It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The minimum wage hike has driven the wages of teen employees down to $0.00.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The Young and the Jobless

As the minimum wage has risen, the gap between the overall unemployment rate and the teen rate has widened, as it did again last month. (See nearby chart.) The current Congress has spent billions of dollars—including $1.5 billion in the stimulus bill—on summer youth employment programs and job training. Yet the jobless numbers suggest that the minimum wage destroyed far more jobs than the government programs helped to create.

Ie. the high MINIMUM WAGE has made the youth of America unemployable!

Congress and the Obama Administration simply ignore the economic consensus that has long linked higher minimum wages with higher unemployment. Two years ago Mr. Neumark and William Wascher, a Federal Reserve economist, reviewed more than 100 academic studies on the impact of the minimum wage. They found "overwhelming" evidence that the least skilled and the young suffer a loss of employment when the minimum wage is increased. Whatever happened to President Obama's pledge to follow the science? Democrats prefer to cite a few outlier studies known to be methodologically flawed.

Obama and the Democrats claim to care about youth when in fact they are hurting them severely in terms of future employment!

According to new numbers from the Labor Department, in 2008 only 1.1% of Americans who work 40 hours a week or more even earned the minimum wage. In other words, 98.9% of 40-hour-a-week workers earn more than the minimum.

Only the young workers are damaged by mimimum wage increases.

Study after study reveals that there are long-term career benefits to working as a teenager and that these benefits go well beyond the pay that these youths receive. A study by researchers at Stanford found that those who do not work as teenagers have lower long-term wages and employability even after 10 years. A high-wage society can only come by making workers more productive, and by destroying starter jobs the minimum wage may reduce long-term earnings

Teens need employment at whatever wage they can find! Congress is simply saying teens will not work!

The September teen unemployment rate hit 25.9%, the highest rate since World War II and up from 23.8% in July. Some 330,000 teen jobs have vanished in two months. Hardest hit of all: black male teens, whose unemployment rate shot up to a catastrophic 50.4%. It was merely a terrible 39.2% in July.

It's starting to hit really hard now and black male teens are being hit the hardest.

Do you still believe in high mimimum wage? If so, why don't we double it?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Well, minimum wage is actually pretty low in my opinion. A person working 40 hour weeks on minimum wage cannot support them self.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It's out of work adults moving into jobs that used to be held by teens. McD's now has more senior employees than ever.

It's not the minimum wage, it's job outsourcing and unemployment among the older work force that has them taking the jobs from teens and twenty-somethings.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

And if minimum wage were to become $10 million/hour the same would be true because of the price adjustment to everything to compensate for the $10 million/hour pay rate.

It is the problem of an established minimum wage and the lack of value of an actual dollar. Since a dollar is worth exactly a dollar's worth of labor the problem stems from $1 to a minimum wage earner is roughly 8 minutes (at $7.50/hr) and 24 seconds to say a $150/hr lawyer. Figure out a way to make that $1 to become more equitable to the janitor and the lawyer and the problems with the economy can be solved from there.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
reply to post by Miraj

And if minimum wage were to become $10 million/hour the same would be true because of the price adjustment to everything to compensate for the $10 million/hour pay rate.

It is the problem of an established minimum wage and the lack of value of an actual dollar. Since a dollar is worth exactly a dollar's worth of labor the problem stems from $1 to a minimum wage earner is roughly 8 minutes (at $7.50/hr) and 24 seconds to say a $150/hr lawyer. Figure out a way to make that $1 to become more equitable to the janitor and the lawyer and the problems with the economy can be solved from there.

MAke um work for free or for food I say!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

are you retarded or am I reading you wrong? Do you mean get a second job or get a higher paying job? Because the latter isn't very easy to do usually. Say you have someone in my situation, pretty fresh out of high school with no real job experience and in the middle of college. I have to support myself, and pay for my college so getting a second job isn't a very welcoming prospect because I already work double time with school. Getting a higher paying job isn't really possible right now, in this town and in this time to get a job at my age you NEED to know people, and I don't know many people. I've been hopping retail and waitstaffing jobs for a while and the jobs really just don't get better.

So saying "go get another job" doesn't really work for a lot of people. Especially not now.

This is why kids have babies and get married, paid for school yo.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Way to take us back to the years of slavery ...

I think the minimum wage has gone from bad to worse. Matter of fact, unless educted in Havard, I would like to see at least one of us happy with today's average pay.
- Not Likely!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

Way to take us back to the years of slavery ...

I think the minimum wage has gone from bad to worse. Matter of fact, unless educted in Havard, I would like to see at least one of us happy with today's average pay.
- Not Likely!

Or they can bid things on ebay -

Not my problem - they chose to be bums - let them live under bridges!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by mental modulator

are you retarded or am I reading you wrong? Do you mean get a second job or get a higher paying job? Because the latter isn't very easy to do usually. Say you have someone in my situation, pretty fresh out of high school with no real job experience and in the middle of college. I have to support myself, and pay for my college so getting a second job isn't a very welcoming prospect because I already work double time with school. Getting a higher paying job isn't really possible right now, in this town and in this time to get a job at my age you NEED to know people, and I don't know many people. I've been hopping retail and waitstaffing jobs for a while and the jobs really just don't get better.

