It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC, FDA, CBC, and WHO consider homosexuality a health risk

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It is not strictly based on whether the person has anal sex. It is more based on the FACT that homosexual men have a MUCH HIGHER rate of AIDS infection than most other groups in the population. They are just trying to save peoples lives. This is not a gay issue, it is a health issue.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Bingo! That is absolutely correct!

I_R

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I would be very surprised if anal intercourse was not practiced amongst a majority of homosexual men (I would do a search for stats but my computer might pick up something nasty). However, it is also practiced (though to a much lesser extent) by heterosexual couples so maybe this should be the question - not sexuality.
Me I can't give blood because I had malaria!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

Let's try this again shall we?

the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reworded the donor-deferral recommendations to state that any man who has had sex with another man since 1977 should not donate blood or plasma. This applies even to men who may have had only a single contact and who do not consider themselves homosexual or bisexual. Reported by Center for Drugs and Biologics, US Food and Drug Administration; AIDS Br, Div of Viral Diseases, Center for Infectious Diseases, CDC.

Found on first page.

This says that men who have sex with men, and by sex they mean anal intercourse.

This is the reason given, why should not all people be asked the question if it is easily transimitted through this activity then regular sex or any other type of sexual act?

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Oh no they are bigoted toward people who contracted Malaria. Malariaphobes.

Sorry you got Malaria and I am not picking on you, just trying to prove the point that it is ridiculous argument to say the CDC doesn't want gay men to give blood because they are homophobes.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Let me say it again, because you must have missed the first time. It is because gay men have a much higher rate of infection from AIDS than the general population. It started in the late 70's because that is when AIDS really started to spread through the gay population.

The reason they don't limit it to whether you had male on male sex more than once, or whether it was because you are bisexual and not homosexual, is that just by the mere fact that you had sex with another man statistically you just increased your chance of getting AIDS by 50 times.

To go further, as this thread proves, it they put any more loopholes in there then that would be more people in denial trying to give blood and putting everyone else as risk.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Actually before the homosexuals were blamed to be the ones spreading the HIV the Haitian community were the targeted first specially newly immigrant along with the drug users.

The so call the "patient zero that started the blame that it was a homosexual disease was nothing but a scaremongering tactic"

Right now HIV is an "everybody issue" I am glad that today people with HIV can live long productive lives.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet

Let me say it again, because you must have missed the first time. It is because gay men have a much higher rate of infection from AIDS than the general population. It started in the late 70's because that is when AIDS really started to spread through the gay population.

The reason they don't limit it to whether you had male on male sex more than once, or whether it was because you are bisexual and not homosexual, is that just by the mere fact that you had sex with another man statistically you just increased your chance of getting AIDS by 50 times.

Again you are using an estimate as fact. Don't. The CDC is very clear in it's reasoning, it's not the gay community it's the act of anal sex. The fact that more homosexuals are infected with the disease is a factor I will admit, but the policy should target ALL those who are at risk, whether it be low or high.

Any risk of HIV infection should be considered when donating blood, not just the "higher" percentage ones.

It's not like they take your word for it anyway, they screen and test ALL blood donations for HIV before it is sent to be stored.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Outdated science. See my post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Secondly, what about Magic? He's been HIV positive for what? 15 years without developing Aids? Science advances. In 10 years Aids won't even matter anymore. It'll be like syphilus or ghonorhea. They killed in the past, now it's a few pills. Then some will have to look at other thing to slap gays down. This won't, doesn't, work anymore.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Here are some stats for you. Though it is an everybody issue, it is more prevalent in men who have had sex with other men, whether they consider themselves gay, straight, or bi-sexual.

Transmission Category Estimated # of AIDS Cases, Through 2007*
Adult and Adolescent Male Adult and Adolescent Female Total
Male-to-male sexual contact 487,695 - 487,695
Injection drug use 175,704 80,155 255,859
Male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use 71,242 - 71,242
High-risk heterosexual contact** 63,927 112,230 176,157
Other*** 12,108 6,158 18,266

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The link so that ALL the info can be read.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

It doesn't matter anymore everybody can get HIV, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike and that is a fact that can not be avoided.

Still I find so hilarious that anti gays complain about gays when the statistics said that they can transmit among themselves that means if you are straight you are not in that group.

