It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about pro sports?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What do you think about professional sports?

I watch a lot of baseball and football and one day it struck me. It is extremely silly for a grown man to play a game professionally. Think about it. Sure you get the babes and the money, but how have you helped mankind advance? I still advocate college sports (though I don't think those division 1 schools should put so much emphasis on it), but I think it is time to grow us after that. I think it is juvenile. That's all.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
While I agree, ultimately it adds very little to the outcome of humanity. However, I dont think it is good to overlook the importance of recreation and competition in society.

Recreation is extremely important-citizens cannot work all the time. Escapes are needed.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
From a woman's perspective:

My husband is the ultimate sports nut. Just yesterday alone (sunday) he watched 4 hours of President' Cup Golf followed by 8+ hours of Football (american football, not soccer). I've griped to him many times just asking him to spend time with me, but he just can't help it - he's addicted to sports. My thing is that he will spend hours and hours and get so enthralled with players who don't care about him, don't know he exists, and couldn't care less about our family, but he sometimes still chooses them over me.

And, like has been mentioned before, they get paid copius amounts of money and contribute little to the good of society. Entertainment is one thing, but Michael Vick made a zillion dollars and was found guilty of Dogfighting, and now he's playing again. And these are role models of society?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

Sounds like he needs to be reminded that hanging out with your girlfriend/wife could have tremendous benefits.
j/k

If only scientists can get 5 year/80 million dollar contracts with endorsements. Our priorities are in the wrong place. Why do we need so many new stadiums?

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Longtimegone]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longtimegone
If only scientists can get 5 year/80 million dollar contracts with endorsements. Our priorities are in the wrong place. Why do we need so many new stadiums?

Scientists don't have 40-80 thousand people willing to pay $100+ per ticket to watch them work. So, no big contracts for them I'm afraid.

I see pro sports as entertainment just like any other. The salaries are based on a team's revenue. Don't forget pro sport is a business. If they weren't making money they wouldn't be there.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I think most of the players are overpaid ego enraged goof balls who were unable to anything else in life..I do NOT understand why athletes and movie stars make so much money for just entertaining people. I ENTERTAIN daily and I am NOT paid millions!

I like baseball and the ufc and I yell and get all excited when my team or fighter is winning but I dont think they deserve to get paid as much as they do.

I see why people like sports, yes it does show healthy competition and brings people together in ways they probably wouldnt do normally.

Another thing that annoys me is advertising endorsement they get..OMG I dont give a rats butt if Brett Favre (sorry if misspelled I dont watch football but I know his name lol) wears NIKE air or whatever he is promoting, if its a good product tell me that, it is not going to sway me if some hot shot ball player wears them.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
You all miss a very relevant point that is pro sports' biggest, and to me, most glaring contribution to society..

In what other realm of humanity are we allowed complete jubilation without it actually affecting our daily lives? Sports itself plays no part in a good society, but the camaraderie, union, and joy it brings to its fans is certainly a testament to its staying power in our world.

There is no real point to it, which is why the happiness it causes is so miraculous.

And as an above poster stated.. Yeah they get paid a lot, but so does anyone who perpetuates the market from all angles. There are dolls, clothes, advertisements, season passes, beer, etc etc etc. The best part about these sports? Unless you want to buy all the crap, you get to experience it for FREE!!!!

I would stop thinking about it and enjoy it for what it is: pointless, costless FUN!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longtimegone
What do you think about professional sports?

I think sports are a distraction to keep us off the real issues in life.

top topics

join