It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collapse of Shipping - Rotterdam, Netherlands Oct 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting. After reading another thread about the Ghost fleet of the Recession in Malaysia. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I did a utube search and came up with this.

I had heard about the Baltic Dry Index (BDI) before. Now we are starting to see the slow down in global shipping.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Anyone want to buy a cargo ship cheap.

There are likely a large number for sale for scrap prices.

Most are likely in areas where the anchorage fees are little to nothing.

Some would be a good investment as you could get them cheap and resell them in 3 or 4 years for a lot more them you bought them for.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I don't know how to explain it at all, but this video footage of the tankers just sitting there...it really freaks me out, man! This is probably the freakiest thing I've ever seen and yet I can't even explain to myself exactly why it's causing such a reaction in me.

Intuition, or irrational fear? What are the implications of large global shipping declines?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
to be fair, thr BDIY turned around the last week or so and broke out of it's downtrend... i'm not a global economy bull at all but technically this video is out of date now...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dickbar
to be fair, thr BDIY turned around the last week or so and broke out of it's downtrend... i'm not a global economy bull at all but technically this video is out of date now...

They are calling this picture 'consumer savings rate'. I'm not really sure why. A guess: As less people buy 10 year treasury notes, the fed must (In theory) raise interest rates to lure in more buyers (Or fed supporters) of the debt. So as interest rates rise people save less and spend more on consumer goods?

Baltic Dry Index compared to ten year bond rates, showing an amazingly strong lagging correlation. (Credit TheStreet.com)

Simons comes to the conclusion that the BDIY index does an excellent job of following 10-year interest rates on about a 1 year lag. At least this was the case right up until 2002, when the two diverged.

financewonk.blogspot.com...

So if the BDIY corrolates to 10 year notes I guess it's direction depends on which direction you think 10 year notes will move.

forecasts.org...

Reguardless there are still more empty ships out there than full ones. It looks like the BDIY crashed last year and it just took some time to move the excess world inventory out of the factories and off the docks. It will take time to fill up the ships again. There are new ships still being launched, adding to the excess capacity, that were ordered a long time ago.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by In nothing we trust]

new topics

top topics

join