It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internal Memo Confirms Big Giveaways In White House Deal With Big Pharma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The Huffington Post has alledgedly received a memo from the WH that shows that the two made an agreement:

A story from 08/13/2009 said…A memo obtained by the Huffington Post confirms that the White House and the pharmaceutical lobby secretly agreed to precisely the sort of wide-ranging deal that both parties have been denying over the past week. The memo, which according to a knowledgeable health care lobbyist was prepared by a person directly involved in the negotiations, lists exactly what the White House gave up, and what it got in return.

It says the White House agreed to oppose any congressional efforts to use the government’s leverage to bargain for lower drug prices or import drugs from Canada — and also agreed not to pursue Medicare rebates or shift some drugs from Medicare Part B to Medicare Part D, which would cost Big Pharma billions in reduced reimbursements. In exchange, the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers Association (PhRMA) agreed to cut $80 billion in projected costs to taxpayers and senior citizens over ten years. Or, as the memo says: “Commitment of up to $80 billion, but not more than $80 billion.”

soldierforliberty.wordpress.com...

It goes on to state that this is another Obama campaign promise broken--to use the government's power to reduce the costs of drugs. There's a lot more on the page if you keep reading.

Here's the URL for Huffington Post article:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

It shows an image of the memo and talks about the deal in detail and explains each item.

Edit-changed title to steer conversation better

[edit on 10/12/2009 by willow1d]

mod edit, correct title

[edit on 13/10/09 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Is it just me or does The Huffington Post lose most credibility when you look to the right and see the second most popular topic of discussion on thier forums is "Hilary Swank Sleeps Naked, Stays Naked In Front Of..."

But absolutely nothing would suprise me concerning Washington politians and Big "any business". Pick your poison America ... if you want Republicans in they will back Big Oil ... if you want Democrats in they will back Big Pharm. It sucks that we are down to a two party system but thats what we have right now and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
Is it just me or does The Huffington Post lose most credibility when you look to the right and see the second most popular topic of discussion on thier forums is "Hilary Swank Sleeps Naked, Stays Naked In Front Of..."

Yeah that is quite funny. But worse is that it's part of the "Most Popular". Boys will always be boys, huh?

But absolutely nothing would suprise me concerning Washington politians and Big "any business". Pick your poison America ... if you want Republicans in they will back Big Oil ... if you want Democrats in they will back Big Pharm. It sucks that we are down to a two party system but thats what we have right now and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

Well, I didn't start this post to go partisan. I don't care if it's Democrat, Republican, Independent or Martian.

Government should not be making deals like this, especially behind people's backs. "We the People" should be able to have a chance to give our opinion on things. Especially when it affects us, our pocketbooks, our children, and most of all, our elderly who deserve respect for getting us what we have in the first place.

Edit for grammar mistake.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by willow1d

I couldn't agree with you more. It does seem like this sort fo thing is unavoidable nowadays. I dont know if it is a fundamental flaw of capitalistic societies, if it is tied to power somehow, or if greed and selfishness are just woven into the human condition. You would hope that sooner or later we would just evolve beyond stuff like this but it doesnt seem to be around the corner anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

No, it's not capitalism in itself. It's the power and greed that has caused things to go awry. And I also believe that as our generations have grown people have become more and more lazy. Capitalism is based on hard work and reward, success and failure, generosity & supportive and the pride that comes from knowing that you earned what you have. And it has worked for almost 200 years (this started a while back), making the US the leading country in most areas (including generosity) for decades.

I'm personally afraid that we will have a hard road ahead to get back to where we need to be. And I hope one day our children will be able to enjoy the pride obtained from ability to strive for a goal and achieve it. If we continue where we're going, they'll have no drive to so. We humans like to be rewarded for our efforts.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

CNN, Fox, and MSNBC all reported on this earlier in the year. This is just furthr proof of what they said more than a month and a half ago.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by willow1d
reply to post by underduck

I also believe that as our generations have grown people have become more and more lazy.

I think that might be hitting the nail on the head. The increase in laziness is not something we can ignore. We are so filled with apathy ... constantly being bombarded by flashing lights, commercials, and neon signs. We dont even raise an eyebrow anymore when we hear about secret political deals. They are just part of the game now.

Even look at this thread for instance. "WH & Big Pharma secret agreement" in the Breaking Political News Forum .... its been up for a couple of hours now and this thread has turned into two people going back and forth saying, "yeah it sucks ... go figure." I should be pissed and running up and down, writing letters to my congressman, making phone calls to anyone who might listen ... but I wont. Why? I am lazy and I see it as a lost cause. All we can really do is be aware and teach our kids to do the same.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I should be pissed and running up and down, writing letters to my congressman, making phone calls to anyone who might listen ... but I wont. Why? I am lazy and I see it as a lost cause.

We all should be angry and demanding to know why deals were made?

But, like you said it is a lost cause. The White House will merely say they were looking after Americans and took the best deal possible and at least half of Americans will give them their blessing.

The other half will be labeled and ridiculed day and night.

IMO, this deal was made to appease the Pharma. In other words, they will still get their money.

Would the WH be so kind to the coal mine and oil industry when they have legislation facing them?

Furthermore, any deals made should be released as part of the Transparency the WH constantly talks about.

Lost cause indeed.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Already a thread here: Internal Memo Confirms Big Giveaways In White House Deal With Big Pharma from 2 months ago.

[edit on 12/10/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

Even look at this thread for instance. "WH & Big Pharma secret agreement" in the Breaking Political News Forum .... its been up for a couple of hours now and this thread has turned into two people going back and forth saying, "yeah it sucks ... go figure." I should be pissed and running up and down, writing letters to my congressman, making phone calls to anyone who might listen ... but I wont. Why? I am lazy and I see it as a lost cause. All we can really do is be aware and teach our kids to do the same.

