stores consist of cheap staples with some canned goods for variety. Rice and dried beans are the main things along with a ton of spices. The spices can make rice and beans bearable to eat repeatedly for months. We also have canned assorted vegetables, fruits (lots of canned tomatoes) and small amounts of canned meat (ham, corned beef). I included a box of chocolate bars as they are a pick me up food to alter mood whilst being very calorie dense.

On top of that you should pick up a good bottle of multi vitamins. If you need to find food after a month then you can eat anything that is simply calorie dense and the vitamins can make up any short comings.

Simply rotate the food, as you use up the old stuff you replace it. This way you have a constant supply of food that is well within the use by date and don't have to worry about wasting anything

EDIT

Remember that staple foods are the classic poor persons life line. Flour is a key one, along with ready made dried pasta, include some dried egg and milk powder and throw in a couple of packets of yeast. Using these kinds of foods means that you don't have to spend a fortune to build a store whilst providing plenty of filling food.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Just to add that if you're going to add beans to your list (and you really should) remember to eat them with a grain type of food. Beans are an incomplete protein and whilst your body can create the missing proteins it is very energy intensive. Eating beans with a grain will provide a complete protein, this is why rice and beans is a popular dish in many cultures.

I know some people don't like dried beans but honestly if you have access to water and a fire then you're fine. Remember the water is going to be boiled so you don't have to worry about disease or infection.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join