It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Obama American Flag?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
No more respect for what it is supposed to represent.

There's plenty of respect for what it represents. But not all of us see the symbol as important as what it represents. You're free to see it that way, but not everyone does.

There's a big difference between an actual thing and the symbol that represents that thing. There's the cross, and then there's what the cross represents. There's Au and then there's the thing that it represents (Gold).

Try writing "Au" on a piece of paper and take it to the bank and you'll soon see what I mean.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Just ideology, lol. That is about the most remedial explanation for the acceptance of this terrible alteration of the flag. Maybe only Americans are the ones who should be upset over this, I mean in the last 400 years we have done more to make sure the quality of life and freedom of our citizens comes first. This is a disgrace to all of the men and women who sacrificed their lives to make sure the greatness of this country would always have a pulse, and now a bunch of Ideologues want to trivialize the meaning and sacredness of the American Flag, talk about the pot calling the kettle black,lol. I agree that in reality most of these flags will probably end up being turned into scullies and do rags but it still trivializes the meaning of the greatest nation on the planet.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

To me, it will never be just a piece of cloth. It is a symbol that represents much more than that.

Honestly, I hear you. And I agree, but in adding Obama's image, it is no longer an American flag. Relax...it has become editorialising using an icon.

While it may be seen as an affront, it is not desecration. However, the image of Bush writing on the flag might be more legitimate a case. Would you get as excited about that? Simply asking...not trolling.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

No more respect for what it is supposed to represent.

There's plenty of respect for what it represents. But not all of us see the symbol as important as what it represents. You're free to see it that way, but not everyone does.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

Maybe that's what is wrong. We've (Americans) lost the ability to look at the flag as a symbol of what is best, bravest, in our country.

When I salute the flag, I'm not saluting a piece of cloth.

I'm saluting each and every person that has given their lives in order for me and mine to have a good life.

I am saluting the founding fathers for giving us this country.

I am saluting the people now who risk their lives on a daily basis here and abroad to make sure that I and my children can live a better life.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

To me, it will never be just a piece of cloth. It is a symbol that represents much more than that.

Honestly, I hear you. And I agree, but in adding Obama's image, it is no longer an American flag. Relax...it has become editorialising using an icon.

While it may be seen as an affront, it is not desecration. However, the image of Bush writing on the flag might be more legitimate a case. Would you get as excited about that? Simply asking...not trolling.

I served in the military as well. This makes me sick as would Bush or anyone, anything else. But you are right and Freedom of Speech applies.
I swore to defend the Constitution and this is a part of it.

Now, if they took a real flag and added his face, I would have a real problem with it. I mostly fly the Gadsden flag along with the Navy Jack these days.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by j2000]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Bush writing an autograph on a small flag is not the same as replacing the stars with an image of Obama. Just my opinion.

I would not be upset of there was an image of Obama with a flag, or having the stars and stripes for eyes or whatever such nonsense.

What it implies though is different. As much as I admire Ronald reagan, I would never sully the flag by putting his image on it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I vividly remember the pride in the American Flag and subsequent pride in our country that was shown in the days that immediately followed the 9/11 attacks.

Flags were flying on practically every home in my neighborhood, flags were affixed to cars, flag lapel pins were flying off the shelves.

The nation saw a reduction in flag pride during this last election cycle. There was controversy over Obama not wearing a flag lapel pin, not saluting the flag during the National Anthem, Obama pledging to rebuild a New America etc etc.

I know Obama is not behind this current flag. It it is just some dude looking to make an easy buck off of his fanatical supporters. This new flag just blatantly symbolizes what is happening to our country in a very bad way.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Big deal.
It's not as if this really has anything to with Obama. He didn't create it and is not selling, using or endorsing it.
And if you want to make an issue of symbolism "patriots', how come the Obama joker pic is OK? Doesn't it demean the office? Oh right, that's different.
Honestly, you guys always say it's not about race,it's about policy, but look at the damn stupid stuff you gripe about!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Funny how all of the liberals, Democrats, and Obama were rounded up when this flag appeared...

Even though Obama didn't want it, had nothing to do with it, it's his fault, right?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Bush writing an autograph on a small flag is not the same as replacing the stars with an image of Obama. Just my opinion.

I agree, but it remains symbolism just the same. Now, if somebody were to try and get you to salute that 'Obama pennant'...that would be another matter.

I'd save the wrath for that.

The Original Post is simply inserted to give people something else to be ticked about.

The New Obama American Flag? No...it aint. Anybody with anything above a room temperature IQ knows that. This OP is about getting right-wing rocks off...a practice that is getting increasingly tiresome.

I'd suggest that ya'll get out there and create some really good policies and find a really good candidate to present them and work your butts off to get them elected next time out. Like I said, the whine is tedious, reflects poorly on you and only creates animosity among yourselves.

It's a lot tougher to do something constructive. But you'll feel better for it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

I know Obama is not behind this current flag. It it is just some dude looking to make an easy buck off of his fanatical supporters. This new flag just blatantly symbolizes what is happening to our country in a very bad way.

I agree. Too many people don't look at the flag anymore and see what it is supposed to symbolize.

Which is why politicians can get away with so much now. Not to sway too far off topic, but the political climate is appropriate for this to be allowed. It won't make the news. It won't make headlines.

People have stopped caring.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

We already have someone.

Sarah Palin.

-don't hit me!-

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

We already have someone.
Sarah Palin.

-don't hit me!-

Well, then...
run her up the up the ol' flagpole and see who salutes!

A star for you for making me chuckle out loud!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Maybe that's what is wrong. We've (Americans) lost the ability to look at the flag as a symbol of what is best, bravest, in our country.

Hey, when the flag is raised and the song is played, I get all tingly, too, but this isn't the American flag we're talking about here. It's Obama and stripes.

People have stopped caring.

Oh, please! If people didn't CARE, they wouldn't be here posting. This faux drama is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Kidding aside, this really has less to do with Obama and more to do with what is so stinking wrong in our country.

To defame something like our flag is stupid at best and downright nauuseating at worst.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Hey, when the flag is raised and the song is played, I get all tingly, too, but this isn't the American flag we're talking about here. It's Obama and stripes.

Oh, please! If people didn't CARE, they wouldn't be here posting. This faux drama is ridiculous.

No faux drama. Just another symptom of what is wrong with our country.

As for the flag not being the american flag, you're right It is a bastardization, when ANY image is placed over it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
reply to post by mister.old.school

Its not fake. A quick google search turns up this:

www.neoplexonline.com...

Obama USA 3'x5' Flag
in heavy polyester material!

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Wimbly]

that's scary!!!

If americans do nothing to stop this maybe they really are sheeple.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhetoric

I'm one of those people who fought for our country, I did so not to allow this guy to fly the "right" flag in his own yard, I fought so he could fly any damn flag he wants to at his own house.

This is my favourite post of the day.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

HUH? Stop what?
Did you even READ the BS website?
You want to "stop" someone producing and selling....how?
And why..exactly? Under what legal authority?
Facist, just a little? Guess the First Amendment is just a suggestion to you?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
Guess the First Amendment is just a suggestion to you?

When faux outrage trumps Free Speech, we've got problems! The problem here isn't that someone disrespects the flag, it's that some people are "offended" and think that means more than the Constitution!

It's one thing to support free speech when you agree with what's being said, but if you don't support free speech because you disagree with someone, it becomes clear that your support is simply lip service. :shk:

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join