But I do write my Senators and Representative (who happens to be someone now infamous in a bad way!
). If they don't hear from me at least once a month I feel like I'm shirking my duties!

I subscribe to Congress.org to keep me up to date with the current issues and how my reps have voted. It wouldn't be a lost cause if enough people would do just that. We all here post on line, so we could put in just a touch more effort and keep up with Congress.org (the only place that I write to them where they will actually write me back). They do all the work. You just fill in the letter body. I've even written Obama once about the Cap & Tax.

And we all have a voice in 2010 & 2012. Let's use it. And those who have more backbone than I've got could actually run themselves on whatever ticket they want. Then maybe we could start weeding out the thistles.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Already a thread here: Internal Memo Confirms Big Giveaways In White House Deal With Big Pharma from 2 months ago.

I did a search on this just in case someone had done this.
I'm sorry, it didn't show up in the results. Maybe I can change it to something about urging people to do something? Are we allowed to change the title? I'm gonna try....

Edit for clarification of content.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

It didn't bother me.. no biggie. Perhaps it needed to be redone. Different people reading it afterall. As for your comment about urging people to do something, I'd like to know what exactly. It seems this administration just proceeds with anything they want to do with a total disregard for what the American public thinks or wants. It was bought and paid for a long time ago, the fact that this story never really got any media attention attests to that fact.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

There's not a whole lot we can do at this moment except to get prepared for the next election. I do keep writing my so-called reps so they know I'm opposed or for them (2 out of 3 reps I usually oppose). We've got to keep them on their toes. One of the two has actually started trying to be vocal in things that really do matter and the country doesn't need as a whole. I'm just waiting to see just how far she's willing to go.

As I said earlier in this thread, the easiest way to do this is to sign up with a political group that you agree with that will send emails or faxes for you. I personally prefer Congress.org (I'm not sure how many times I can mention their name before I can get in trouble for advertising
They are a free web site, do all the emails for free, so I don't think I'll get in trouble. )

When I use these guys, my reps actually respond (well, the 2 I usually oppose). Most of the time it's just your basic form letter that beats around the bush and doesn't ever say what they are going to do, but at least I know they are hearing from me. And that tells me they take Congress.org seriously. Congress.org sends you emails about the issues and can also send emails about how your reps voted if you'd so like. Congress.org makes it simple for you to email your reps by setting everything up for the email except the main body of the letter.

There was one time when my emails from Congress.org to one of my Senators suddenly became blocked from her inbox. I contacted Congress.org and I later received an apology letter from the Sen and haven't had a problem since.

If you're someone who can talk to people, give them a call. Flood their office with calls.

And then after A LOT of damage has been done in the next year, campaign against them and I plan on campaigning hard somehow. Use bumper stickers, put out campaign posters and such out in your yard or wherever you can find a spot. And encourage everyone to vote, but make sure you educate them first.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I'm just curious willow1d; how upset were you when the Bush whitehouse held secret meetings with the oil companies and soon there after we saw $4.00 gas?

www.washingtonpost.com...

How about when the Bush WH made it illegal to buy cheaper drugs in Canada.
the-surfs-up.com...

Did you campaign against the neocons with your bumperstickers and lawn signs?

Forgive me this thread belongs here .........www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I'm just curious willow1d; how upset were you when the Bush whitehouse held secret meetings with the oil companies and soon there after we saw $4.00 gas?

www.washingtonpost.com...

Actually I was recovering from a life degenerating disease at that time. I couldn't hold my head up for more than 30 minutes nor able to hold a substantial conversation much less ponder philosophy at the time. So I was totally unaware that that had even happened.

I do know I was very upset at the price of gas skyrocketing and being very upset that the administration wasn't doing anything about it. And believe me, I did my fair share of talking about it.

How about when the Bush WH made it illegal to buy cheaper drugs in Canada.
the-surfs-up.com...

Now this I understood to a point, if I remember right, that it was because people were getting placebos and not getting what they might desperately have needed. Beyond that, I'm not aware of any false studies. Again, I was still in a very bad way, so I might be wrong. And I still have a hard time thinking in depth if I'm too tired or am having a relapse, so I'm not against someone pointing things out I might be seeing wrong.

Did you campaign against the neocons with your bumperstickers and lawn signs?

No, I haven't campaigned in my life before, including against Clinton. I have never put a bumper sticker on my car for any reason (since I was out of my tweens, that is). The only thing I've ever put up in my yard before was the Ten Commandments.

But now, my freedoms are being taken away by both the Dems AND Reps. As I said before, this isn't about "political parties", it's about losing our rights, our freedoms, everything that this country was founded on.

And believe me, I would and will campaign against a Rep if they stand to take our rights away just as hard. I don't care about "titles". I don't care about what group they belong to. I care about the individual and how much harm or good they will do.

Forgive me this thread belongs here .........www.abovetopsecret.com...

The only "hate" that I've spread is against big government, not you or your party, as you have tried to do to me. You should ask, get to know my reasonings behind the posting first, then judge my beliefs.

It is a common trait for those who are partisan to automatically jump on comments as "hate" just 'cause they impart some knowledge against their "party". I would have been just fine with your post and questions had you not proven you had already had me "tried, judged and executed" by way of your last sentence.

So, the whole point of my "rant" here: if you want to shoot someone down, you'd better make sure of what you're shooting at first.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm basically supportive of the new president, but this deal with Big Pharma sucks. I thought it sucked last August when I first read about it and my opinion hasn't changed.

There can be no chance for real health care reform in this country until the insurance and drug companies are left out of it.

new topics

top topics

join