It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Of Europe..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The United States of Europe (sometimes abbreviated U.S.E. or USE) is a name given to several similar hypothetical scenarios of the unification of Europe, as a single nation and a single federation of states, similar to the United States of America.

The United States of Europe is widely hypotheticised, fictionalised, or depicted as a superpower as powerful as, or even more powerful than, the United States of America. Some people such as T.R. Reid, Andrew Reding, and Mark Leonard, among others, believe that the power of the hypothetical United States of Europe will rival that of the United States of America in the 21st century. Leonard cites seven factors:
Europe's large population, Europe's large economy, Europe's low inflation rates, Europe's favourable climate, Europe's central location in the world, the unpopularity and perceived failure of American foreign policy in recent years, and certain European countries' highly developed social organization or quality of life (when measured in terms such as hours worked per week and income distribution). Some experts claim that Europe has developed a sphere of influence called the Eurosphere.

How would members of ATS feel about a U.S.E?
I think it's a good idea, it offers protection, trade and a great income.
The ony thing i don't like is laws being passed without a say, if they could change that factor i really think it would be good.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Europe is divided by more than just politics and countries. Even if, as you say, [We] Europe became the U.S.E we would not be able to function correctly. Language is an issue, despite the obviousness of the English language something that most of Europe speaks to some degree, a unified language would spark divisive national-conservative riots everywhere.

Tradition and religion mark another barrier. From Christians to Muslims, Buddism, Judaism and even Hinudism. A unified Europe would have a rough time homogenizing.

I really don't believe Europe is as uniform as it sounds. But perhaps you are right.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Its not too far off with the Lisbon treaty.. The EU is a sovereign entity after its ratification. Still fragmented but a country in a beurocratic sense, how powerful the new 'country' is from the start depends entirely on the first President.

I don't see how a totally united Europe as a single country will be any better than an extremely powerful EU supranational entity, Europe is a very diverse both culturally and economically.

It will eventually become that way though, probably not in the same way as the US because of all the cultural differences but it is growing tighter by the day. See what France and Germany are discussing - Sharing their stock markets and other aspects of their states - basically completely breaking down their borders over time to create a 'Core Europe' which can be joined by other states.

The 'actual' EU itself is only a year away from being a global political player and 30 years away from being a global military one... probably to replace much of the receding US empire in conjunction with closer US ties.

Its insane to see this happening so quickly in our lifetime.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I am an American now. Grew up in England, though. Would miss the British Empire. England has such a rich history. To allow it to be swallowed up in a USE senario would diminish its history.

Just my humble opinion, mind. . .

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I think this hypothetical USE is called the European Union, or EU. It isn't truly unified yet, but the creation of a single currency (the Euro) is a beginning. I see a similar sense of unification with the CERN laboratory. It is probably inevitable that Europe will unite, more or less.

I don't have much of a problem with a united Europe. I doubt they'd try to take over the world. From what I've seen, Many European countries are reasonable and well-intentioned. I cannot say the same for many other countries, including the US. Most) have humane laws and reasonably robust economies.

I see little danger of Europe becoming more powerful than the US, at least in the near future. The US (and Russia and China) have too much of a head start.

Ultimately, I imagine that the world will come under a single government. Unlike some people, I view this as a positive possibility, barring atrocities committed by NWO or the Illuminati or whatever. I really don't believe in any serious conspiracy to take over the world through violence and depopulation. I just think that one, big, happy family would work out better than all these smaller countries trying to steal resources from each other.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Im sorry for being blunt but you obviously know very little about the EU, how it works or how it as an entity is progressing.

Once the Lisbon treaty is ratified by all member 'states' the EU will have or will be integrating the following.. (Quietly might I add) Remind you of a country yes?

A constitutional legal framework for sovereign existence.
A president (more of a Prime Minister though & looks like its going to be Tony Blair).
A common economic policy.
A foreign office.
An elected parliament.
A common Currency.
A common market.
A freedom of movement, employment and living policy.
A Flag.
An Anthem.
A common taxation policy.
An EU police force (approx 30% of every member states police force will be converted to EU police).
A common policy for criminality.
EU embassies in foreign nations slowly replacing member state embassies.
A common defense policy.
A rapid response force of 60,000 troops EUFOR.
A 2.5 million soldier Army in the making.
A rapidly expanding "Defence" budget.
A Space Agency.
A propaganda office.
An Intelligence center.
etc etc etc etc - I could go on for hours but it would get boring.

Include 500 million people, approximately 30% of the worlds GDP and a policy of rapidly tightening the EU while strengthening its clout on the world stage, especially since the beginning of the US decline.

So that will be in 2010.. What do you think the EU is going to look like in 2025? Seeing as in the late seventies it was barely a common economic community.

All this is being done extremely quietly in order not to 'Upset' the population of the EU or its neighbours but over the next 5 years, the EU will have all of the above while at the moment, it has around a third of that.

The Lisbon treaty as I said before creates a sovereign entity out of the EU and allows for quicker integration of member states. Once it is ratified, the EU will be changing very rapidly and you will begin to hear a lot more of it.

Whether that is a good thing or not, we will have to wait and see

top topics

join