It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

How did you celebrate Pro-Life Cupcake Day?

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Found this article today-found it quite interesting.
www.bitchmagazine.org...


"The Cupcakes for Life Campaign is as crazy as it sounds. One blissful day a year, bake cupcakes with pro-life messages and share them with all your friends. Why cupcakes? The site makes its motivations sound simple: "Simply because everyone wants them!"

Well, okay, guilty. (There really is a 2' x 2' empty cupcake box in the Bitch Office right now). But what they're not saying is "We are targeting children." They're straight-up organizing elementary and high school kids to spread the message that abortion's wrong, only instead of using bloody photographs or baby dolls, they're using birthday parties and cupcakes to get their point across. "


And this from Cupcakes for Life Campaign's own FAQ section on their website:
" Q.) What if my school won't allow me to bring in cup cakes?

A1.) Give them out before or after school!
A2.) Do it anyway and be quick about it! Also be very apologetic and kind if you get caught.
A3.) Ask for permission to bring in pre-packaged cupcakes from a bakery!
A4.) Just pass out flyers and make cupcakes after school and hand them out to your neighbors in the name of life. Whatever you do, don't give up when confronted by opposition!
A5.) Just hand them out somewhere besides school.
A6.) Ask to set up a table at your local grocery store. "

Is anyone, regardless of your standpoint on the topic, okay with this type of propaganda being forced on children, and advocating it's spreading at school?




posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Wait. You're not saying abortion is right, are you. Yes it is A "right". But I dont think anyone thinks its right, necessary perhaps but. as for the indoctrination......I'd rather that then it be.BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA MMM..MMM..MMM



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
Wait. You're not saying abortion is right, are you. Yes it is A "right". But I dont think anyone thinks its right, necessary perhaps but. as for the indoctrination......I'd rather that then it be.BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA MMM..MMM..MMM


I'm not saying either way. I am saying that propaganda directed at our most impressionable children is wrong.

Yes, though, for the record, I am very pro-choice.

You really would rather your child be taught to judge others based on their beliefs?



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


how are they being taught to judge others?

by the way I have 3 boys all elementary school age so im not just here to argue.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


how are they being taught to judge others?

by the way I have 3 boys all elementary school age so im not just here to argue.



Did you look at the company's site? Their standpoint is to put it in the face of all pro-choicers-they even advocate ridiculing them....



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 

pro-choice groups dont advocate ridicule against pro-life groups?

also, you stated "You really would rather your child be taught to judge others based on their beliefs?" Does not the content of ones character contain ones beliefs? Shouldn't we be judged on the content of our character?



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 

pro-choice groups dont advocate ridicule against pro-life groups?

also, you stated "You really would rather your child be taught to judge others based on their beliefs?" Does not the content of ones character contain ones beliefs? Shouldn't we be judged on the content of our character?


This is not about one group versus the other. This is about the blatant propaganda used to indoctrinate our children to one side or the other, indstead of teaching them to think for themselves.

I don't think it is the right or place of any one person to judge another. Live and let live my friend.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If I had kids one of the first lessons I as a parent would teach them is that everyone has an agenda and wants you to think like they do.

I would teach them how to recognize propaganda and bribery like this pro life group is trying to sell and have a healthy attitude of skepticism of everyone and everything.

I would also teach them to respectfully tell people they don't agree with to go suck an egg.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
One of the most boiled down and ridiculous arguments in American politics has just gotten a bit more stupid.

Being an atheist Anti-Abortionist gives me a unique perspective on this debate, but this to me smacks of more "Focus on the Family" type garbage. The abortion debate is not about right or wrong, shoot, it's not even framed correctly to be a rational argument in either camp.

I'm pretty sure that (using the average joe test) most people would say that bumper stickers, banners, commercials, protests, and billboards say little and change nothing. So, what does that say about the cupcake idea?

Winning the hearts and minds with sugar to small children. What a winning idea.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I have to say that if given one of these cupcakes outside the abortion clinics, I don't think I could eat it while seeing all graphically explicit photos they always have hanging around. They seriously turn my stomach.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Being an atheist Anti-Abortionist gives me a unique perspective on this debate


I thought I was the only one!

reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


As for cupcakes at school, you've already got the other 99% of the school day for more left-leaning propaganda. What's 1% pro-life going to do? Besides, couldn't you just organize a pro-choice cookie-day?

I wonder how loud you got when they started showing Al Gore's movie, or singing songs about Obama at schools.

For the record, I'd rather see no prosthelytizing of any kind, political or religious, at public schools. We'll never see that, however, because we allow people who are not us the position of teaching our children.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
I have to say that if given one of these cupcakes outside the abortion clinics, I don't think I could eat it while seeing all graphically explicit photos they always have hanging around. They seriously turn my stomach.


On that point I agree.

Shoot, I am (basically) on their side, but religion could be easily interchanged with logic and still battle strongly. Many of them SEEM to really care and I try to take that at face value, but I just think their "tactics" don't really express the love they 'purport to export' (catchy!). The pictures shown by some pro-life elements are distasteful in the extreme.

If you need to shock your audience to have them listen to you, then your performance (behavior) is pretty awful indeed.



posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by EsSeeEye
As for cupcakes at school, you've already got the other 99% of the school day for more left-leaning propaganda. What's 1% pro-life going to do? Besides, couldn't you just organize a pro-choice cookie-day?