So, where is the problem? you should be happy that you will not get infected, but be aware make sure that the lady you will be getting intimate with have a good health bill signed by a doctor.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Outdated science. See my post:

Secondly, what about Magic? He's been HIV positive for what? 15 years without developing Aids? Science advances. In 10 years Aids won't even matter anymore. It'll be like syphilus or ghonorhea. They killed in the past, now it's a few pills. Then some will have to look at other thing to slap gays down. This won't, doesn't, work anymore.

Seriously this is not anti-gay. It is a health issue and they would and have done the same thing for other high risk groups like intraveinous drug users. Look at the stats I posted above. Here is a link AIDS Stats. The data is from 2007 so not outdated by any means.

Yeah Magic is lucky, and rich. Those drugs to keep people alive are not cheap. Hopefully one day it will be like a standard STD, but until then it is just common sense to protect the blood supply as much as possible. Just think what the cost to the nation must be for people of all sexual types with AIDS. Probably contributes a lot to the current cost of healthcare and the Medicaid costs. I feel bad for people with AIDS. I lost a friend who died from AIDS and it is a terrible way to die. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

This was never intended to be hurtful to homosexual men, it is just accepting the facts and making a wise choice based on containing the spread of a deadly disease.

I haven't said one thing on here anti-homosexual. So please don't make it out like I am blaming gay men for AIDS or being hateful.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by StinkyFeet

but until then it is just common sense to protect the blood supply as much as possible.

I just cut out the unnecessary parts. Looks logical to me.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I find interesting that I have never donated blood even when I am perfectly healthy.

No because I don't want to, but because I never find the time to just do it, while my husband was in the military service donated all the time.

If homosexuals can not donate blood they should not be ashame of it, actually people lie all the time, so who say they can not? is only a questionnaire what keeps them from donating, right?

If somebody is healthy and knows that is not reason why they can not donate blood regardless of gender preferences.

plain and simple.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm not sure I've read anything really anti-gay here. To me it sounds like anti-aids and just pointing out where the high statistical averages are and why gays are denied blood donation.

But everyone to himself and everyone go his own way. Maybe it won't matter in another 10 years who has it and who doesn't.

As far as Magic is concerned...I'm sure he has access to the best doctors and medical teams possible. A lot of people don't have that kind of access or money, insurance to help in times of need.

I_R

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
If homosexuals can not donate blood they should not be ashame of it, actually people lie all the time, so who say they can not? is only a questionnaire what keeps them from donating, right?

If somebody is healthy and knows that is not reason why they can not donate blood regardless of gender preferences.

plain and simple.

Exactly, I've been flamed in this thread for donating while i'm homosexual, that's what makes me think that it's really just anti-gay, me and my partner are healthy and faithful to eachother so there is no risk of either of us getting Aids unless we were out screwing every infected individual we could find. But since i'm still homosexual I shouldn't be donating? Doesn't make any since and I think the other side on here is starting to see that. There argument is ludicris, its like me saying heterosexuals shouldn't be donating because there is still a chance that they could get AIDS. It's a rediculous argument.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by idle_rocker
As far as Magic is concerned...I'm sure he has access to the best doctors and medical teams possible. A lot of people don't have that kind of access or money, insurance to help in times of need.

I_R

Not necessarily:

Walter Payton (July 25, 1954 – November 1, 1999) was an American football player who spent his entire professional career with the National Football League's Chicago Bears. Walter Payton was known around the NFL as "Sweetness". He is remembered as one of the most prolific running backs in the history of American football. Payton, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection, once held the League’s record for most career rushing yards, touchdowns, carries, and many other categories. He was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1993. Hall of Fame NFL player and coach Mike Ditka described Payton as the greatest football player he had ever seen—but even greater as a human being.

en.wikipedia.org...

Dead 10 years.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by idle_rocker
I'm not sure I've read anything really anti-gay here. To me it sounds like anti-aids and just pointing out where the high statistical averages are and why gays are denied blood donation.

How is it not anti-gay to say homosexuals can't give blood even if they DON"T have aids? Yeah homosexuals who like to have unprotected anonymous sex I can see that reguardless of orientation.

But earlier in the thread I said i'm healthy and me and my partner are faithful to eachother so there is no risk of either of us getting aids, but I should still be barred from giving blood because i'm a homosexual in your opinion?

[edit on 10/12/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Payton was also overweight (another health risk) while Magic is a lean, mean running machine. I'm just sayin...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join