It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Intel Analyst Who Briefed President: Iran Threat All Hype

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
But Rome did not win.

Scorched earth policy (and retreat) only works against a rapidly invading army with a long supply route, and only as a very last resort.

The Russians did this during WW2, and lured the German army into a killer winter. The Chinese have been doing it for thousands of years against invaders.
It is a worst possible strategy for civil war or revolution.
Once you have trashed your own nation, where are you going to go ?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
But Rome did not win.

Scorched earth policy (and retreat) only works against a rapidly invading army with a long supply route, and only as a very last resort.

The Russians did this during WW2, and lured the German army into a killer winter. The Chinese have been doing it for thousands of years against invaders.
It is a worst possible strategy for civil war or revolution.
Once you have trashed your own nation, where are you going to go ?

Rome didn't win? Are we talking about the same thing? The Gallic Wars of Caesar, 55 - 51 BC? Vercingetorix, Alesia, all that?

Rome didn't win? What the devil were they doing controlling the area for the next several centuries without opposition, then? How do you define a win, if that's not it? They seem to have accomplished their objective, even captured and executed Vercingetorix when he failed to stick by his plan.

I agree that Scorched Earth is a last resort, but disagree that it's ONLY use is against rapid invaders with long supply lines. Making an area absolutely unliveable will effectively deny it to ANY opponent. Even natives of the area.

Before mine goes to an opponent, such will happen, without doubt. Where am I going to go? You seem to have the notion that I plan on surviving it, and thus would NEED somewhere to go. That wouldn't be the case.

Ergo, the certainty that it is a LAST RESORT.

You see, if I have to fight, I do it like I mean it. I fight to win, not for sport. Suicide bombers have nothing on people like me. We won't throw our lives away for some petty statement, for a "maybe", with non-combatants as the primary targets in a useless gesture. If we're gonna die anyway, a whole lot of the opposition will accompany us, and whatever opposition remains won't gain anything from it, and neither will their progeny.

THEY, the alleged "victors", will be the ones turned into refugees, seeking a new home.

[edit on 2009/11/1 by nenothtu]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

America is already fighting two wars, and losing both ?

We are? Interesting.

But not when Iraq has the full support of just about every other nation on the planet.

They do? Hmmmm....

An even bigger problem for America these days is that America now has zero allies that are prepared to fight beside America. None, zero. America now has, only enemies and potential enemies worldwide.

Nice opinions you have. Now, how about some facts to ground them in?

What you're engaging in is called, "hyperbole."

[edit on 1-11-2009 by jerico65]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Sorry for the delay in responding, Silvershadow.

You have a mistaken assumption about weapons and peace. Ever live in a society where every man is armed to the teeth 24/7?

I can assure you, it's one very polite society.

This business about Americans killing each other. Not going to happen like you seem to think.

If some event topples control, you'll see the small percentage of the population that wants to help themselves to the property of others meeting some rather stiff resistance. Their numbers will steadily decline as summary justice once again takes precedent.

It's most efficient. In fact, if our laws would enable such a thing, all this violence we experience would be rapidly quashed. Repeat offenders?

Not when addressed promptly the first time around.

The law has gone from protecting the innocent to a means of providing refuge for the lawless.

We'll take care of that too, but since we'll be catching up from decades of decline, it will not be accomplished overnight.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
What I see dooper, is the US government gearing up for martial law, and the American public buying up weapons and ammunition at an ever increasing rate.

Very soon after the economic collapse, people are going to freak out when necessities rapidly become unobtainable.

During the flooding of New Orleans, there was gunfire everywhere, many murders, much looting. Katrina too was pretty bad.

I just cannot see that as very heavily armed people being polite to each other.

In other nations that have natural disasters on a similar or even larger scale, emergency relief pours in within hours.
There is no gunfire, nobody snipes at rescue helicopters, just because they can..

In the US, the military has to go in first to seal off and secure the area.
Then go door to door confiscating weapons.
That is just crazy.
But then America is a crazy place.

[edit on 1/11/2009 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

You misunderstand America.

Yes, if an attempt - and I specify attempt - is made to declare martial law - the question becomes, "where?"

Because there's no way in Hades to do so nationwide. We don't have enough military, police, sheriffs, and other law enforcement that would be required to even shut down one major city.

It will be neighbors banding together to bring order to their neighborhoods and keep roving bands of predators out.

It won't be like Katrina. Katrina was localized. Our problem will be Katrina times a thousand at once. No one will be moving into any area and coming to the rescue.

It's going to be about self-preservation. Neighborhood by neighborhood, section by section, community after community, and then order will eventually be reestablished by States.

Which at that point will never again relinquish power to a strong central government.

We get to start from scratch, and learn that the original Constitution as written was ideal.

Large governments don't work. A state is as big a government as anyone needs.

The rest is just to coordinate mutual projects and national defense.

It will be bad, it will be bloody, and it will be over before you know it.

We're independent, but once we have a task to perform, we get right down to it.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I guess you all are referring to a Civil War. Since most of the now, European Nations all have gone through the transition of civil war, dictatorship and then liberty, the only worth while and as history has documented it was the bloodies and most destructive transition towards liberty.