I'd prefer to strip Washington of any education oversight or power. The States could decide what level of public education they want (I'd prefer none, but there's 50 states to live in).

Anything that has fealty to the federal level has to stay Constitutional, which means NO preference in public schools at all. This is the absolute worst thing to have attached to state or federal levels as it equally infuriates every side and NEVER DIES.


For the record, I'd rather see no prosthelytizing of any kind, political or religious, at public schools. We'll never see that, however, because we allow people who are not us the position of teaching our children.


That's not always true. Don't discount the role a good non-parent mentor can do.

I would submit that if you could simply have the portion of our taxes that go to all education dollars goes back into our pockets, but have to be paid monthly by each citizen, we'd have a different country and a better education system overnight.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro
 


Agree on all points. You're right about students and mentors as well, but as always, the parents need to have oversight and responsibility.

Good post.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


First, being pro-life, and telling people that you are, isn't "propaganda". Second, parents have the right to teach their kids what they believe. Do you think someone should tell you what you can and cannot teach your kids? Third, I really can't see how you have an issue with this at all. How is it a bad thing for kids to want other kids to have a chance to live? Seriously. Handing out cupcakes is a good way to do this. It's a nice gesture, nothing graphic involved, and gets the message out. Plus, it teaches kids that in this country we have a right to free speech, and shows them a way to exercise that right. I see no downside here. You might disagree with the message, but this is voluntary, done by private individuals, and thus protected.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
First, being pro-life, and telling people that you are, isn't "propaganda".


I'd say that's true, but a case could be made that it is. Either way, it's not important.


Second, parents have the right to teach their kids what they believe. Do you think someone should tell you what you can and cannot teach your kids?


Who said otherwise? It's the OTHER kids, I believe, might be the issue. I'd be sure to have a serious conversation with any folks who gave my small kids cupcakes saying "Abortion is Swell!" or some other useless thing.


Third, I really can't see how you have an issue with this at all. How is it a bad thing for kids to want other kids to have a chance to live? Seriously. Handing out cupcakes is a good way to do this. It's a nice gesture, nothing graphic involved, and gets the message out.


Question, do you think you could point out any 5 people that do NOT live in caves or are just learning to read that haven't heard this silly debate and are already sick to death of it's ridiculous combatants?

This isn't Autism Awareness, people know we shop-vac babies out of "mother's" stomachs (using that term for them makes me kinda sick).


Plus, it teaches kids that in this country we have a right to free speech, and shows them a way to exercise that right. I see no downside here. You might disagree with the message, but this is voluntary, done by private individuals, and thus protected.


I'd agree with you if they were adults.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by EsSeeEye

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Being an atheist Anti-Abortionist gives me a unique perspective on this debate


I thought I was the only one!

reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


As for cupcakes at school, you've already got the other 99% of the school day for more left-leaning propaganda. What's 1% pro-life going to do? Besides, couldn't you just organize a pro-choice cookie-day?

I wonder how loud you got when they started showing Al Gore's movie, or singing songs about Obama at schools.

For the record, I'd rather see no prosthelytizing of any kind, political or religious, at public schools. We'll never see that, however, because we allow people who are not us the position of teaching our children.


This is so untrue. I work for a school. And as Ive said so many times before, the curriculum is quite conservative.

And you are still missing the point. School is for education. Not for indoctrinating the children with our beliefs.

I actually refused to show "An Inconvenient Truth" in my class-instead I pointed out it's factual incorrectness and taught my students to see through propaganda. As for singing to Obama, well, apparently you are under the impression that because one or two school(not even school-classes within schools) sang songs to Obama that all schools do.

To that I will simply answer: step away from your computer, go out and volunteer at a few schools. You apparently need an upfront lesson on what goes on inside a school.

I do agree with you on one thing though, and it's the point I've made throughout the thread: that it doesn't matter what side you stand on, indoctrinating children to serve your agenda is wrong.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
How did I celebrate the pro-life cupcake day? I went on a diet.

I will gladly contribute when the pro-life movement includes all life and fights against the death sentence.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


First, being pro-life, and telling people that you are, isn't "propaganda". Second, parents have the right to teach their kids what they believe. Do you think someone should tell you what you can and cannot teach your kids? Third, I really can't see how you have an issue with this at all. How is it a bad thing for kids to want other kids to have a chance to live? Seriously. Handing out cupcakes is a good way to do this. It's a nice gesture, nothing graphic involved, and gets the message out. Plus, it teaches kids that in this country we have a right to free speech, and shows them a way to exercise that right. I see no downside here. You might disagree with the message, but this is voluntary, done by private individuals, and thus protected.


Telling people you are pro life is not propaganda. Picking something that will specifically entice one group and using it to force your view on them absolutely is.

No one said anything about not teaching YOUR kids. But if you think it's your right to impose your view on OTHER'S children, you and I might have to have some words.

I'm not going to address your "third", as I am not going to go down the route you want to take this. It is not a debate about "a child's right to live" (so, so ignorant and naive), so don't try and bait me into taking it there. You teach your children what you like-but keep your beliefs off of mine.



posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
How did I celebrate the pro-life cupcake day? I went on a diet.

I will gladly contribute when the pro-life movement includes all life and fights against the death sentence.


Don't count us out. I am anti-abortion and anti-death penalty.

In general, defensive killing is the rare time I agree with governmental murder.




top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join