It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conspiracy of American Political Peril

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
i dont think relegating a topic to its own sections takes anything away from the subject matter being discussed. If it did all those other topics that have their own forum must be lacking something, and i can assure you they are not. So from Australia i would like to say "Thanks for the free parking".

Really? you don't think that calling those threads a "disease and a plague" among other things, and labeling in the same manner those who post such threads, and those who agree with such threads is nothing bad?

The first time something like this was done in the forums it was against Republicans, and conservatives, and SO himself agreed with a member who claimed "the right was taking over the website and something had to be done about it."

Now this new "policy" is targeting not only the right, now anyone and everyone who happens to post any thread, and or article which is critical of the Obama administration is also being targeted and "pushed" out of the way so that the Obama fans don't have to see what their perfects boss is actually doing.

Not only was such a forum made, but one of the three amigos, SO, went ahead and labeled those threads, and in doing so implied those people posting, and participating in those threads are "a disease, and a plague," and then he claims this is to fight "hatred"?.....

It is obvious that the Obama squad has been fighting very hard sending complaints about the threads that post the truth of what is being done in this country by the Obama administration.

BTW, since when it isn't a conspiracy what the administration/government does? More so policies which are changing this country for the worse? Oh that's right, only now that the Obama administration is in power there is no conspiracy in what the government/administration does..

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma
I guess ATS is attempting to turn itself into a politically correct board while pandering to the left-leaning and politically impotent.

Another example of:

1) Someone not bothering to read what I post.
-or-
2) Someone not understanding what I write.
-or-
3) Someone seeing different words than what I typed.

I'm not going to repeatedly explain the very-simple concepts expressed in the opening post. For those who demonstrate a refusal to understand the simple concepts expressed here, we may have no choice but to consider your repeated attempts at disruption to be political trolling.

Sorry, but I'm at wit's end over the inability for some to understand what is being expressed.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Yeah I don't see where all of you are going mad, screaming censorship. All they're doing is organizing some of the ridiculous political threads into a proper forum for debate and discussion. It'd be like me being mad that my Metaphysics threads can't go in Breaking News.

Scroll through the threads the majority of them are right leaning threads.

Bias anyone?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Bias anyone?

Might one also conclude that it is the right who is posting most of the inflammatory threads?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

I guess ATS is attempting to turn itself into a politically correct board while pandering to the left-leaning and politically impotent.

Another example of:

1) Someone not bothering to read what I post.
-or-
2) Someone not understanding what I write.
-or-
3) Someone seeing different words than what I typed.

I'm not going to repeatedly explain the very-simple concepts expressed in the opening post. For those who demonstrate a refusal to understand the simple concepts expressed here, we may have no choice but to consider your repeated attempts at disruption to be political trolling.

Sorry, but I'm at wit's end over the inability for some to understand what is being expressed.

or

4) seeing this as conspiracy against dissent.

Did you forget SO you run a conspiracy site, we will find a conspiracy in EVERYTHING.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Hey, AshleyD, isn't this a "conspiracy" site? We are supposed to suspect alterior reasons why TPTB start new forums and move our rants. Now, you want to bring in reason and thoughtfulness...You wanna take away all the fun.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
Do you have amnesia? You think harsh criticism is a new thing in American politics?

if it were harsh criticism as opposed to blind categorizing i'd be all for it
that is not what I was referring to however

I was saying that the media, and now the people keep saying left or right wing, not it's right or wrong.

harsh criticism is very lacking in fact.

Originally posted by Wimbly
Now you want to ban words? How can you guys not see the error of this line of thinking? You all should be the most conscious of it!

I said we should even go further and ban words like right wing or left wing as they only serve as distractions!

of course this will never happen, so my statement was more symbolism than anything.

the error in the line of thinking is categorizing people in the left or right, and not actually dissecting a topic and debating upon it's parts.

in fact this act of categorizing isn't even an error in thinking, it's actually not thinking at all.

I had a few threads in breaking political and elsewhere too.
these threads got moved to the new forum
after reading the sticky I immediately understood why they got moved and advocated the move as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Bias anyone?

Might one also conclude that it is the right who is posting most of the inflammatory threads?

