It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons For Survival Part III

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Folding Knives

As requested this is my take on folding knives.

First let me say that I am not completely unfamiliar with folders. In fact I carry 2 each and every day of my life. As a Law Enforcement Officer, they not only come in handy, they are essential for my day to day survival.

Here are some of the ones I own. They are numbered and I will address each one in numerical order.

One thing you will note right off. There are no Chinese knives. While I own a few and have found the quality to be fair, I will not trust my life to “fair”.... Yet the ultimate decision is of course, yours. The knives made in China are substantially less expensive for those on a budget.

1.Schrade “Old Timer”
Schrade sold out a few years ago and I have no idea who makes them or where they are made now. I can tell you that at one time, they ranked right at the top as far as quality, durability and reliability goes. They have always been a favorite of mine. Sadly no longer.

This particular knife I have used for years on camping trips and my yearly excursion into the wilderness. The large blade gives me a wonderful cutting edge and the handle is well made and rubber coated for a good grip.

2.Buck “Spring Loaded”
This is a new purchase and I have yet to really try it out.
I plan on making this my day to day clip knife. I carry a clip knife in a side pocket on duty.
“NOTE: Spring loaded knives are illegal in some locations to carry except for Law Enforcement”

3.Browning “Clip Knife”
This is the knife the Buck is replacing. It is NOT spring loaded.
This knife is made in Italy and was a present from a good friend. The blade shape is excellent and the handle very comfortable. I have carried it for years. The metal is especially good and I can put an edge on it that shaves. It also holds the edge very well in use.

4.Swiss Victorinox Multi-Tool
I also carry this on my web-belt. I do not always wear my web gear, but it is in the car with me at all times. It holds many tools and is of great quality. Like all Victorinox, it is made in Switzerland. While it is a little pricey, the quality is, in my opinion, unmatched.

5.Buck “Multi-Blade” Folder
I just included this as a whim and an example. First off I never carry a NON-Locking blade knife, second this Buck is made in China. Yeah, I was surprised as well, but apparently approximate half of all Buck knives are now made in China. Advice? Pay the extra money, be careful and get the quality knives made in the U.S.

6.Gerber Folder “Lock Back”
Now this is the real deal as far as pocket knives go. It's a quality Gerber Knife, made in the U.S., high quality, small and easy to carry, great metal in the blade, holds a great edge and fairly easy to sharpen. One of my favorites and it is certainly an attractive knife. I keep it as a back up to the Buck...

7.Buck Lock Back
I carry this knife everyday. It is very small and light, fits in my pocket nicely. It is an American made knife, good metal and a nice wooden handle.

8.Kershaw “Explorer”
My wife bought this knife for me a few years ago and it is a constant companion on my adventure trips. It clips nicely to my survival vest making it readily available. It is also nice to hold keys and other assorted items. It comes with a can opener, regular screwdriver and phillips head. While I have never really used the screwdrivers, the can opener is wonderful.

9.Puma “Huntec”
I've owned this knife for many years and used to carry it exclusively, using it many times throughout the day. Way before the Browning... It is a handmade knife, made in Germany and is of the finest quality. Alas, after all the years, it is starting to work loose around the handle and I had to discontinue carrying it. They are very expensive, but well worth the money.

Next:

This is just a knife set I wanted to share with you. It is a Winchester set and appears very nice. It is made in China however and I will not carry them; but I bought them, several in fact, to give as Christmas presents.

There you have it folks, I own several more knives, but this is a good sampling of what you can expect when looking for a good survival folder.

I think the folders are just as important as the fixed blades mainly due to their ease of carry. However, do not skimp on quality.

Look for a good thick blade, a positive locking mechanism, comfortable handle and of course, quality metal in the blade. Just remember that a folder has limitations. You can not pry with them, the blades WILL separate from the handle with enough pressure; even the best folders as shown above.

I would never recommend a NON-Locking Blade Knife for the very simple reason that the blade with close on your finger when you least expect it. Yep, happened to me more than once until I learned my lesson.

Please post any question you may have and I will try and answer them.

Thank you

Semper

[edit on 10/11/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Oh those are beautiful knives.... Sorry, I just love knives... the craftsman ship, the art... I love how there are so many knives for so many uses....

Great stuff. Anyway, I have quite a few knives of my own. I have come to prefer Gerber myself.

I have mostly folding lock blade knives for the reasons you list, actually. Easy to carry and they are quite handy in a fix. I agree, never buy a non locking folding knife. I have cut myself so many times with those things....

I don't really have any good fixed blade knives though and would like to look into brands besides Gerber... I actually do not use them that much but what are some brands that you would recommend for fixed blade knives? I would truthfully just like to have some, in case I ever decide to go hunting or what have you.

Now as you are a cop I wonder if you know of any good websites that have the knife carrying laws for each state... Particularly Texas... Since that is where I am from... I always carry two folding Gerber knives with me and quite frankly do not feel like getting arrested if I get pulled over....

Side note, I went with my mom to pay a ticket that she got ( She had no front license plate on her car) As usual I had my two knives with me, but as soon as I saw the metal detector I would have to walk through I told my mom I would just wait outside... I was afraid they would arrest me for having them and accuse me of terrorist acts for bringing a weapon into a police station or something!

SO to sum all that up, what are some good brands for fixed blade knives and do you know of any good websites that have the knife carrying laws for each state?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

As for what I recommend:

Weapons for Survival Part II: Edged Weapons.

As for knife laws...

Knife Laws by State

Hope this helps

Semper

[edit on 10/11/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
In addition for acquiring different quality knives for personal use, it may just be a wise move to also purchase some of the less expensive knives for trading purposes.