What people have failed to study is the affect of a civil war on how would you determine a friend or foe. In simple words, your neighbor could be considered a foe regardless that you have grown up with him. Or your wife's parents or your husbands parents could be considered as a foe. Civil war is not about how many guns or ammunition you have stocked up. Its simply a complete breakdown of structure, the economy, the military as you now it, anything that represents law and order and last but not least a distinction of who and who cannot be treated in hospitals. These are the basic things affected and to think that we have not even approached the food distribution and the method used to transfer or purchase goods from one state to another.

From the so many threads and posts inciting or outlining civil war, i wonder, how many of those posters have actually studied the affects of civil war throughout the world.

Use your brain, don,t abuse it. (Perhaps its time log off and open a book/s)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Plan for Global leadership ?

There you go, not plan to get along with other nations peacefully, but LEADERSHIP, presumably by force.

I wish you luck in leading the world after you have had your revolution.

America will be lucky to survive at all as a nation once the shooting starts.

[edit on 1/11/2009 by Silver Shadow]

See above post, and I'd like to add why should we lead the rest of the world? Something wrong with your own leaders? Seems to me, and I'm not alone, that you folks ought to be able to lead yourselves.

Yes! but here is the problem my friend!

We actually WANT America to lead the world, but in a very responsable way witout things like the PNAC agenda and insanity!

We have trusted you enough to let you administer our world reserve currency, (which by the way made it possible for you of propping up your way of living with the Petro-Dollar system and hegemony, and look what happened to that?

The world economy is screwed because of Wall Streets greed!

And now you guys have invented a new beautiful scheme of speculating in Life Insurances - when will the insanity end?

Well buddy!

You and people like Dooper nead to get into the politics, that's for sure!

We need a new start in some way!

Like I wrote in another thread! O'boy I miss the DD "IKE" Eisenhower days!

[edit on 2-11-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous

Yes! but here is the problem my friend!

We actually WANT America to lead the world, but in a very responsable way witout things like the PNAC agenda and insanity!

I have reluctantly led people off and on through life, and I can assure you that I NEVER let those led determine how I should lead. If they have a better plan, then THEY need to lead. If not, then let me lead as I see fit. If some one wants me to lead, and then TELLS me how to do it, how they want to be led, in short order they will be searching for another leader.

That concept is the same for countries as it is for individuals. If someone else has a better idea, then they don't need the US to lead, they should step up and take the lead themselves.

Personally, I'm hoping the US gets out of the world leadership business soon. We have other things that need to be attended to.

We have trusted you enough to let you administer our world reserve currency, (which by the way made it possible for you of propping up your way of living with the Petro-Dollar system and hegemony, and look what happened to that?

Beats me what happened to it. My suggestion is for you all to administer your own money. God knows the US monetary system is messed up, what with allowing a private company to churn out paper money backed by pretty much nothing.

The world economy is screwed because of Wall Streets greed!

Nope. The world economy is screwed up because the trusted known crooks to guard the henhouse, i.e. Wall Street, instead of looking after their own interests.

The US economy is screwed up because too many folks trusted the government NOT to do boneheaded thing with our money, like uh... give it to Wall Street. We KNOW Wall Street is run by crooks. I can't for the life of me understand why Washington gave them MORE money to line their pockets with. MY money. Maybe DC didn't get the memo about Wall Street being run by crooks?

And now you guys have invented a new beautiful scheme of speculating in Life Insurances - when will the insanity end?

All insurance is a scam, not just life insurance, but health insurance too. I wasn't aware that Americans invented it, though. I reckon I learn something every day.

Now our government wants to take the insurance racket over, too, with their "single payer" or "public option" or whatever that mess is they're trying to ram down our throats, and trying to pass off as "health care". I'd be OK with that, except that the government here intends to FORCE the citizenry to participate, whether they like it or not. I can see that not working out to well for some of us.

I have no insurance, and don't want any. It's nothing more than a racket to part fools from their money. I carried insurance for years, and couldn't use it when I needed it. It's a racket, and they got enough money out of me for nothing. Now the government steps in, and is saying I HAVE to have insurance, under penalty of law? Nope. Come and get me. I ain't paying a DAMN thing into it.

Well buddy!

You and people like Dooper nead to get into the politics, that's for sure!

We need a new start in some way!

Like I wrote in another thread! O'boy I miss the DD "IKE" Eisenhower days!

Me and Dooper go into politics? And to think someone said Europeans have a strange sense of humor! I don't find that strange at all, it's PERFECTLY humorous!

No, I pretty sure NO ONE want us to go into politics. Least of all me!

I think I'm too honest to make a good politician anyhow...

[edit on 2009/11/2 by nenothtu]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
we were warned about the Military Industrial Complex quite awhile ago. Rather than heeding the warnings of a retiring president we went ahead and allowed one to form anyway. In addition we allowed the creation of Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex, a Agricultural Industrial Complex, and on and on and on. And now or elected representatives in this so called representative democracy no longer represent We the People but the many Industrial Complexes of this nation who wield the majority of the nations power via controlling the majority of the nations wealth. Welcome to the time of cancer-capitalism, enjoy the downward spiral.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join