That would be a logical assumption. Not being left or right but libertarian, anti-big government. I tend to gravitate toward whatever party is not in power.

The last 8 years I was rumbling about Bush and now I'm rumbling about Obama.

If anything I hope SO's decision will cause less divide-and-conquer and maybe people will wake up and see it's all two sides of the same coin.

But I highly doubt it, people love picking sides, it's as American as baseball and apple pie.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That has been the best argument for this new area that I have seen yet.

Just one question. . . when does the straw in my cell get changed?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I made it to page 2 and couldn't take it anymore so I'm sorry if somebody else said this.

What's up with people talking about this like it has something to do with Obama? I didn't see SkepticOverlord mention him once. Besides, what he is talking about has been going on way before Obama was even heard of. Also, the subject is way more than 1 man, it's about the B.S. left, right, liberal, and conservative labels, among others. They are all made up labels.

I have been trying to figure "what" I am for a while now. But the crap is so retarded I can't figure it out. Left, right? Left with right leanings? Right with left leanings? Way left? Way right? Am I a liberal? Conservative? Liberarian?

I am ME God damn it. Who cares about the rest?

WHAT is the point of it? The ONLY thing I have EVER seen come from it, is fighting. Uh, HELLO?!?! Is it that hard to figure out?? Seriously?

And why are people saying stuff like this is just putting the subject "away in a box" it's not putting it AWAY, it's making it MORE accesible and easier to find. Wtf are you people smokin? I want some.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Just wanted to pop in really quick and chime in.

1). The forum is not an insult. Even staff, myself included, has had threads moved there. It's not meant to shame anyone or say a member's thread is nonsense.

2). It's not censorship: Just organization. Like when the swine flu story broke this spring, it was all over the board. So it was consolidated into one forum. Currently, American 'political left/right issue' threads are all over the board: Political news, current events, political issues, etc. So now they have been consolidated into one forum.

I have to disagree with you. When SO himself states in his opening post.

It's unfortunate that the infection has polluted the topics and tonality of discussion here on ATS... a place that, in theory, should be immune from such pedestrian diseases. In many ways it appears as though the players (viruses) perpetuating this deadly disease have infected our topics in much the same way nearly every issue is politicized in the mainstream media.

This is why we've formed the new forum, "US Political Madness," to contain the disease (as best we can) to one area of the site. Since the divisive political atmosphere is a result of this conspiratorial pestilence, all new threads covering american politics should be initiated in the new forum. The only exceptions will be straight-up news stories that cover events in US politics -- example: "Obama cabinet meets over North Korea."
The peril is real. It is one of the most, if not the most significant conspiracies of our time. If you're engaged in partisan hate, you're a tool of the conspiracy. These discussions are now in the conspiracy forum group.

Yet this is not about the Obama administration's policies, and people shouldn't feel ashamed of what they are being labeled as by one of the three amigos?

Most threads which have been moved into that section are critical of the Obama administration policies, and even when the thread has no hatred at all but it is showing what the Obama administration is doing is sent there, and has been labeled as a "disease and a plague" as well as those members who happen to post those threads, and those who agree with what is being said.

If the Obama fans don't like to read what the Obama administration is doing they don't have to read the threads, but instead those threads, and of course anyone who is posting what is being done to the country by the Obama administration has been herded into this new forum just so the pure, and innocent eyes of the Obama fans are not tainted by the truth.

Can you tell me when did SO make a thread to imply those who were critical of Bush's policies, and making threads posting articles that were critical of Bush was a "disease and a plague"?...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

From what I see, most that are anti-Govt are the one's busting your balls on this deal. They are looking at this with a "Glass half empty Approach".

I'll give you credit where credit is due. I am in the anti-govt crowd. Big Time. But certain questions and certain answers have to be had in order to move forward. This has been trying to happen, but gets stalled out most of the time by generalized BS.

Maybe, just maybe, the problem lies more in the fact that the one's blind to the Govt. cannot support the BS that they do to us citizens. Maybe this is what you see.
One could argue that both sides of the fence work in a different manor. You have extremes on both sides. On the right, you have the gun crowd that says "Don't Tread on Me". You can push on this crowd for a long time before the bubble bursts. When someone goes over the edge on this side, they do something big. Oklahoma City.
On the left, you have one's trying to save everything so they say. But they are quick to be violent to those they oppose.