So saying "go get another job" doesn't really work for a lot of people. Especially not now.

This is why kids have babies and get married, paid for school yo.

Get a second higher paying job, collect cans, mine for ore or pick fruit. Miminun wage makes poor people poorer because they become lasy. Get another job or share a room
with others or maybe there is a covered alley or cave in your neighborhood. You can always learn to hunt also, Kittons, mise or small unattended childrens even.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It's true that minimum wage isn't a living wage by any decent standard. But really someone who's working for minimum wage shouldn't be trying to support themselves on it. It's just not feasible. The problem is that it was never meant to be a living wage, at least not until fairly recently. It was meant to make sure people weren't being taken advantage of by employers. How exactly that morphed into it being meant to support yourself on I have no clue.

With the economy the way it is right now, it's no wonder teen's can't find jobs. There are plenty of people with experience going for the same jobs and an employer wants someone who already knows what they're doing over someone who doesn't. So I'm really not sure how much of the problem is the minimum wage being raised and how much is due to experienced workers going after the same jobs as teen's.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
understandable why americans teens can't get jobs ... they are lazy,undereducated,anti-intellectual, stupid,promiscous,gangstas and retarded . the chinese,russians and indians are more intelligent ,intellectual and educated

when NWO calls them useless eaters it is right they are useless eaters ...
these people will purge themselves from the gene pool when usa collapses and they will get darwin award

[edit on 12-10-2009 by sadchild01]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
understandable why americans teens can't get jobs ... they are lazy,undereducated,anti-intellectual, stupid,promiscous,gangstas and retarded . the chinese,russians and indians are more intelligent ,intellectual and educated

when NWO calls them useless eaters it is right they are useless eaters ...
these people will purge themselves from the gene pool when usa collapses and they will get darwin award

[edit on 12-10-2009 by sadchild01]

Why? I do not fit that stereotype. I have worked my ass off for beans, been humiliated for minimum wage. Why would you lump me in with the trash that is a percentage of American youth?

Seriously, if I were to say that black people are worthless crap that are too lazy to get a job and support themselves, I would be called a racist and accused of stereotyping.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Love it, greedy bankers, traders, and the gov't's policies over the last 8 years tank our economy and the teens can't get jobs because they hiked the minimum wage a tad!!
All the minimum wage does is make people too lazy to go out and look for better jobs....
And on and on we go!!
Tell ya what, quit taking so much money from the taxpayers and give to the "poor" for their child care while their working, their healthcare, their food, shelter, heat, ect!! Then we can all sit and watch just how high the wages in this country are forced up!!!

[edit on 12-10-2009 by dawnstar]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by plumranch

Well, minimum wage is actually pretty low in my opinion. A person working 40 hour weeks on minimum wage cannot support them self.

Minimum wage isn't meant to be a wage you live on. The whole point is to work your way up the ladder. If everyone made great money doing menial teaks, than what would be the point?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

Ya know, back in the late 70's early 80's a person COULD manage to live on what was the minimum wage...it wasn't the greatest life on earth, but it could be done.
now it can't!
so, well, I guess all those young adults now are susposed to stay home and let mom and dad keep them sustained while they "work their way up"?
of which, gee, they do that, and well, the likes of rush and friends blast them for that one!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I would like to see at least one of us happy with today's average pay

I have a below average wage and am as happy as can be. Then again I don't care about cosuming lots of useless junk to bring meaning to my life. I have lots of friends, family and time to enjoy my life as it is mean to be enjoyed.

Wealth does NOT = happiness.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
Minimum wage isn't meant to be a wage you live on. The whole point is to work your way up the ladder. If everyone made great money doing menial teaks, than what would be the point?

to pay somebody less than a livable wage for a weeks work is slavery.

you people would reintroduce share cropping and indentured labour if you thought it would make you a couple of bucks extra.

i'm fast becoming convinced that most americans are nothing but lazy, exploitative, money grubbing scumbags.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

i'm fast becoming convinced that most americans are nothing but lazy, exploitative, money grubbing scumbags.

They are, but you've got the wrong guy. You're the one who wants to pay some teenager 10 bucks an our to flip hamburgers. Some of you guys really live in your own world. You have no concept of hard work and want to make 50,000 a year doing nothing.

This is what happens when people like you force business to over pay entry level jobs. Those business are simply forced to stop hiring those unskilled teenagers and instead hire more reliable older people. Why pay a teenager to stand around and whine, when you can pay the same wage to a more mature older person? You guys don't think about stuff like that. You just want the everything handed to you.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
You can always learn to hunt also, Kittons, mise or small unattended childrens even.

Good idea, once they get over their aversion to hunting and killing these things they can start to hunt and kill rich uncaring arrogant bastards. Once they are extinct, the world will be a better place. But in the meantime, they have money and houses.

Of course relativity comes into play, what is rich to the desperate? Anyone that might have a few bucks. Think you can avoid becoming a target of an ever increasing base of people?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join