Some "fair" knives can be purchased relatively cheaply, and for those on a budget, you can find almost any knife you would wish for by googling smoky mountain knives.

You can request a catalogue, and you'll find a lot of value items.

Drop point skinners, fillet knives, and some more task-oriented knives for critters.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Smokey Mountain Knife Works

How did you know that is where I was this week?

I love that place and the online shop is great as well...

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semper. You already know the answer.

Birds of a feather . . .

Great minds think . . .

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Very nice collection.

I really would like #2 but I don't think they are legal here in Florida for regular citizens.

I know there are legal spring loaded knives that 'retract' but are easily modified to spring open (only would do that in a SHTF situation of course)

Currently I carry a Gerber and a multi-tool.

For a SHTF scenario I would probably also want a combat knife such as a K-Bar and something for skinning game.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

That helps so much! As I said, I just love knives. I just love the craftsman ship that goes into each one. I mean, there are so many different types it is almost as if each one is an individual work of art.

I used to have an M9 Bayonet just like this. ( except the handle was Army green)

I got it from an army/navy surplus store... I loved it but ended up selling it because I needed the cash. That baby was a beast. The blade alone was nine inches ( If I recall correctly... it may have been 7) and the handle added another 5 or 6 inches to it.I just loved it though never actually used it for anything.

Knives are a passion of mine and I think you have just inspired me to go out and look into buying some fixed blade knives.

Thanks for this info semper!

[edit on 11-10-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
thanks for the knife laws...but it didnt do much good. i live in maryland and the law pretty much states it will be up to a judge to determine if you were carrying a deadly weapon. (unless you were carrying one of several specifics knives declared deadly weapons)

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Just a note and NOT, I repeat NOT Legal Advice...

In all of the states I have worked, the distinction between what is considered a regular knife and an illegal weapon is...

INTENT

Let's say you are coming home from camping and get stopped.. The Officer sees a large bladed "hunting" style knife on the back seat. He asks you why it is in the car...

a) It is there for my protect officer
b) I just came from camping and have not taken it out of the car

a) Gets you arrested
b) Should be no problem

I hope everyone sees the difference here... That is as much as I am willing to tell you anyway..

Use your heads people..

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

That is a great knife and like you, I just LOVE the things...

The workmanship, the beauty.. Yep, I think they are beautiful..

But that is why I love guns as well

You would love this one:

The workmanship is exquisite...

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Just a note this is Florida statue:

790.01 Carrying concealed weapons.-- (1) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Subsection 4:

(4) It is not a violation of this section for a person to carry for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:

So I guess we can carry k-bars under our jackets for self-defense?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
For hunters,

Kanetsune knives- White and blue steels= Excellent and beautiful knives, kinda pricey but traditional style..

For pocket knives,
Coldsteel- Makes economical, tough blades. They recently switched from AUS8 to VG10 for their wonderful Voyager series of folders. I love VG10, Spyderco often uses this..

D2- is asemi stainless, has a very hard edge, and tough enuff. ^ to 62RC, no prob.

One of my favs, 1095 Carbon steel. Ka-bars have a slight pinch at the guard which bothers me, but I've yet to have a problem with mine. The stacked leather grip smells like ASS now, it is from 1986, however.

You really only need one tough pocket knife, I'd go with a Cold Steel pocket bushman or a rat cutlery RC-4. The former costs only $25 and is a beast.

Do you really wanna stab somebody? Go with a Benchmade Tactical pen.

For you ethnocentric patriots= Spyderco Manix 2 has a rock solid locking mech., i think it uses S30V steel = the bomb. Made in Golden, CO.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by thaknobodi]

[edit on 11-10-2009 by thaknobodi]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Pretty nice collection you have there.
I recently lost my trusty Benchmade, which was my constant companion. I have a small folding Gerber at the moment, but the quality is nowhere near what the Benchmade was. Don't get me wrong, I have owned a few quality Gerber knives in the past.

Your post has me planning on going to look for a replacement for my small knife tomorrow. The fiance will kill me if I come home with a $100+ Benchmade though. I'm going to blame you if that happens!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Use your heads people..

Semper

Great piece of advice for all facets of life, not just knife laws....

Anyway, That last knife pic that you posted for me? Beautiful! Who made that? Absolutely gorgeous.

As for guns, I have never really been around guns all that much, except I used to go hunting a bit with my Uncle when I was younger, but alas he died when I was 16 and the trips stopped and all his guns were sold off; and he did have lots of guns... A whole walk in closet over flowing with them

Never owned one myself ( Well a BB gun as a kid) but truth be told I may get one one of these days, along with a concealed weapons license. Well, I am still just thinking about that.... Who knows.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

I'm going to blame you if that happens!

Feel free...

And if it's OK, I'll use you for my wife!!!

I just ordered another one on line...

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

It's a Hen and Rooster ...

I had never heard of them before either, until last year my Pop (Father in law) wanted a H&R folding knife and I did some research..

The materials are made in Germany and the knife is constructed in Spain...

I fell in love with this at the Smokey Mountain Knife Works and had to have it.. Pretty expensive as far as knives go, but not terrible...

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Hen and Rooster huh? I don't think I have heard of them. I may have to look into that and see if I can't find one like the one in your pic.

As a matter of fact, I think I may have just found it... I seem to have found a good deal too.

www.knifecountryusa.com... -guard-pommel.html

Yeah, I may just order that. Such a beauty.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

That's it...

And a GOOD price too

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That put me over the edge. I just ordered it!

As odd as it may sound, my favorite knife out of my collection is an old beat up worn out knife. I am not even sure of the brand. It was my Dad's and he gave it to me.

it is a folding lock blade and it has a 4 inch blade and 4 inch handle. Solid black and ugly as hell but I love it. I guess it is the sentimental value.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join