Anyways, the first thing I popped up this morning was on the front page.
Total disreagard for engagement on a thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com... e=1#pid7323739

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Dear SO, the idea of the new forum is excellent news.

But even now as we write on this thread, the politicos are having their left/ right debate.

I would like to make a further suggestion that you create a political soapbox forum.

This soapbox forum would enable those with political views to air them and also enable those with opposing views to counter the arguments.

The same decorum moderation would apply and hopefully we could actually resolve some mis-understandings.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Can you tell me when did SO make a thread to imply those who were critical of Bush's policies, and making threads posting articles that were critical of Bush was a "disease and a plague"?...

If I can answer

this left and right division was nowhere as ubiquitous it is today

Plus you do realize that SO mentioning Obama was only an example right?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I said we should even go further and ban words like right wing or left wing as they only serve as distractions!

I know you weren't seriously proposing this, but I think what needs to happen is that the emotionalism be extracted from the terms instead of banning them. They are valid terms. They mean something real. But when people use them in a hateful and demeaning way, then they become weapons, insults and lose their real meaning.

Unfortunately, that's the way they are most used on ATS today. Full of emotion and vitriol. One cannot say those words without being thought of as being "on the attack" or "attacked". It's like people have become so sensitive to them, they are fairly useless in intelligent discussion today.

And to the discussion about this new forum being a way to curb dissent, I think that's absurd. There's a way to have discussion and dissent without hatred and malevolence. Dissent is our right. It's necessary. It's a cornerstone of ATS. Don't confuse dissent with superficial political babble.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by AshleyD

That has been the best argument for this new area that I have seen yet.

Just one question. . . when does the straw in my cell get changed?

You got straw?
And I'm sleeping on concrete...Huh!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I'd say the answer to the dilemma is to ratchet down the venomous rhetoric and bring it back to civilised discourse.

Is it really so difficult to understand that, by and large, it is not the subject matter that requites mitigation, it is the manner in which it is being discussed?

It's about manners, and it's about respect. There are lots of debates conducted on this site which don't deteriorate into insults and vitriol. Look to those stirring that pot...there's your villain!

Personally, I'm sick to the balls of chicken-# Liberals who couldn't find their collective arses with a roadmap and a compass...

But I'm much too polite to say so.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Bias anyone?

For crying out loud, most of the threads are not inflammatory, they are just CRITICAL of the Obama administration, and now only threads, and articles that are not critical of the Obama administration are allowed in the Breaking News, and apparently even on the Political Breaking news.

Since when are policies being implemented by the Obama administration not Political Breaking news?

They aren't even sent to the Political Breaking News, instead they are sent to another forum.

I agree with lucentenigma, this is biased

BTW, in case you haven't noticed it yet such threads are not only posted by those of us who are right leaning, there are many members who are left leaning who have also posted such threads and those are also sent to this new forum.

What you just said in that statement of your is political bias.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

If I can answer

this left and right division was nowhere as ubiquitous it is today

Plus you do realize that SO mentioning Obama was only an example right?

You just pointed to the biggest problem. Right and Left. There are lots of folks on here that are in the middle and against the Govt. in general. First called Bush bashers, now Anti-Obama extreme Right, etc.

It really pisses me off to get shoved one way or the other. People want their Crap so bad and to live in Utopia without working for it, it blurs their vision for what is important, what is real, and what is right. (not that right)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

From 2005 (and linked in this OP)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We have allowed the sickness of petty political bickering to find a foothold and cause a widespread infection. "Deny Balance" should be the new motto, as right-blaming-left and left-blaming-right is pervasive throughout the board.

Make no mistake, you are being expertly controlled. Even here, in this venue that should be beyond the puppet masters' strings, we have succumbed to the subtle manipulations of thought and reason. Instead of looking in agner toward the puppet masters, you yell at the puppets.

ATS has fallen. We're not out, but we're mortally wounded.

It is indeed, a sad day.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join